Lawn Care Forum banner

CenlaLowell Lawn Journal

81K views 243 replies 33 participants last post by  CenlaLowell 
#1 ·
I know I should have been made one of these but here goes. Me and my wife had this home built for us in 2013, so lets start there. All I did here is plant trees everywhere. This picture here was in 2013

I've never really sprayed any chemical until this year, so all the growth I've gotten have been from granular fertilizer's and time. As you can see from this picture there was no grass planted at this time just bermuda and weeds. This is in 2014

2015 was the year I spot planted St Augustine in my yard unfortunately I could not find any pictures. So, in this 2016 picture there was a lot of growth both in turf and plants. all I've ever put down was 8-8-8 at this point.

In 2017, I really got serious about my lawn, so that's when I started reading forums about lawn care and the what not. I started trying out different fertilizer, etc and some over the counter chemicals. St Augustine has spread a good bit by now. This is also the year I purchase the lot behind my house which extended my backyard.

Which brings me to this year. I've purchased plenty of chemicals throughout this year. Alot of them will be applied starting in the fall. As far as now I've applied propiconazole, 3336, Imid, Bifen, Liquid Iron, and some kelp4less products. I've definitley gotten hooked to lawn care.

I looked forward to updating this this fall.

See less See more
#2 ·
CenlaLowell said:
Which brings me to this year. I've purchased plenty of chemicals throughout this year. Alot of them will be applied starting in the fall. As far as now I've applied propiconazole, 3336, Imid, Bifen, Liquid Iron, and some kelp4less products. I've definitley gotten hooked to lawn care.
I'm trying to finish off my gray leaf spot so I can finally do my first Celsius app (St. Aug 80% and Bermuda 20%). I got Propiconazole in last week and I'm looking to do an app this weekend. This weekend will be ~28 days since my application of Azoxystrobin, so its time for a fungicide change. How did you're portion of Bermuda handle the Propiconazole? I'm hoping it'll suppress mine enough for the St Aug to finally take over.

Hard to ID some of those plants running along the back side of the property, other than the crepe myrtle's. Are you looking to create a privacy screen with them?

#4 ·
Stellar P said:
CenlaLowell said:
I'm trying to finish off my gray leaf spot so I can finally do my first Celsius app (St. Aug 80% and Bermuda 20%). I got Propiconazole in last week and I'm looking to do an app this weekend. This weekend will be ~28 days since my application of Azoxystrobin, so its time for a fungicide change. How did you're portion of Bermuda handle the Propiconazole? I'm hoping it'll suppress mine enough for the St Aug to finally take over.

Hard to ID some of those plants running along the back side of the property, other than the crepe myrtle's. Are you looking to create a privacy screen with them?
Hey man, I didn't have any suppression of my Bermuda. I think my St Augustine will take over eventually if I can ever keep it healthy for a full season. Anytime you get a fungus or anything that hurts the St Augustine will lose ground in the fight against Bermuda. I've seen this from taking pictures of my lawn every week when I was fighting brown patch.

I plan on spraying prodiamine in September. Then, when temperatures drop to the right level I will do a blanket spray of dismiss. After that I will eventually spray Celsius with a MSO on just dallisgrass. I need some Revolver so I hope someone will have some on the marketplace man that stuff is high.

Plants, I had no real reason for how I planted them other than I want everything to line up perfectly. I have crepe myrtles, indian Hawthornes, magnolias, palms, and Jasmine's in the back. I definitely will take any advice on how to make the landscape look better.

Look forward to keeping this journal up and showing my progress.

#6 ·
For the weekend of 24-27 I ended up mowing today. Then spraying humic 12 and 15-0-0 liquid fertilizer with iron. Tomorrow evening I'm going to hit the yard with the last dose of granular fertilizer. I'm trying to get my yard in the best shape possible for labor day. One day at a time.

#7 ·
This backyard lot was purchased in 2016 to extend my yard. This part is probably about 20% St Augustine, 40% Bermuda, and the rest weeds. So I will start tackling this in the fall season.

I don't know why but I love the pictures showing the back of my home.

#9 ·
Colonel K0rn said:
Your yard is coming right along! I have enjoyed the progress you've made on it since you joined. I would love to plant some crepe myrtles on my lawn, but haven't figured out where I'd plant them.
Thanks man, I get a lot of education and motivation from this forum. You got to find a spot crepe myrtles are some beautiful trees

#10 ·
Back at it again this weekend. To get ready for labor day, 8/25/18, I put down a fertilizer application using 33-0-8 from the feed store

On 9/4/18 I put down a liquid application of fertilizer, propiconazole, and 3336.

On 9/5/18 I put down a pre emergent application of prodiamine.

This weekend I'm just mowing, edging, and trimming. Slow progress is still progress.

#11 ·
CenlaLowell said:
Anxiously waiting for your rows of landscaping to reach full maturity and be towers of foliage. We're on this 10+ yr ride together my friend.

I was going to do my pre-em app closer to late September. Don't let my decision cloud your judgement on when you've applied yours, but is there a reason you've applied it now? Curious of others' timing is all.

#12 ·
Stellar P said:
CenlaLowell said:
Anxiously waiting for your rows of landscaping to reach full maturity and be towers of foliage. We're on this 10+ yr ride together my friend.

I was going to do my pre-em app closer to late September. Don't let my decision cloud your judgement on when you've applied yours, but is there a reason you've applied it now? Curious of others' timing is all.
I'm waiting as well on these trees to mature my front lawn trees are getting up there. Some are 15 feet tall if not taller.

