Lawn Care Forum banner

Chris LI's Lawn Journal

150K views 1K replies 68 participants last post by  M32075 
#1 ·
1-12-19

Picked up a few sticks and dormant seeded. Pasted from "What did you do on your lawn today?", below.

My Mazama and Beyond 50/50 blend arrived yesterday and went right into the freezer. Today, ~22 hours later I blended it with the Bewitched I had on hand to arrive at equal proportions (33.333%), and dormant seeded my entire yard at approximately 1 lb./k. I made extra passes over damaged/thin areas.

I know overseeding of kbg is not extremely effective. However, I've had some success, and am always trying to repair/improve areas.

I'm always fighting some type of battle (traffic, shade, animals, time, etc.) and need all the ammo that I can get.

#77 ·
@Chris LI, no problem. I'd just ask that you change the wording very slightly, just so no one wonders why we have the exact same signature and then starts googling it to see if it's an actual thing (which I fear it is based on that thread where people keep posting photos of what we believe may be unimproved Triv). Actually, a while back, someone here thought I was tgreen based on my signature. I had never seen his videos before that.

It's possible what you have whitening is Triv. If there's just a little bit intermixed, Tenacity now plus Summer heat later can keep it from spreading. The problem is when we have a 6+ month period with lots of rain, and it goes crazy.

I would try to ID your whitened grass. If it's a Poa but doesn't appear to KBG or annua, there's a good chance. Check for Bentgrass and more Zoysia as well. There are other things that whiten, too. I find most KBG has a low amount of whitening; fescues and PR get more white.

I'd urge you not to let up on Tenacity apps if you're planning multiple apps. Hit it again before it outgrows the white. Otherwise, you're starting from scratch again. I think you're safe up to the 6oz/A rate once with TTTF and KBG and the 3-4 as the followup. I never purposely go over 5, though. Once I did 8-10 accidentally and killed my good grass (not a measuring error or mixing error--long story).

#78 ·
@Green
Thank you for you're detailed response. I haven't had the time to ID all of my whitened areas (which is extremely pronounced, right now, compared to the adjacent Bewitched... it's like night and day).

I'm definitely battling Zoysia and Bentgrass in the front and triv in the back. The triv ID is what really took the wind out of my sails. Funny you mention @tgreen , because his video helped me to positively ID triv, using the ligule. I was 99% sure before seeing the video and my heart sank when I watched the video. Thanks @tgreen for the video. I know that it will help many out there.

I will try at least another follow up Tenacity app, but might do two separate apps; one tank mixed with Triclopyr to reduce whitening of desirable established turf (which would help with some clover, too); and the other without it for mini reno areas. I think the Triclopyr would be too tough on the newer grass. I might add FeATURE to both mixes or do a separate blanket spray of FeATURE on a different day, if it ever stops raining!

#79 ·
Yesterday, I did the trim, blow, mow routine. I couldn't handle scraping 1.5, 5 gallon pails of clippings off my deck anymore, so I had to bag. It's been so wet that mulching has been essentially useless. The silver lining to the deck cleaning issue is that weed seeds were also stuck to the deck, so the weren't being recycled to the lawn.

I'm still hanging in there with 2" HOC, as I love the density! I'm rethinking my goal of 3" for the summer with 3.5" for the 3 hottest weeks in August. This is lower than last year (3.5" and 4", respectively). I may go even lower and try 2.5" for the summer with 3" if, necessary.

#81 ·
Chris LI said:
I'm still hanging in there with 2" HOC, as I love the density! I'm rethinking my goal of 3" for the summer with 3.5" for the 3 hottest weeks in August. This is lower than last year (3.5" and 4", respectively). I may go even lower and try 2.5" for the summer with 3" if, necessary.
I keep my fescue at 4.5 throughout the summer. However, I thought I would mix things up this year. After a few bad starts, I've landed on the plan of cutting just a few strips of fescue at 2.5. I'm going to try to keep that going all summer just to see what happens.

#82 ·
Chris, not sure how much TTTF you have, but I feel we can typically get by with 3.5 inches in Summer in our area for irrigated Tall Fescue turf that is managed with fungicides (I use biofungicide for almost everything because I feel the synthetics have too many downsides). Maybe 3.25 or even 3 inches will work, too, and have less disease pressure as well...? I typically cut everything at 3.75 inches in July, August, and September. But with my new mower, I'll be a touch lower...3.625 in, which will help the water streams clear the irrigation heads better where I have in-ground irrigation.

