Lawn Care Forum banner

Calcium to Magnesium ratio

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  O_Poole 
#1 ·
I was told the idea Ca/Mg ratio is 6.1.. Soil test show my place to be low ratio of 3.4 so I did a gypsum app 7-28-2018 will be taking another soil test soon to see results! Hope for a better ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dCWPMgMoM&t=127s

#2 ·
O_Poole said:
I was told the idea Ca/Mg ratio is 6.1.. Soil test show my place to be low ratio of 3.4 so I did a gypsum app 7-28-2018 will be taking another soil test soon to see results! Hope for a better ratio

Nice video. I can see you used the hybrix fert. How do you think that would compare to say the new carbonx? I've entertained the thought of hybrix but I don't have a close vendor(2 hrs and would need to rent a truck) and with 30k sq feet, it's pretty pricey given that 1 bag of carbonx can cover 20k vs hybrix that would probably cover the same with 3-4 bags

#3 ·
I was really impressed with the HyR Brix's 10-9-10.. HyR Brix fertilizer is the complete package of nutrients with N-P-K..

Carbon X 24-0-4 is going to be great fertilizer I don't think it's a complete package.. No -P- very little -K no calcium but it does have it's place in turf like AMS.. I do plan to try some in 2019 to see how it works!

#4 ·
O_Poole said:
I was really impressed with the HyR Brix's 10-9-10.. HyR Brix fertilizer is the complete package of nutrients with N-P-K..

Carbon X 24-0-4 is going to be great fertilizer I don't think it's a complete package.. No -P- very little -K no calcium but it does have it's place in turf like AMS.. I do plan to try some in 2019 to see how it works!
Well, many places have P bans. Also, P moves slowly through the soil profile and if you mulch, most of it stays there. The most deficient would be N as that moves quickly through soil. Perhaps some additional K can be supplemented periodically. Personally, I like the idea of separating NPK so you can apply whichever you need and not be stuck with overdoing P if you mostly just need N.

#5 ·
Suburban Jungle Life said:
O_Poole said:

Well, many places have P bans. Also, P moves slowly through the soil profile and if you mulch, most of it stays there. The most deficient would be N as that moves quickly through soil. Perhaps some additional K can be supplemented periodically. Personally, I like the idea of separating NPK so you can apply whichever you need and not be stuck with overdoing P if you mostly just need N.
Very true sir! I do plan to give the Carbon a try in 2019.. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.