Lawn Care Forum banner

2020 | What did you do with your lawn today?

186K views 2K replies 314 participants last post by  Redtwin 
#1 ·
Happy New Year TLF!

I gave my PRG overseed a quick cut this afternoon...

See less See more
#253 ·
wardconnor said:
jbow03 said:
From this:

To this:

First time to level, still nervous that this sand settles in!
Awesome work. That is quite the difference in only seven days. No need to be nervous about the sand. It will be gone before you know it and at that point you will be asking yourself or others just how soon you can do it again. Topdressing with sand is highly addictive. The first round makes such a big difference and it just gets better and better with each round.
I am about to undertake the same project. I am dreading the work but cannot wait for the results! Great work.

#254 ·
jbow03 said:
@wardconnor funny you replied to the post, you're the cause of ALL of this sand! :lol:

Any thoughts on the timing and height of next cut? I noticed in one of your videos you went 1 week after the topdress but mentioned the rotary picked up lots of sand and stopped. Just curious.
no need to stress at all about it. I would wait a week or 2 or maybe even 3. You will be itching to mow it and you will know when the time is right. I would start with the rotary as I did just to test the waters. I would hate to see the sand kill a reel if you have one.

Sand is so awesome for leveling. I think I may do it this spring if I can get my lawn to thicken up a bit more.

#258 ·
I spent my Quarantine in my yard all day yesterday and today. First ever Reel cut with the Jacobsen. Have a slight poa annua problem in the back yard. Treated with Monument and lightly treated the broadleaf with TRIMEC Southern. With all the rain I decided to put another treatment of 19-0-7 pre-emerg. This Celebration is 10 months old. Planning on leveling front in late April.

#260 ·
Sharpened up the edges of my mulch beds today.

I really hate this rubber mulch. It's hard to keep clean. With traditional mulch after you trim bushes and get clippings in your beds you can just cover it with more mulch. Haven't found a good way to clean this yet.

#261 ·
Finally finally got the city to come out and fix this. This drain box had a hole in the side and washing out the dirt. They dug it out filled it with cement on the outside and also patch the hole with cement on the inside then topped it off with clay. Hopefully this fixes it

#262 ·
MeanDean said:

I really hate this rubber mulch. It's hard to keep clean. With traditional mulch after you trim bushes and get clippings in your beds you can just cover it with more mulch. Haven't found a good way to clean this yet.

Nice! That's coming up soon for me as well. Phase II of Spring Up 2020!

Came out clean! Can't beat a nice clean live edge!

#263 ·
Two9tene said:
MeanDean said:

Thank you, sir. I ditched my pavers last year and went with a natural edge. Looks great with reel mowed Bermuda that's nice and green.

I wonder how rotary power scissors would work with keeping these edges nice and clean.

#264 ·
MeanDean said:
Two9tene said:
MeanDean said:

Thank you, sir. I ditched my pavers last year and went with a natural edge. Looks great with reel mowed Bermuda that's nice and green.

I wonder how rotary power scissors would work with keeping these edges nice and clean.
Just got mine 2 weeks ago and it's well worth it! Cleans it up real nice.

#265 ·
The lawn situation has turned around a lot. It's actually green! :bandit: :banana: :dancenana: :thumbsup: :shout:

Today I spot sprayed for some weeds and pulled quite a bit of Poa by hand.

Then I realized that the Certainty I have in stock is labeled for Poa so I'll mix up a batch and spot spray that tomorrow - what the heck.

This one is by far my favorite shot - if you look back in my posts (https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=235312#p235312) you will see that this area was completely dormant a month ago.

There is one area in the back towards the pomegranate tree that is LOVING life. It's so thick and full back there it's amazing.

Cutting with the manually reel back there is actually semi-tough :bd:

I want the whole lawn looking and feeling like that!

I sent off for 3 soil tests today to compare results since the last round seemed to be iffy.

Waypoint Analytical
Spectrum Analytics
Soil Savvy - My friend gave me this one so it was "free", but don't plan on using them long term.

I'm itching to throw down some fertilizer but I haven't decided what to go with. More coming on that topic.

#266 ·
Quick cut early this morning to knock off the dew and clean her up a bit. Got about 85-90% green up almost time for the first T-nex app. Gonna spruce up the live edges later today and clean out the beds!

#267 ·
Two9tene said:
Quick cut early this morning to knock off the dew and clean her up a bit. Got about 85-90% green up almost time for the first T-nex app. Gonna spruce up the live edges later today and clean out the beds!

Looks great! Are you edging your driveway/walkways with the rotary power scissors? How's the blade hold up against that?

#272 ·
erdons said:
Gave it a mow at 1/2 inch and then decided to mess around and mow in a putting green at 1/8.
Spring fever is real! And in full affect! Nice! I wish the wife would allow me to do something like this! Haha! Looks good!!

#275 ·
erdons said:
Two9tene said:
erdons said:
Gave it a mow at 1/2 inch and then decided to mess around and mow in a putting green at 1/8.
Spring fever is real! And in full affect! Nice! I wish the wife would allow me to do something like this! Haha! Looks good!!
She didn't let me, I just purposely forgot to ask 🤣
It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission I guess! Lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.