Warm season member lawn journals
Topic Author
Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: California Trimmer 20"

Re: Gilley11's Lawn Journal: Charlotte, NC

Post by Gilley11 »

Out back and on the side, I threw out some more rye seed in the spots that looked a little bare and then I walked on them to press them in the soil a bit. Threw down some starter fert with the highest ratio of phosphorus-nitrogen ratio that I could find locally. I didn't want much nitrogen, just wanted to help the roots grow strong. Then I watered it all in with the Simple Lawn Solutions Root Hume with some Superthrive mixed in. The Superthrive smells like pure success 😁.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Sprayed my property, my next door neighbor's and my parent's properties with Talstar P and bifenthrin. The main objective was mosquito control but I also did a barrier around the houses for general insect control.

I mowed my backyard rye.....twice. This stuff grows fast! Def not a once a week event.

I am absolutely loving this Gardena 380Li reel mower, it's just fun to use and makes mowing not a chore. Plus, with the rear roller it does leave some decent stripes 😍.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Fresh stripes on a Saturday morning! Don't know how well they'll make out in this picture, but they look great and have been missed for a long long time.

Backyard rye cut at 32mm.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

My remaining zoysia is probably 75% greened up and I'm getting antsy to get things going, so this weekend I got crack-a-lackin.

-Aerated, raked up cores.
-Aerated, raked up cores (again).

The cam style aerator does a significant amount more plugging than a drum style.

My front yard is a mess from the tree removal, so I mixed masonry sand and topsoil to fill in a lot of the recesses. I used 1/3 yard of sand and 6 bags of good topsoil. Rolled all of that out with the lawn roller and called it a night.

I'm going to pick up a yard of sand this weekend and spread that out not to level.so much but to fill in as many of the core holes as much as I can.

Zoysia plugs are still a few weeks out, when they're ready, I will be, too. Probably going to plug 1k of them.

A little bit at a time and next year it's going to be great, I know it.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

I also cut up the side of my deck where the steps were to open it up. The opening before was only about 30" wide, now it's about 11'. I built new steps to go with it and my wife pressed washed everything nice and clean 👌🏼. It's enjoyable to relax and be outside again!

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Just picked up a 50lb bag of 16-3-8 from SiteOne... $20.30. As soon as everything greens up, I'll be throwin-er-down. Awesome price! Also took home a couple of tip-n-pour containers.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Just sourced a push sprayer, praying that the guy will follow through with shipping it! Thank goodness for PayPal protection. 🙏

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Was a good weekend. Went and picked up a 50/50 mix of river sand and "screened" topsoil. 1 yard each. It was about 5500lbs, all in the back of my Dodge Dakota! I don't remember the exact limit but I think it's rated 2k lbs in the bed. :lol: :lol: It was a slow ride home with the flashers on lol. I only live a couple of miles from the supply yard.

Made a soil sifter to fit the G-Cart and sifted it all. The spoils filled 1 entire wagon foil.

I also made a leveling drag. I wanted to make it 8' but I was using materials that I already had on hand, and that was (2) 5' pieces of angle iron. After using it I'm glad that I didn't make it 8', that would have been too much for my small yard. 6' would be perfect.

The drag works awesome! :nod: I pulled the drag with the JD for probably 45 min just going over and over everything trying to spread it the best that I could. After leveling and spreading and leveling I rolled it all in a few times to press it down to keep from washing out. Hit it all with a soil loosener/humic mix in a hose end sprayer just because it made me feel good.

Can't wait to plug this thing in a few weeks.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Soil delivery :lol: :

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Soil sifter:

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Drag/leveler:

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

After spreading and leveling. It's not perfect, but it's done for this year:

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Last weekend, for the wife, I cut up the deck and put in new steps. She really likes to hang out outside, so it's a great improvement for her :thumbup: .

After cleaning everything up tonight I decided to give the back a quick mow. I'm still really enjoying this electric reel mower. And MAN does this rye grow fast! I'm mowing it 3X a week. I still have a few spots that I'm trying to fill in.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

With some inspiration from @Kicker I turned my M4S sprayer into a FrankenSons sprayer. I can now run a two nozzle boom no problem! With the stock pump, 1 nozzle was no problem but two wasn't happening. The spray output just wasn't there. I'm using (2) XR11004VS nozzles.

The new pump is slightly larger :D .

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

After the pump swap, I sprayed 1.5oz/k of Depth 10. With the 2 nozzle boom, it is a really quick job to knock it all out.

Next time I'll spray 3oz/k and plan on doing that once a month.

Also, I sprayed Demand CS and an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) at my house and 2 neighbors each way on both sides of my house. Yeah yeah, I talked to them first ;) . This is going to be a great year!
Last edited by Gilley11 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

Aww... I love my M4S sprayer and was hoping to add a second nozzle with a boom. Bummer that the pump won't handle it.

Kicker
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary / GM 1000

Post by Kicker »

looks good. @Redtwin I highly suggest upgrading the pump. I had to do some body modification on my sprayer like @Gilley11 did but it's so worth it.

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Yeah....I was looking hard at a push sprayer, but now that I can use a 2 nozzle boom I'm going to try to stick with this for a bit.

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn »

Looks great! Here's to having some PGR on the way soon. I'm surprised you didn't go with a TTTF or bluegrass.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Topic Author
Gilley11

Post by Gilley11 »

Colonel K0rn wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:29 am
Looks great! Here's to having some PGR on the way soon. I'm surprised you didn't go with a TTTF or bluegrass.
Thanks. Years ago I had TTTF back there. The backyard is essentially in the woods with my yard cut out, so over the years, the trees matured and blocked 95% off the light coming in.....grass wouldn't grow, at least I couldn't grow it. So over the last two years I've cut down a ridiculous amount of trees and trimmed back several. I'm kind of a hobby/hack arborist now lol.

Now I'm just stoked that I can get anything to grow back there! The plan is that late this summer I'm going to wipe out the rye and plant TTTF again. Gotta give it another go. I'm looking into a stoloniferous cultivar. I'd go KBG but I think that it would be a tough run with the heat and humidity here in Charlotte. I'm not sure how this rye is going to handle it but it was really just for erosion control and to get everything set up for TTTF later this year.

I still can't believe how fast this rye grows, it's crazy. It's at least .25"/day.