A place to discuss various household and home improvement topics
Topic Author
raymond
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia & Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10,000 square feet
Mower: 200cc Honda HRX

Kitchen Appliances

Post by raymond »

Hey folks - I am planning for a kitchen remodel and will need to replace all our kitchen appliances… microwave, oven, fridge, dishwasher, stove, etc.

Do y’all have any favored brands/lines you recommend I consider?

Not looking to break the bank w/ Wolf and Sub-Zero, but want to buy quality stuff at a reasonable price :lol:

rhanna
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8000 sq ft
Mower: TruCut H20 and Honda rotary

Re: Kitchen Appliances

Post by rhanna »

Do not buy a Samsung refrigerator. google samsung class action lawsuit. This problem isn't unique to older models.

Actually I would suggest getting a frig with the ice maker in the freezer if you want one and the water line inside vs through the door. That will be the next frig I purchase.

I've had good success purchasing through Applianceconnection.com If you can handle a somewhat open delivery date they are great. Usually have good sales with multiple appliance purchases. I've bought a frig, washer and dryer with them.

jeffjunstrom
Grass Type: SSS 5500 Sunny Mix
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Husqvarna 21in. self propelled

Post by jeffjunstrom »

rhanna wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 am
Do not buy a Samsung refrigerator. google samsung class action lawsuit. This problem isn't unique to older models.
I came here to say the exact same thing about LG. Their market saturation makes you think they're at the top of the game, but a large class action (and my own personal broken refrigerator) tells another story. Our compressor blew, along with some of the electrical circuitry that controls the machine. The local repair guy comes out and tells us he can fix it for $1100, with no guarantee it won't happen again, or we can buy a new fridge (from GE) and not have these issues. We chose option 2.

As for other recommendations, I can't rec Bosch dishwashers enough.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

We liked the Bosch dishwasher in our old house, but couldn't get them this time around. Like a lot of other things, supply chain disruptions have significantly impacted kitchen appliance availability. So depending on your project timeline, note that availability may limit your options.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

Find out what stores sell the most appliances in your area, especially stores that service appliances instead of just retail. Ask them what they see for repair volume and major issues. I think the big boxes are a risky way to buy non-disposable appliances these days. We are lucky to have a couple great independent appliance stores here in the area as well.

I have LG front load washer/dryer - been great (4 years in now) from a reliability standpoint. More features and cycles than the primary user will ever use. She's more of a load it, slam it, and push the button type rather than one to try different cycles and features.

GE Profile Fridge - French Door, Bottom Freezer, Ice & Water in door. Autofill is actually something we all use daily. Throw a pitcher on it and go do something else. Or have it filling cups while setting the table. No issues, it's now 5-6 years old. The water filter racket is annoying but was easily mitigated.

Replaced a POS entry-level (builder supplied) GE dishwasher with a Bosch, I love it but there is a caveat. The drying system Bosch uses is VERY energy efficient (I'm impressed, somebody waaay smarter than I came up with that one.) and effective IF your dishes retain heat long enough. I have 3 boys still using plastic dishes primarily and if you have things in there that retain lots of water like upside-down Gladware etc. you aren't going to get a perfectly dry load at the end of the cycle. I don't see it as a big deal, my wife finds it supremely annoying. I'm happy that I no longer need Active Noise Canceling headphones to watch TV after dinner and that the dishwasher is going to last long enough to where this issue should mostly go away as the boys graduate to ceramic flatware. Also, big vote for a 3rd rack in the dishwasher. It opens up capacity (even if the available height is restricted) in ways I would not have thought of otherwise. For what it's worth, I am not a pre-wash your dishes type. If it fits, it ships. My #2 consideration was a KitchenAid with an active drying cycle.

Happy with the GE Microwave (over the range, 1200 watt) and oven. The oven is your pretty standard gas range and oven. We are not gourmet chefs and are pretty easy to please in these areas. Both are 6 years old and show no signs of letting up anytime soon. I generally like gas appliances whenever gas is an option.