If I were further South, with more days in a row over 85 or 90 degrees at any given time, like SP, I would be mowing even higher.

I rarely see lawns mowed above 3 inches. And during the heat, mine often looks a lot better due to the extra cutting height versus lawns cut at 2 or 2.5 inches.

I'm already at 3.25 inches to maximize root growth.

Good luck with it. I think the amount of heat this year will influence how it goes and what height you end up at.

You do stuff with sports fields at work, right? What height are those mowed at?

#83 ·
@social port
@Green
In the past (for many years), I have followed a similar HOC as you, to encourage deeper rooting and drought tolerance. As I mentioned, I would be way up there for most of the summer at 3.5+ and 4+. I say "+" because I used a mulching blade with no lift (Ninja), which would slightly lay over the grass to give a smidge more height. However, last year I started at 2.5 as usual and went up to those heights, keeping the Gator blade on for the summer, due to moisture and maple seed pods (poly noses), with the bag on most of the time. The very last cut at 2.5 in the spring had incredible density and color, but I raised the height as usual, and wondered if I could have pulled it off, when I thought about it throughout the winter.

Over the winter, I was reading about all the "reel low" folks here, and decided to try for the best of both worlds at 2.5", so I started at 2". The TTTF didn't like it at first, so I thought I would crutch it through April. Now, it seems to have adjusted to the lower HOC, so I'm holding firm on the 2", so far in May. I have a very busy week coming up at work, and might miss a mow, so 2.5" may be in the near future for me.

@Green
Yes, I have two ballfields at work, which receive only basic fertilization, solid tine aereation, and overseeding. We cut them at 2".

#84 ·
Chris LI said:
@social port
@Green
In the past (for many years), I have followed a similar HOC as you, to encourage deeper rooting and drought tolerance. As I mentioned, I would be way up there for most of the summer at 3.5+ and 4+. I say "+" because I used a mulching blade with no lift (Ninja), which would slightly lay over the grass to give a smidge more height. However, last year I started at 2.5 as usual and went up to those heights, keeping the Gator blade on for the summer, due to moisture and maple seed pods (poly noses), with the bag on most of the time. The very last cut at 2.5 in the spring had incredible density and color, but I raised the height as usual, and wondered if I could have pulled it off, when I thought about it throughout the winter.

Over the winter, I was reading about all the "reel low" folks here, and decided to try for the best of both worlds at 2.5", so I started at 2". The TTTF didn't like it at first, so I thought I would crutch it through April. Now, it seems to have adjusted to the lower HOC, so I'm holding firm on the 2", so far in May. I have a very busy week coming up at work, and might miss a mow, so 2.5" may be in the near future for me.

@Green
Yes, I have two ballfields at work, which receive only basic fertilization, solid tine aereation, and overseeding. We cut them at 2".
I forgot to mention, one other very important change I made last year was to up my mowing frequency to 2x per week, when it needed it (mostly spring). I believe that made a significant difference in turf quality (color and density). I'm trying to stay on that schedule this year too. I think it goes a long way, as golf courses do it and their lesser fertilized/pest apps on fairways, and they are able to maintain healthy turf with less inputs. I have my guys on a Tuesday & Friday mowing schedule for the ballfields.

#85 ·
@Chris LI, cool ideas.

I also believe in not mowing during heat/drought, and I try to time a mow right before a rain when that happens and it becomes time to mow. I'd rather break the 1/3 rule eventually, than keep mowing it through the hot and dry period, and make it stressed and brown before it needs to go that direction.

#86 ·
I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks because work has taken over as it always does during the last two weeks of May. Anyway, I'm logging an update before I forget what I was able to squeeze in during those two weeks.

5/23 Mowed @2.5" (raised HOC because I missed a mow)
5/28 Mowed @2.5"(too high to go back to 2")
5/30 Mowed @ 2" w/ trim and blow. I dropped 5-3-1 on my friend's lawn.

I never had a chance to do a second Tenacity app, so it's on hold.

