A place to discuss various household and home improvement topics
Topic Author
Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary & JD 220A Reel

House Mounted Flag Pole

Post by Movingshrub »

I'm tired of using POS flag poles and am looking for input.

I've tried rotating aluminum ones. The flag still gets twisted, the painted ball at the top becomes discolored, and the plastic clips degrade and fail.

I'm flying a 3'x5' flag. Expected flag pole length 6'-7'. The existing one is 6', but 6 and a half or 7' would allow the flag to easily clear my house and gutter downspouts.

I am trying to determine if I'm better off using a light weight wood flag pole, that's either painted or marine grade wood finish.

I'm also considering using metal rotating swivels, such as these.

To be clear on my questions:
1. Has anyone used the swivels shown in the photo? If so, feedback is welcome and/or alternative suggestions are appreciated.
2. I'm seeking suggestions on flag pole material, whether it's wood, copper pipe, or another aluminum pole. I assume weight has to be taken into consideration so as to avoid overloading the mounting bracket.

Thank you.

Herring
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 6500sqft
Mower: Honda HRN

Re: House Mounted Flag Pole

Post by Herring »

Following, I’m also looking for a new house mounted flag pole. Ours now is one of the cheaper wood ones, however I spray painted it gloss black to match the shutters. Also the bottom is attached with a heavy zip tie that allows it to freely rotate. The brackets in the picture will be a great upgrade.

I have found that a heavy flag will prevent twisting and getting caught. After freeing the cheaper flag we had almost daily, I chose the Annin Tough-Tex 3x5 and have had no problems with it getting caught or twisting.

Topic Author
Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

@Herring I have been using all annin flags as well. I was using the signature series for a while but switched to the nyl-glo ones for the last year.

PodScot
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by PodScot »

I bought a flag and pole kit at Costco a few years ago. It uses plastic swivels which rarely let the flag twist up. We change out the flag once in a while for different things and the "theme" flags are cheapy amazon stuff that doesn't twist up either, American flag is heavy cloth, not sure of the material but not junk like the theme flags. I found you need to leave a little slack between the upper and lower mounts on the pole, if it's tight it twists quickly. So far the pole still looks great but the American flag has faded to the point I need to source a new one. The wood poles and those mounts you pictured are what I was going to go with if the Costco stuff didn't work.

Topic Author
Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

https://www.gettysburgflag.com/flagpole ... -flagpoles

Something like this had crossed my mind. I’m concerned about the weight of oak exceeding the capacity of my flagpole bracket.

Herring
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 6500sqft
Mower: Honda HRN

Post by Herring »

Movingshrub wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 am
https://www.gettysburgflag.com/flagpole ... -flagpoles

Something like this had crossed my mind. I’m concerned about the weight of oak exceeding the capacity of my flagpole bracket.
That is definitely way nicer than any store bought flag poles I’ve found! The end looks squared off and I don’t see on their site a square mounting bracket.

Topic Author
Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

@Herring

I’m not planning on purchasing that one. I’m leaning towards making one that is similar.

Chill
Grass Type: Unsure
Lawn Size: 100m2
Mower: Webb push mower

Post by Chill »

Do you even need a flag outside your house? are you likely to forget what country you are in ?

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

Chill wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:12 am
Do you even need a flag outside your house? are you likely to forget what country you are in ?
This is an off-topic/trolling post. It adds no value to the conversation. Please stop.

Chill
Grass Type: Unsure
Lawn Size: 100m2
Mower: Webb push mower

Post by Chill »

Ware wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am
Chill wrote:
This is an off-topic/trolling post. It adds no value to the conversation. Please stop.
I was asking a question. Is that not what this forum is for?

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

Chill wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am
Ware wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am
Chill wrote:
I was asking a question. Is that not what this forum is for?

If you need additional guidance, please send me a PM. Also please update the location field in your profile to include your country (UK) at a minimum.

BobRoss
Grass Type: Northern grass and weeds
Lawn Size: 3.75 Acres
Mower: Simplicity Cobalt 61"

Post by BobRoss »

I had a cheaper flag pole kit attached to my garage at my old house and it would constantly get wrapped around the pole and sometimes even make its way up on top of the roof. I disliked that and it really bothered me. My new house has an actual flag pole and I love it. If your yard can handle an actual pole, I would look at that option too.

DFWdude
Lawn Size: 15,500 sq ft
Mower: Z355R, CaliTrimr, Honda Rotary

Post by DFWdude »

I use swivels, and they are awesome.
I use an Al pole, and the pole mount is attached to my stone face via threaded rod and masonry adhesive (hilti). I couldnt pull it off with a D10!

Topic Author
Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Chill wrote:
Need?
Never heard of her.

Topic Author
Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am
I use swivels, and they are awesome.
I use an Al pole, and the pole mount is attached to my stone face via threaded rod and masonry adhesive (hilti). I couldnt pull it off with a D10!
Which swivels? The ones I posted or different ones?

Threaded rod is a smart idea that I hadn’t considered. Right now I have lead anchors with brass screws. I am leaning towards a wedge anchor but having a hard time finding something that is exterior rated and with a countersunk head.