Boy_meets_lawn
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 11000
Mower: JD 220e

Post by Boy_meets_lawn »

Went with a Bosch fridge after dealing with the Samsung ice maker issue. When the dishwasher dies it will be replaced with a Bosch.

dicko1
Grass Type: A little bit of everything
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: JD335 tractor

Post by dicko1 »

jeffjunstrom wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 am

I came here to say the exact same thing about LG. Their market saturation makes you think they're at the top of the game, but a large class action (and my own personal broken refrigerator) tells another story. Our compressor blew, along with some of the electrical circuitry that controls the machine. The local repair guy comes out and tells us he can fix it for $1100, with no guarantee it won't happen again, or we can buy a new fridge (from GE) and not have these issues. We chose option 2.

As for other recommendations, I can't rec Bosch dishwashers enough.
I had to chuckle at this. I bought all GE Profile appliances several years ago and they've all been horrible. The Fridge died at least once a year until I replaced it. First the controller board, then fan, then the compressor relay, then back to the controller board. The turntable in the microwave died about a year after I bought it. I still have the range but the igniters on the burners keep dying every couple years. I will never ever buy another GE appliance again.

I bought an LG fridge to replace the GE that died that (knock on wood) is still working after a year. I've heard the linear compressor horror stories and so far its been more reliable than the GE fridge.

Dont even get me started on the Whirlpool front loading washer. That thing shakes itself silly while walking across the basement floor on the spin cycle.

Seriously, I'm of the opinion that there are no good appliance manufacturers anymore unless you go high-end. Anything with electronics in it, and thats all of them, means its MTTF is going to be pretty low.

The only appliance I have that hasnt died at least once is the Kitchenaide dishwasher and even that has a recall on it where its wiring harness can catch on fire.

I've heard good things about Bosch too but there werent many places around here years ago that carried them.

Then there's been a consolidation in the industry. The old brands dont mean what they used to.
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

Oh yeah, I forgot. I wont ever touch anything made by Danby. Their dehumidifiers last about a year before dying. I also have a firm non-negotiable rule that anything with the name Black and Decker on it will not cross the threshold of my house.

PodScot
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by PodScot »

I had an appliance repair guy to take care of an oven issue I had. We have all Samsung kitchen appliances that are all about 5 years old that came with the house. The repair guy said he would decline a repair call on the Samsung fridge and basically just get a different brand if it has issues. So far we had an oven issue, simple igniter, dishwasher dripping from poor assembly that was an easy fix once I found a video showing what to do.

hobbyaddict1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6,000
Mower: Toro timemaster

Post by hobbyaddict1 »

I can also attest to "do not buy" Samsung appliances. We always had a good experience with their televisions so we gave other products a try... We purchased the Samsung Refrigerator,Stove, washer, and dryer. Refrigerator was repaired 3 times before we bought another. Washer was recalled(have not had an issue since the recall), Dryer broke, however I did repair myself and it has held up since then(Plastic pulley mechanism for the drum/belt. We have not had an issue with Samsung convection oven (7yrs) however we have refrained from using the self cleaning option as we heard from a repairman that it could result in issues.

We replaced refrigerator with a Kitchen Aid, and it has worked well. When we made our original purchases we went with a Bosch dishwasher and it has performed flawlessly and is very quiet. So... with our experience I would highly recommend the Bosch dishwasher(7 yrs) and we enjoy the Kitchen Aid refrigerator(5 yrs). Both of the later brands are a bit more but nothing like the high end brands you mentioned.

ps -Also purchased an LG Microwave, we have not had any issues with it and it is used everyday several times a day. (7 years) I would recommend that as well.

Different brands but they all came in the stainless so we were able to match everything up.
If we had to do it again I think I would give Bosch our business...

Kallgren
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Jacobsen 522, Craftsman 42”

Post by Kallgren »

I am of the opinion that for a fridge, the fewer the gagets the less likely to fail. We have 15 year old KitchenAid oven/microwave and refrigerator (icemaker only, no water dispenser) that have been excellent. We did have a KitchenAid "Dish Drawer" but mice would get into the plumbing and chew up the flex hoses that fed the drawers, great concept, but problematic. After ten years or so, we replaced with another Kitchenaid dishwasher which has been trouble free.

We did have to have the fridge recirculating pump replaced two years ago, the service tech told us that he was servicing a relatively new Korean mfg with a internal camera and computer screen on the door, something failed and replacement part was something like $1100 - labor included.
Here is Bills Backyard Pitch and Putt journal viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15487

Rucraz2
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 44,700
Mower: John Deere x540

Post by Rucraz2 »

We went through all this last yr. Endless research etc. They each have their goods and bad from every repairman and salesmen I talked to. Samsung does have more issues from what I've heard. Lg did change their fridge compressors in "19 which has made a big difference. kitchenaid stoves and bosch dishwashers appear to be top for those. Otherwise take your pic. We did end up with LG kitchen set and went with the same for washer and Dryer. Mostly in part that the repairmen said they are easy to work on and parts are available. And so far seem to be holding up fine.

