Lawn Care Forum banner

Matt's 2020 lawn Journal (Front Reno)

17K views 79 replies 12 participants last post by  Matthew_73 
#1 ·
This is my 3rd year. 2 full years under the belt and this year is my first FULL year of 'lawn nut' status... I have 4 sections 2 of the sections are mostly sun and the others are mostly shade.

For the most part, my yard looks good... virtually weed free.. Lotta little clay mounds that make it unwalkable with bare feet This will be my next project, reno or not... My back and side are majorly bumpy as I plan on putting some top soil/compost in the low spots and throw some seed.

I have some random spots of Bermuda in the Front and side (Sun) and plan on applying the Pylex and Triclopyr to the areas.

reno plans: The Front ONLY... I have got a good yard, but two things that really bothers me to me as I walk or mow the yard... Seeing different kinds of grass and then reluctantly seeing different shades of Green... I guess every year, I could overseed.. Sooo here is my dilemma.

Pics will follow..

See less See more
#3 ·
With my Reno starting 'Officially' today... I am applying Glyso this week and some very mild temps, help liven up the lawn and some rain... Helpful to level lawn and not die of Heat exhaustion... all good...

But I think the REAL strategy I think is I am planning on seeding on the non rain days... Yes... I would rather pay a little more in water and almost sure myself of no MONSOON... Am I guarantee of this not happening? Lets see...

the big area are officially gone the left side may be just an glyso and direct overseed...

#8 ·
Just an update. I did a few patches of tiling and found this... Never thought I would see this in the yard.

I then did a dethatch

After this was done, I sprayed the yard with water so the see would sit better on the yard,

I applied seed at or around 9-10 lbs per k after which I applied Hydretain.. Then added a small covering of Peat moss.. 10 bags per 2200 sq ft.. some areas were thicker.. maybe 8 bags

Watered a few times that day and then a few times today.. and one more tonight... The forecast is SUNNNNNNN with a upper 70's and low 80's after Friday... low to mid 80's next three days.

#15 ·
2 weeks post seeding and 10 days post germination... Seed is looking good, getting alot of Nutsedge and Crab... I did not put tenacity down, I am pulling the young CG and some of the Nutsedge.. What is the reasoning for adding Tenacity 4 weeks after Germination?

I can't wait to mow, but waiting for 3 weeks Post germination...

#17 ·
Well I could not wait, I had to try the Reel Mower out and see what it would do.. I did 3 passes on the end, and it did ok.. I will make a two pass cut this weekend on the rest. I have never used a reel mower and don't how sharp it is and if the blades are close enough to cutting bar.. I will look at it later.. I am also looking at the Wizz spreader. Does anyone know the setting for AMS?

#21 ·
Grass is growing up but not out. some areas where there is grass but not really thick like the rest of yard. then a few spots of no grass. I will rough up the bare spots and some of the thinner areas with my garden weasel and apply seed and apply some peat moss over the cooler temps and rain should play in my favor I was going to do this soon, but going to apply Tenacity so i guess ill do this in a week

#22 ·
Just mowed with my Scott's 20 Classic reel mower and leaf blew the yard. I pulled some weeds and the yard looks GREAT... 30 days since seed down.. a few days from 28 DAG..

With that said, there are areas of 'thinning'

Weeds... What is the use of adding Tenacity to established weeds. ie. Nutsedge and Crabgrass.. I would like to add some grass seed, but debating on adding Tenacity...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.