Mainly because I want to get another application of pre emergent down in October. Dithiopyr is what I plan on putting down next. Hopefully I can also get simizine down in the middle October. I don't want any weeds come next season, so I'm throwing the kitchen sink at the lawn.

#13 ·
Update

On 9/8-9/9 I sprayed Celsius without MSO and with it. On different parts of the yard to test it. Of course it also rained after I sprayed it so my results were not that good.

The Virginia Button weed ⬇ had some die back for sure.

The crabgrass really got hit hard but only in certain spots even though I blanket sprayed⬇⬇

This right here is dallisgrass Celsius did nothing to this⬇⬇⬇⬇ even though it says it should suppress it.

Next up is to spray with Dismiss+MSM Turf. Maybe spot spray Celsius on the buttonweed only. To combat the dallisgrass I'm going to wait until winter and spray it with glyphosate.

#14 ·
This weekend 9/21-23 update.
I sprayed dithiopyr, bifen XTS, and extreme blend on 9/18

I got about four yellow spots coming in my St Augustine I think its from either Celsius (spraying to much) or Eagle20 (too hot). I really can't say for sure.

Other than that plugging along as usual. Next year will be my year to show off a beautiful lawn.

#15 ·
Weekend of Oct 5-7

These results are from previous applicaton I put down so here goes.

Fungicide eagle20, Insecticide Permethrin SFR, Extreme Blend, Liquid Fertilizer, all on 10/1/18

Put down Celsius on 10/2/18 results of all this.

I have a few applications left for the fall season the biggest one being simazine, but I will definitely document all the effects of these products. I also have a big area of Dallisgrass I'm going to kill off using Quik pro roundup. Looking forward to next season already!!!

#17 ·
Weekend Oct 18-21

Man, I've had some problems. I noticed some browwn spots coming in but I didn't think anything of it since I spray a fungicide about every two weeks. Needless to say I have a bad fungus that came in. I'm thinking this is coming from tearing grass blades while cutting. I've changed the spring on the rpm handle(governor) and I sharpen the blade on every cut. Now I'm just going to replace this Craftsman mower with a Toro recycler because I just don't know what else the problem could be. I want a Toro also :lol:

I know it looks bad but I've propiconazole, eagle, and 3336 within a month :x

Anywho, sprayed simizine 10/11/18. Chugging along

#18 ·
Weekend Nov 2-4

I haven't done much to the lawn. Weather is starting to turn cold on me.

On 10/20 I sprayed dallisgrass with quikpro Roundup again.

One more app is needed and that should get rid of all the dallisgrass in that area. Next season I will hit the yard hit with fertilizer so Bermuda can spread in this area.

#19 ·
😂 love it when it gets to the mid 60s and in Louisiana we refer to it as "getting cold." I'm wondering though, with dithiopyr and prodiamine being severe root pruners and St. Aug being stolonous, are you not concerned that heavy applications will impede the ability of your St. Aug to tack down roots on the stolon and over take the Bermuda and bare spots? I ask because I have a similar situation with a big nasty patch of Bermuda in the yard and I was trying to decide whether backing off on the applications of the root pruners will help the St. Aug be more successful at taking over the remaining bare spot if I kill the Bermuda back or if it would do more harm than good by letting competitive weeds come into the Bermuda spot post kill.

#20 ·
JustMowIt said:
😂 love it when it gets to the mid 60s and in Louisiana we refer to it as "getting cold." I'm wondering though, with dithiopyr and prodiamine being severe root pruners and St. Aug being stolonous, are you not concerned that heavy applications will impede the ability of your St. Aug to tack down roots on the stolon and over take the Bermuda and bare spots? I ask because I have a similar situation with a big nasty patch of Bermuda in the yard and I was trying to decide whether backing off on the applications of the root pruners will help the St. Aug be more successful at taking over the remaining bare spot if I kill the Bermuda back or if it would do more harm than good by letting competitive weeds come into the Bermuda spot post kill.
Hopefully as long as you don't over apply this won't be an issue. I will not know for sure until next season, but i will apply those same two products in February and March so I will watch the progress. Only way your truly killing Bermuda in a St Augustine lawn is with glyphosate and we all know how that's going to turn out. St Augustine will never over take a Bermuda patch if anything what I've noticed in my lawn is as soon as the St Augustine gets a disease or fungus the Bermuda will move in and over take the spots where the St Augustine is weak. Any Chemical the kills Bermuda will harm or kill St Augustine so just be really careful in your spraying endeavors.

#21 ·
Back from vacation.

The weeds I see are

So my pre emergent has had some break thru. Now I'm trying to figure out what herbcides to spray for this. The yard has experience a frost so most of my yard is brown.

Keep plugging along!

#23 ·
Weekend Jan 4-6

I've sprayed winter weeds with Roundup for Southern lawns, MSM turf, and MSO. We have a empty lot 0.25 acres next to me, I don't own this but I sprayed Celsius with MSO to back down all the weeds before they find a way to my lawn.

These are the weeds I'm dealing with. Hopefully the mixture I used will kill them.

#25 ·
jabopy said:
Love that mower, it should make mowing more fun!! Your garden Is the size of our town parks over here.
Thanks man. I've been on it today learning the ins and outs about it. I hope next cutting season will be great!

#26 ·
CenlaLowell said:
Yesterday this came in.

Hopefully I can dial this in and accomplish some beautiful cuts from it. New toy to play with for next season YES!
That's the fanciest Toro recycler I've ever seen. I didn't even know they sold a stand on model... How the hell did you go from a recycler to that? That's like dating a cheerleader as your first girlfriend and dumping her for Kate Upton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.