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

Us and In Laws both had Samsung Fridges, yeah, I filled out my paperwork for the class action.

We talked to the repair guy who was out multiple times under Lowes warranty and I asked him what "major" brand he sees the least issues out of in regards to service calls. He told us LG. We bought an LG fridge 5ish years ago, been very happy.

FWIW every screen in our home is Samsung and we are on our second front load washer/dryer combo in 13 years (I replaced the heating element in the 1st dryer at the 5 year point). We repurposed them at the 7 year point to somebody who needed them as we were upgraded to newer tech.

I LOVE Samsung stuff, but won't touch another kitchen appliance from them.

Thejarrod
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 50,000
Mower: Ferris IS700z

Post by Thejarrod »

I’m in the process of upgrading all of our kitchen appliances
Availability is still crap. I knew our fridge was on the way out, so I had been doing research for a while. When it died, I had to take whatever was in the warehouse. We got lucky. They had the Bosch 800 in stock.
Other appliances are on order. No ETA .
We wanted Bosch for two reasons. The series 800 fridge has two compressors. Other than the much more expensive wolf and sub zero, no other model had that. Second was the drying function of the dishwasher. It did the best at drying plastic. Our kids are little so we use a ton of plastic cups and bowls and plates.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

Thejarrod wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm
I’m in the process of upgrading all of our kitchen appliances
Availability is still crap. I knew our fridge was on the way out, so I had been doing research for a while. When it died, I had to take whatever was in the warehouse. We got lucky. They had the Bosch 800 in stock.
Other appliances are on order. No ETA .
We wanted Bosch for two reasons. The series 800 fridge has two compressors. Other than the much more expensive wolf and sub zero, no other model had that. Second was the drying function of the dishwasher. It did the best at drying plastic. Our kids are little so we use a ton of plastic cups and bowls and plates.
Where the hell was that when I bought mine? :lol: I have a PureDry model.

Thejarrod
TLF Supporter

Post by Thejarrod »

we only have the Bosch Fridge right now. its nice, but it did leak water. Turns out that an internal drain hose should have been routed to an evaporation pan. it was out of position so it leaked on the floor. repair man fixed it in less than 10 minutes.

Topic Author
raymond
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia & Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10,000 square feet
Mower: 200cc Honda HRX

Post by raymond »

Thanks all!!! Super helpful replies.

MarineOh3
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6k
Mower: Toro GM1000 / Honda HRX

Post by MarineOh3 »

About to redo our kitchen - 4th kitchen I am doing in the last 16 years or so. We just like our kitchens and when we buy a new place, the kitchen is usually the first thing we do.

Bosch dishwashers are the best you can buy. Super quiet (can’t even really hear that it’s on) and they get everything clean. The cycles do take a while (~2 hours) but the thing just works.

Check out Bertazzoni ranges. Professional Series. Their more expensive than your usual brands but not in the range of Wolf or Thermador.

We are splurging on a True Residential fridge this time but Bosch makes good refrigerators as well.

Lastly, go with a Bosch speed oven instead of a microwave.

White94RX
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 4000 square feet
Mower: Swardman Edwin 2.1

Post by White94RX »

Anybody have any experience with LG ovens and/or microwave? We have a 1.5 built in (oven on bottom, microwave on top) that's 18 years old and due for replacement. The fridge and dishwasher are newer Whirlpool Gold units, but it seems like the Whirlpool oven didn't have the best reviews, so we were thinking about the LG instead.

Thejarrod
TLF Supporter

Post by Thejarrod »

Does anybody else care about using the same brand of appliances for the entire kitchen?
Wouldn’t a Bosch fridge have a different style, color, etc from a GE and so on?

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

Thejarrod wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Does anybody else care about using the same brand of appliances for the entire kitchen?
Wouldn’t a Bosch fridge have a different style, color, etc from a GE and so on?
Yeah, you’ll even see subtle differences between product lines within a brand - like different handles.