How you relax when the work is done
DIY Lawn Guy
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Mostly Fescue w/clover patches
Lawn Size: 8000 sq feet
Mower: Toro Super Recycler Toro Rider

Feeding the birds and squirrels

Post by DIY Lawn Guy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am

As you can see from my photo, I have a feeder in my yard and it is just outside our kitchen window. I put it up a few years ago and installed a very well-made bird feeder that I bought from a Canadian company and I also mounted a homemade squirrel feeder that my son-in-law made for me.

One of the interesting aspects of the feeders to me, is the different approaches the various squirrels take to feeding on the feeder and the raw (unsalted) peanuts I use. Some squirrels eat inside the little box-like house part, others sit on top and eat, others get a peanut and then run away, real squirrelly behavior................... :D

The bird feeder itself mostly attracts sparrows and finches. However, beautiful bluejays and cardinals feed on the ground beneath the feeder on the seeds that the other birds knock out and spill as they feed.

Watching these wild creatures makes me marvel about the birds in particular and nature in general.

Last edited by DIY Lawn Guy on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Re: Feeding the birds and squirrels

Post by SWB » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:48 pm

We have that same feeder and they are excellent. No need for a squirrel feeder here as they feast on the dropped sunflower seeds below. We have a ton of wildlife here and try to enjoy it as much as we can.

FlowRider
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Just remember not to leave your windows open! :lol:

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Post by dfw_pilot » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:04 pm

FlowRider wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:40 pm
Just remember not to leave your windows open! :lol:

That's pure gold!
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

FlowRider
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks, @dfw_pilot! I thought the look on that little girl's face was priceless!

I used to spread seed out for the birds, and the squirrels too (the squirrels show up anyway, so I fed them, too).

I had to stop for the reason you see in the pictures above. I ended up with flocks of birds camping out in my trees.

They started eating the food as soon as I set it out. Eating me out of house and home. And the droppings...wow.

So I weaned them off free food as Spring took off - got them through winter, and ended the "free for all" parties.

Cool while it lasted, but it really got out of hand - I lived on a lake on a migratory flyway - birds took it all over...!

kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5,171 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Post by kds » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 am

I’ve seen some cardinals and blue jays around my back yard but I’m trying to attract goldfinches. I’ve put some feeders out in the past but not consistently.

This year I’ve had a finch feeder out all year. I had a plastic feeder but it was susceptible to mold so at my sister’s recommendation I bought a finch sock and mold is no longer a problem. She also suggested leaving it out all winter because some goldfinches get “desperate” for food — knowing that goldfinches will eat my food only when they’re desperate and starving kind of hurt! But hopefully I can get them to stick around.

I also have had a hawk hanging out in an area where 4 of our backyards meet. Not sure if that’s keeping a lot of the wildlife away but the hawk is suspect number one in a lot of bunny beheadings found throughout my yard this year.

I don’t do anything for the squirrels, they don’t deserve it because they keep digging holes in my new grass. But someone is handing out whole corn cobs to them because they leave their scraps in my yard.