Lawn Care Forum banner

Dangerlawn journal

8K views 47 replies 9 participants last post by  Dangerlawn 
#1 ·
This used to be the front yard

The two trees had to go

Installed drip irrigation on 7/27/2019 using Netafim Techline CV with 0.26 GPH emitters spaced 18 inches apart.

Sand capped with two yards of masonry sand to fill the trenches

The Bermuda started to grow back in about a week

Not perfect but it's better than no irrigation at all. Next season I will be trying to get rid of the #dripstripes

See less See more
#28 ·
I found my reel mower! It's a Toro Greensmaster 1000 that I picked up for $750. We woke up at 5am to drive out to McKinney Texas and pick it up. We didn't get home until around 6pm.

Despite the long drive, I'm very happy with it. It wasn't cutting paper at first but I was able to adjust that and get it cutting paper across the whole bed knife.

Cut the yard today at around 3/4 inch. It looks like crap but it's not the mowers fault. It's from the lawn paint job and my lack of experience.

Next step is to clean it up real nice and learn how to do the grease fittings, change oil/filter/spark plug etc.

#31 ·
I do love this mower! I just put down some stripes in the dormant Bermuda.

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of using it. I popped a ton of wheelies in the process, but I found a good throttle speed I like. I might take off the transport connections to get in closer with the mower against obstacles. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with everything so far.

Had an issue with the throttle cable. It fell out of position inside the control panel and made me think the cable died. I popped it back and now I'm good to go. I went ahead and ordered all new cables for the controls, but I really didn't need to. This is just for piece of mind and to have a small project replacing them. I paid about $150 for the three OEM cables. The cable housings are all busted open and worn so if nothing else they'll look better.

#34 ·
Mopar69 said:
Just looked over your journal. Wow, lots of work in half a year. I've had drip irrigation in my beds for years...have never really used it, I have 5 children (I'm a milk man - insert joke) that I keep busy hand watering. Seems really cool to have in a yard.
Thanks, I like to stay busy. I really enjoy the hand watering as well. The drip should come in handy for vacation and droughts.

1/25/2020

Today I mowed the back yard at 0.5 inch

Still playing with the new mower and learning how it works. So far I've greased all the fittings with Lucas Marine grease and replaced the throttle and clutch cables. I still need to replace spark plug, change the oil, and clean fuel filter.

It's so nice seeing stripes in my dormant grass. I still need to work on making them straight. Lot of leveling to do as well.

#35 ·
Mowed the dormant grass at 0.25 inches. It's crazy how many clippings were created going from 0.5 to 0.25 inch hoc. The clippings left small lines in the yard but it seems to be cutting really well.

Changed the oil and got it starting cold on first pull at half choke and mid throttle.

Using a mightyvac fluid extractor off Amazon for around $25 to remove the old oil and fill with 0.6 quarts of 10w30.

#37 ·
3/1

It's summer weeds pre emergent day! I'm a little early but we have had two 70 degree days in a row with 24 hour soil temps are at 52.

Did a 6 month rate of prodiamine on the front yard and a 3 month rate on the backyard, which still needs to fill in so I'm splitting those apps to make sure I don't overdose anything. Eventually I'll have the full yearly max across everything and then switch back to indaziflam for fall.

I'll hit them again in about 30 days.

In the same tank I put down some humic 12 at the 6oz rate.

I also dusted off the drip irrigation and fixed a few things and created a new zone. It seems to be working fine, but I'll be dragging a hose to water in the pre.

We're not done freezing yet so I'm not bringing out any hose timers quite yet.

#38 ·
3/11/2020

Did an xsoil app on the front and back yard at 10lbs per M rate. So the entire bag covered about 4,500 sq ft. It's been a few days since I did this app and it rained twice since.

Scalped the lawn down to 0.2 inches and bagged clippings on first pass and then stopped collecting for the remaining passes. I probably wasted some of my xsoil prills, but that's fine. I wanted to scalp so I scalped.

