Lawn Care Forum banner

FuzzeWuzze Tiny Mazama Mono Reno

33K views 172 replies 26 participants last post by  lawn-wolverine 
#1 ·
I'll be documenting my small renovation here. I have a total of about 2800 Sqft on my property, 1k in the back and 1800 split across 5 other area's. 3 Street/hell strips, and 2 small patches on either side of my driveway(300 and 600 sqft).

I'm beginning by renovating the 600 sqft section this Fall as an experiment to see how well KBG will do in our climate. Everything says it doesnt do well here because of fungal pressure and how wet it is here a majority of the year, but these were also studies by Oregon State written in the early 90's and a lot has changed in terms of disease resistance in these cultivars, plus im not opposed to spraying Azoxy or Prop if needed.

I had to contain myself to not do the entire front 1800 sqft, although if im being honest its not completely off the table at this point although i'll need to make that decision soon.

The goal is do at some point do the 1k sqft back yard, but we are having a paver patio put in which wont be complete until the end of August and by then its probably going to be too late to seed KBG in our climate but again i'm not entirely sure and could use some input. Our average temps in Oct are 63/43, so maybe if i have everything dead in August and can put seed down in the first week of September it will have 2 good months of 60+ weather to get going? One thing of note is that we do not really freeze here, we may get a few days of snow or below freezing temps but its extremely rare for it to last more than 2-3 days so im not too worried about winter kill if i can get them established.

This is the lawn as it is today, a mix of 3 way Rye blend + Bewitched. Regrets were made not just doing straight Bewitched, so here we are again renovating. I really want to break the overseeding/watering cycle, as it gets quite expensive every year overseeding Rye and running my sprinklers for a week to give it a chance to grow. Plus new 1-2 year old Rye seems to seed VERY heavily here, so every year I loathe having to put more seed out knowing the next year its going to look like a stemmy mess for most of late spring/early summer when it should look its best.

https://imgur.com/a/qa2rtMv

General Timeline
Spray Glyphosate + AS - 7/26/19
Mow/Scalp/Scarify w/ Sunjoe dethatcher on lowest setting - 8/3/19 (or earlier if it dies faster)
Glyphosate any remaining green - 8/3/19
Tenacity + Seed down w/ Peat - 8/10/19

See less See more
#55 ·
Looked like it cut pretty well at 1 inch, i caused some damaged in the soggy area initially with tire marks so i stayed off it.
I'll likely be cutting back to 1 watering if that per day as we seem to be entering fall here.

These leaves will be the death of me, because of our house's position at the top of the hill a lot of neighboring tree's blow their leaves and they get stuck on the backside of the hill which is this yard area. Its a struggle every year to keep up. Especially when we get continuous rains in the fall and everything gets wet and doesnt blow around very well.

I'll be putting down another .25n urea this Sunday. Cant wait to see it start to spread and darken up, as you can see its currently several shades lighter than my PRG hell strip. Thats in the queue for spring if this goes well over winter.

#56 ·
Day 30 update
Cut it for the 2nd time yesterday @ 1 inch
Dropped .25N Urea again and will continue each weekend.

Its gotten noticeably colder and wetter this week, we'll still be getting like quarter inch of rain each day and be cloudy and 60-70's for the next week at least it looks like with one warmer 85 day crammed in there.

I threw a handful of seed down along the front sidewalk area since it was very sparse, in hopes that the week of cooler and wet weather would give me some free seedlings without needing to continue watering the whole yard.

#58 ·
Its been great, thankfully we continue to have 1 off days like this Thursday that i can let it dry out and walk on to mow again.
Although we are quickly approaching the time of year in October where the ground and grass will be continuously wet until May and the mower goes inside.

#59 ·
Day 36, continue to mow it 1-2x a week @ 1 inch as the weather allows. Continue to put down .25N urea each weekend as well.

Sprayed it with FS, and Humic/Fulvic/Kelp blend from Kelp4Less(not extreme blend) 2 days ago as well.

This is the first shot i feel that it looks more like a full lawn from 20 feet away. Its not until you walk up on it you see how thin it is, that said it is thickening up nicely and the iron has darkened it up quite a bit. Also sprinklers are all but off for the rest of the year here it seems like we are moving into our wet season a bit early, its been like this the last few weeks with cloudy 60-65 days and then a few warmer sunny 70's. The ground is already getting quite wet. Next dry day i feel i can walk on it i will be applying some Propiconazole , i meant to do it with the humic but forgot.

#63 ·
Quick day 44 update.

Not much change from a visual perspective that i can tell, its obviously thickening up when you get closer to it but it still has quite some ways to go to be a thick carpet.

On a day to day basis it doesnt look like much is changing but when i compare shots from even a week ago you can see spots that were dirt are now filling in.

Just kind of letting it go wild at this point, and come Spring i'll edge it all out, get some bark down under the bushes and clean up the overall look of the yard. Its a moot point at this time of year to 'crisp' things up when its grey, overcast and soaking wet 24 hours a day.

One thing of note is that there are quite a few weeds coming in, i've been pulling them when i am out mowing but they keep coming. I think its been long enough and i can do another blanket spray of Tenacity. For people with new KBG lawns should i just do a 2oz/Acre rate or 4oz/Acre rate?

Then maybe next week, weather permitting i can get my Prodiamine out? Maybe a bit late but we dont get that cold so weeds pretty much can pop up any time.

#68 ·
Day 53 another update.

Getting real cold here as of late we've had several days that didnt break 50-55F so the grass has really started to slow down growth. I have a few area's that are still thin, but have a lot of grass stalks at the same time, so my hope is come spring they will start filling in. Edges are still a bit bare as well, mostly under where our hydrangea's had grown up so large and flopping over into the yard, its very evident now that they are cut back. Ill need to do a better job setting a realistic edge on this back area and keeping the hydrangea's in check.

I sprayed Tenacity on both reno area's to hopefully get the broadleaf away, a nd also hit it with Prodiamine to hopefully keep it safe for our warm(ish) winters where weeds can really keep going.

I think i may hit it with one more dose of Fert this weekend then call it good for the year. Overall i'd say the reno was a success thus far, only changes i'd make for next years reno area's is to be a bit more diligent about hitting edges with seed. Also debating doing 4#/K instead of 3# per K, but overall i think it came in well and even the thin spots have lots of grass but just need time to thicken up and wont have the temps to do so this year.

#69 ·
Sprayed FAS + Humic/Kelp across the entire yard, cant wait to see how it pops in the new reno area in a few days. Let it sit for 3-4 hours then ran the sprinklers.

I noticed some darker spots this week in the new renovation, and i can only assume they are dots that are getting direct Urea hits, and the rest of it is not. So ill be doing some light foliar apps of Urea or FAS weekly until the rains return.

#70 ·
I think the FAS + Humic/Kelp mix i did this last weekend is starting to hit now and the lawn is looking good.
I did notice some white tips as it seems the Tenacity from the weekend prior is finally starting to do its thing.
A lot of yards around here thin out a lot during winter, and a few years ago my PRG stand all but was decimated, presumably from disease and the ground being so wet for so long. My fingers are crossed that this does not happen to this new KBG.

Unsure if i should spray Prop in the next month or so as a preventative measure, i have a big jug of it.

#71 ·
So after coming back from a vacation and there being leaves piled up on the yard i'm starting to see a bit of yellowing that i'd like to understand and get under control if its disease(it probably is). We've been pretty cold in the 50's and low 40's at night but no real hard frost yet.

I am wondering if its lack of rain? Doubt its drought stress its all still wet but we havent had rain in a week or two.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I put down Azoxy granules @ curative rate almost 2 weeks ago? 1 bag is my yard at curative rate, and i didnt feel like storing half a bag all winter and doing preventative rate so just threw it all down. I have yet to spray Prop, but we're going to have a lot of rain coming up starting tonight so i am unsure when i will be able to actually get it down. If the forecast is accurate, likely not until Wed/Thursday of next week.

I can tell that i have some tearing due to my blade that i need to fix, ive done a few cuts with my rotary and not the Fiskars because of all the leaves that need to get mulched up and seems to have done a bit of damage, which may be the entry point for the disease? I'm hoping @g-man or any of you other disease experts can help.

#73 ·
Let me take a shot this evening and we'll see, i cant remember.

I feel like it all does otherwise i likely wouldn't have noticed it at all in the first place.
I did just hit it with FAS last weekend and it looked great, but could it be iron or just the cold/damp weather causing it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.