A place to discuss various household and home improvement topics
Topic Author
jeffjunstrom
Grass Type: SSS 5500 Sunny Mix
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Husqvarna 21in. self propelled

Gas Fireplace Insert Maintenance and Repairs

Post by jeffjunstrom »

We have a gas fireplace insert in our living room. Went to switch it on this week because #autumn, and only the central flame stays lit, it doesn't spread. This isn't our exact model but it's close, for reference...

https://www.firepatio.com/store/Cosmo-I30-p141913976

I called the installer and they want $200 to come out and take a look, and they refuse to troubleshoot over the phone. With the caveat that I understand it's dangerous to play with gas and fire, but with the further caveat that I know how to shut of the breaker, the gas line, and am otherwise fairly handy, has anyone done any basic maintenance on anything like this? I'd hate to be out $200 and waste this guys time if its something as simple as taking a brush to the tiny gas outputs or something. Power and gas supply clearly aren't the issue, I'm thinking some sort of clog or other trip-up that isn't allowing the gas to keep moving down the line to the rest of the fireplace.

Any insight appreciated.

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000sf (hills! :-/
Mower: JD X580, Bolens21”wMulchBlade

Re: Gas Fireplace Insert Maintenance and Repairs

Post by 440mag »

What to Know About Gas Fireplace Servicing and Maintenance:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/ ... intenance/

Most of the maintenance routine for your gas log fireplace insert can be performed by you on a regular or periodic basis.” (Buuuuuuut ……!): https://www.doityourself.com/stry/gas-l ... aintenance
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

LegionLawn
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 9,000
Mower: Husqavarna

Post by LegionLawn »

jeffjunstrom wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:28 pm
We have a gas fireplace insert in our living room. Went to switch it on this week because #autumn, and only the central flame stays lit, it doesn't spread. This isn't our exact model but it's close, for reference...

https://www.firepatio.com/store/Cosmo-I30-p141913976

I called the installer and they want $200 to come out and take a look, and they refuse to troubleshoot over the phone. With the caveat that I understand it's dangerous to play with gas and fire, but with the further caveat that I know how to shut of the breaker, the gas line, and am otherwise fairly handy, has anyone done any basic maintenance on anything like this? I'd hate to be out $200 and waste this guys time if its something as simple as taking a brush to the tiny gas outputs or something. Power and gas supply clearly aren't the issue, I'm thinking some sort of clog or other trip-up that isn't allowing the gas to keep moving down the line to the rest of the fireplace.

Any insight appreciated.
Full disclosure, I have a wood burning fireplace but if your pilot light works it’s sounds like some sort of clog farther down the line. Might as well try cleaning out the holes/line if you have the ability to turn off the gas to the unit and the breaker. If that doesn’t work then call the repairman.

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

We just had our 25 yr old insert serviced for about the same price they quoted you. In our case, it was money well spent. He fixed a couple of small issues and cleaned the entire unit.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

We have one also and barely use it as it rarely gets cold enough to turn it on but we had the same issue as you are having and it's usually just a build up of dust on the igniter. I removed all the fake logs so I could get easy access to the mechanism and blew it out with some canned air and cleaned the igniter with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Just follow the lighting instructions that came with it and you should be fine.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

mattw10517
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by mattw10517 »

If the pilot is lit but the fire won’t light, it’s potentially a thermopile problem. Easy to verify with a multimeter and a cheap DIY fix. Agree that I would take everything apart and clean it also.

DFWdude
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,500 sq ft
Mower: 20 & 25” Cali, Honda Rotary

Post by DFWdude »

I am in the exact same boat, but two units that wont light the main burners. 225 to come take a look....no thanks!
Lawn Journal; viewtopic.php?t=24210

Topic Author
jeffjunstrom
Grass Type: SSS 5500 Sunny Mix
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Husqvarna 21in. self propelled

Post by jeffjunstrom »

UPDATE: I did everything I could, which wasn't much, so we bit the bullet and had the guy come out. Turns out it was rainwater coming back through the exterior vents, which flooded the system. They installed a new shield over the vent, and covered all costs, so there was that. It was likely a combo installation by the vendor and builder not putting a gutter over the vent problem. It's fixed...for now, but at least we know the cause.