#88 ·
No rain since N drop. I needed to mow yesterday, but other things came up. I switched over from the Gator blade to Ninja blade to mulch at 2", so I didn't pick up any fert. All was great until I found one wire halo flower stake and dinged up my blade. :censored:

#89 ·
I just had time to inspect/admire the lawn this morning, after receiving 0.14" of rain last night. I see an area in the front which needs a little more N (color is slightly off). I'll probably use the hand spreader with some 5-3-1. If I have time and weather permits, I hope to accomplish that and a bit more tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

#90 ·
Friday 6/7
Trim, mow (@2"), blow. I was in a rush and had a negative interaction with a silica based vertical panel. :censored:
I wasn't in the mood to put the striping kit on,
after that episode. This was not the day to enjoy the mow. However, I did have time to drop some BioPlex.

Noted today at 2". 4 day internal is working for me know. I'm still loving the almost "reel low" cutting heights and density. I may have to raise HOC soon, if the weather warms up. Received about an inch of rain yesterday-today.

#91 ·
Chris LI said:
Friday 6/7
Trim, mow (@2"), blow. I was in a rush and had a negative interaction with a silica based vertical panel. :censored:
That sucks. :oops:

But Silica? You mean the sand-man?? :lol:
You sure don't mean silicon...or even maybe silicone as the case may be... :nod:

#92 ·
Aww naw, you put me in a predicament. I'll fess up...I broke a dang winder with a weed whacker.

I'm usually careful and make sure the rotation of the head throws debris away from that area, but I was rushing the other day. Not one of my best moments. :roll:

#93 ·
A window...yikes. Never would've guessed that. Hopefully your own. Did it throw a rock?

Btw, what character you doing an impression of with that accent? Humor is always good.

I actually thought you meant you had a negative interaction with a neighbor due to being in a rush.

#94 ·
Yes and yes.

No character in particular...just paying homage to half of my roots, being honest about my miscues, adding a little humor for something stupid that I did, because I know better. Even the best of us do dumb things from time to time. Hopefully, a reader will have this stick in their mind, and maybe avoid a similar situation.

Nope. Neighbors are cool. I have a retired lady who has been admiring and asking questions. I'm pointing her in the right direction with the basics. She's interested in walking the neighborhood with my mother-in-law, who lives with us.

#95 ·
All right. Think about something pleasant tonight. Have a good night.

#96 ·
Rain Gauge app on my phone and my home weather station rain gauge are in great disagreement in how much rain we received today.

Rain Gauge app = 1.64
Weather station = 0.46

From my judgment, the home weather station is correct, as it typically is very close to bonafide records.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

On a separate note, Bioplex and Hydra Hume seem to have kicked with the rain on Monday. I also hose sprayed some old stock Ironite 6-2-1 on Saturday (I bought it on Friday for the hose applicator bottle to use for apps of kelp, iron SLS, etc.) The bottle leaks a little at the spray nozzle, so I bought the Hudson hose sprayer on Amazon.

Today's rain is hopefully icing on the cake. Temps have been comfortably below normal (60-62 today). The turf still looks pretty good.

Kbg is still holding out against the zoysia on the hellstrip with the cool temps.

Triclopyr is next on the agenda for clover.

#99 ·
I got jammed up at work yesterday, and missed a second mow. With 0.81" of rain so far today, and rain forecasted for most of the week, I'll be behind the 8 ball with mowing, and wil have to raise my HOC to 2.5", and will still probably violate the 1/3 rule in a major way. On the upside, the Bioplex kicked in with some dark blue/green results.

#100 ·
Chris LI said:
I got jammed up at work yesterday, and missed a second mow. With 0.81" of rain so far today, and rain forecasted for most of the week, I'll be behind the 8 ball with mowing, and wil have to raise my HOC to 2.5", and will still probably violate the 1/3 rule in a major way. On the upside, the Bioplex kicked in with some dark blue/green results.
I feel like that about trimming. I had areas that were high between my seeded areas on the side going into this rain.

Never heard of Bioplex until your posts.

#101 ·
Green said:
Never heard of Bioplex until your posts.
I didn't know about it until one of my turf suppliers mentioned it when I was looking for something to aid with new seeding and building OM on dead/wear spots on my ballfields. The mfg. has a few different varieties of fert with the BioPlex recipe (biosolids/sea plant extract/ humic acid/ etc.), in the BioPlex/Bio Basics line. The 5-3-1 contains about 100% BioPlex. Other varieties in the line are mixed with varying amounts of synthetic fertilizer. It works very well, and I like to tell others about good products of any type (i.e. Shave Secret, shave oil...but that's for another time and place). However, if there's a run on BioPlex because of this info being out there (i.e. Milo), and I can't get any more, than I'll regret it. :roll: