Lawn Care Forum banner

1951 Toro SportLawn Restoration

7K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Alexk2020 
#1 ·
I got my hands on a 1951 18" Toro SportLawn and I am looking to clean it up and restore it to its former glory. I'll post updates as I go along.

I think it needs some work on the carb to get going.

Here are a few photos of the mower in its current state:

See less See more
#4 ·
I am having a little trouble with the rotation of these photos. Well here they are.

The engine is a Clinton 350 from Maquoketa, IA. Not an easy engine to find parts for this model.

I took the engine off of the frame so I could clean everything more easily and empty the fuel from the tank.

I grew up in the age of grease zerks so these are new to me. Makes me think of the Wizard of Oz.

The top platform pivots on the same bolts that secure the roller height.

The reel is pretty filthy.

The rollers are 2-1/4" wood. I can't wait to make some new rollers up out of a wood of choice.

The edge rollers lost about 1/4" in diameter over the years.

Looking to clean, wire brush, and repaint the wheels.

Saw some debris in the gas tank, gas didn't look quite right either.

#7 ·
Sanded for about an hour today, careful to stay off the info/model plate. Has anyone here done any sandblasting or hired out a sandblasting job? I'd imagine that could save a significant amount of time but have not had anything sand blasted before.

#8 ·
Looks like an neat project.

I've done sandblasting on an old MG. If you don't have a blast cabinet, you absolutely must wear a full hood; regular goggles or safety glasses are useless. Learn from my mistakes, glass beads in the eye are very uncomfortable. You also need to select the correct media, walnut shell, various ranges of grit...

The stuff goes everywhere and reclaiming the grit it is a pain.

To speed up your sanding, a cup type wire wheel mounted on a hand held die grinder can work. I prefer the braided type steel cup style. Know in advance, some of the wires WILL come flying off - stings like being poked with a needle. I wear safety goggles, leather gloves, full length shirt and pants.

Regardless of the type, on thin materials, go slow so not to build up heat and warp the parts.

If it is very valuable/rare, rubbing on the inner thigh of a Latin virgin is the best course of action.

Given all the complex features, looks like a good candidate to send to a shop the can blast the parts.

#11 ·
mowww said:
Sanded for about an hour today, careful to stay off the info/model plate. Has anyone here done any sandblasting or hired out a sandblasting job? I'd imagine that could save a significant amount of time but have not had anything sand blasted before.
Try to sandblast as many parts as you can, the finished product will be much nicer. I restored a GM1000 and sandblasted most of the parts, it made the painting process so much easier. Looks like a nice project.

#12 ·
@Ptb427 Thanks, I took your advice and got a foaming stripper that I worked with today. Very happy with the results.

@jimbeckel I appreciate the advice, I am sure it would save me a lot of time and sandpaper. I called around and everyone I talked to that does sandblasting is up to their eyes doing body work on cars from all the winter accidents. Earliest time I got from anyone was April/May.

#20 ·
A few years back I used to have a Sportlawn, I regret selling it. It ran and cut great. The old engine ran like a champ and always started by the second pull. I always wanted to restore it but never did.....you have the motivation that I didn't! Looking good!

#22 ·
Wheels are getting there! Handle and rollers will be final two items to get worked on. Still trying to decide which direction to go with the rollers (wood type, finish).

I'm on the hunt for a replacement spring and some gasket material. Here are the wheels almost finished:

#24 ·
Got the majority of components sanded, cleaned, and repainted. Replaced quite a few stuck fasteners and all of the bedknife screws. Light grind on the bedknife. Handle and carb are next on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.