This was a pretty difficult process because I was going from .75 to 0.2 inches. I should have probably not done that much at once. It was really difficult to push the mower and I had to raise it pretty often to get the mower to move. I might have damaged my belts some in the process but it still works for now.

I noticed it went from cutting paper before mowing to not cutting after. I will readjust but it's probably telling me I pushed the limits of what the reel can handle. I definitely hit more sticks and stuff that I wanted to.

I do not have a single weed in the yard thanks to indaziflam in October.

The Bermuda is just barely trying to wake up.

This scalp was too early but I couldn't help myself. I'll do it again at 0.1 inches soon.

#39 ·
3/24

Dissolved a 6 oz Tournament Ready pellet in a gallon of water and applied 8oz per M to my front and back yard with a sprayer and the red AI teejet nozzle. Watered it in real well after. I'm hoping this will get the water flowing better with my drip irrigation and avoid the green lines that developed last season.

This is how I'm looking right now. HOC is 0.4 inches

#40 ·
Officially giving up on the turf drip as of today. I just can't handle the spotted appearance and green lines. If I could do it again I would have picked the 0.9 GPH instead of 0.26 GPH and I would not have used propane to warm the tubes before connecting (they tend to leak easier when you do this)

I'm back to dragging hoses with the MP rotators... but at least I know the water coverage will be good. I'm only really focused on 4,700 square foot at the moment, so it shouldn't be too bad. If it becomes unmanageable I'll have to look into "real" irrigation.

I'll still be using drip to water my flowers, shrubs and the long driveway strip of turf which is about 3 foot by 200 foot.

#41 ·
Yesterday was a big scalp day on the backyard. I used my greensworks dethatcher and then ran over everything with with the rotary on the lowest setting several times. I pulled out a ton of dead material, way more than expected. I can really see the dirt now. Still no fert because it's not warm enough.

Today I did a 6 month rate of prodiamine on the same area (1 oz total for 2,700 square foot) with a bit less on the areas that need to fill in after the fence removal. Watered it all in using my mp rotators connected with a hose.

Before and after scalping

#42 ·
My liquid peptides shows up yesterday from subvertnpk.com

I applied this morning to my front yard (0.5 oz per M) along with some Greene effect 7-0-0 (6 oz per M) and Microgreene 0-0-2 (6oz per M)

Used the red XR teejet nozzle since it's a foliar app. Did two passes in different directions... worked out really well

I'm hoping this will get rid of the chlorosis I have

#43 ·
We had ourselves a bit of a late freeze and snow this past weekend

This week the temps are warming up and hopefully staying that way.

I'm not full on fertilizing yet but I did spray a little today

Front yard (rates per M)
O.75 oz depth 10+ peptides
8 oz Greene effect
6 oz microgreene

Backyard (2.7 M)
2.5 oz depth 10+ peptides (going heavy)
8 oz Greene effect

We'll see how this works. The front looks fairly green and nice but the backyard is struggling. The la Prima I seeded last year is coming up real slow and thin and yellow. Everything is scalped and dethatched. Just need warmer weather...

#44 ·
This week I fertilized the front and back with 13-13-13 at a half pound N per M rate. I'm saving my xgrn for later...

I also did an app of subvert depth 10+ on the front and back. The front was light and the back was a full dose around 3oz per M

I need to keep better notes of what I'm doing....

#45 ·
Things are greening up nicely with the subvert depth 10+and xgrn 8-1-8. My neighbors yard looks amazing too (the one in the top right with the handicap ramp) and all they've had this year is prodiamine, a touch of humic 12, a pound of N per M through 13-13-13 and maybe two waterings.

We haven't had a significant rain in months so I'm really surprised how well everything looks. I've been mowing the neighbor lawn about every 3 days at an inch with the earthwise 7 blade and mine every day or two at 0.4 inches with the GM1000.

This spot here (middle strip surrounded by concrete) is getting liquid only fert this season. I'm using Peters professional all purpose 20-20-20 with chelated micros. It's only had 0.4 pounds N so far this year. The pic below is before the first app. Looks nice and green without any fert so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.