Baroness Greens Mower Questions

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
ISU
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue
Lawn Size: 9,000
Mower: Toro recycler, Baroness LM66

Re: Baroness Greens Mower Questions

Post by ISU »

Fellas- what’s the usual timeframe for a response back from Bobby or Alex at baroness after requesting parts via email (order@Baroness.us)? sent email Wednesday for replacement bedknife and set of bedknife screws and haven’t heard back.

Should I be calling instead?

Thanks.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

I'll leave this to @TulsaFan as he seems to have them on speed dial :)

I am lucky to have a Baroness dealer here in town I can go to for parts.

I would order bedknife screws from McMaster-Carr as you can get them with Torx heads which are much easier to install and remove. I don't have the exact link on me right now but just do a search in this thread and it should come up as I have posted it before.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia / Bermuda (PRG)
Lawn Size: 1,298 ft²
Mower: Baroness® LM56 greens mower

Post by TulsaFan »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 am
I'll leave this to @TulsaFan as he seems to have them on speed dial :)

I am lucky to have a Baroness dealer here in town I can go to for parts.

I would order bedknife screws from McMaster-Carr as you can get them with Torx heads which are much easier to install and remove. I don't have the exact link on me right now but just do a search in this thread and it should come up as I have posted it before.
I took another one of @Mightyquinn's valuable suggestions and bought those McMaster-Carr Bedknife Screws. However, I have never had to switch out a bedknife as of two seasons of owning the mower.

@ISU Regarding parts, I would email them again. Typically, it only takes a day before I get a shipping confirmation after sending them my order. They also have my cc# on file. Covid may them delayed a bit, but Alex and Co. are very responsive and great to work with on parts! :thumbup:

@1FASTSS Have you received your mower?
TLF SUPPORTERS: Join the 1% in showing your support for TLF!
WHY BARONESS?

ISU
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue
Lawn Size: 9,000
Mower: Toro recycler, Baroness LM66

Post by ISU »

@Mightyquinn -thank you sir. yeah I was thinking getting the torx screws however found a guy to work on the baroness local I can take it to for service/grinds when needed so I am just gonna have him replace the bedknife to begin a relationship for future grinds and such. Though might not be a bad idea to just have him put on the torx screws instead.

@TulsaFan - I sent a follow up email, fingers crossed I get a response! Perhaps I need to start using your name with those guys so I get speedy service😂

Backyard Soldier
Grass Type: Tiffway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Baroness LM56 /Toro TimeMaster

Post by Backyard Soldier »

Anyone in the Columbia, SC area that has found a good place that can service the Baroness?

Along those lines, @Mightyquinn does the Fayetteville dealer service these too? Grindings?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Backyard Soldier wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 am
Anyone in the Columbia, SC area that has found a good place that can service the Baroness?

Along those lines, @Mightyquinn does the Fayetteville dealer service these too? Grindings?
I wouldn't recommend taking your Baroness to the Fayetteville Dealer to get it serviced especially for grinding the reel. I took my 1st Baroness in there to get the reel sharpened before I replaced it and after getting it back it looked like they just backlapped the crap out of it instead grinding it. The bedknife was like razor thin when I got it back and if you go in the back of the store where the shop is at they don't have anything that even looks like they have the ability to do it.

With all that being said, I highly doubt you would even need to get the reel sharpened unless there is NO relief left on the blades. From my experience all you really ever need is a new bedknife and a light backlapping to mate the reel and bedknife together and you will have a razor sharp mower again. Replacing a bedknife is SUPER easy to do by yourself and the only "special" tool you need is a torque wrench which you can by at Harbor Freight really cheap.

If you are going to take your mower to someone else to do all the work then I wouldn't even worry about buying the Torx bedknife screws as the guy you are taking it to should have what he needs to take them off an on. I guess you could still buy them as they are probably cheaper then what Baroness will sell you :D
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

Backyard Soldier
Grass Type: Tiffway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Baroness LM56 /Toro TimeMaster

Post by Backyard Soldier »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:27 am
Backyard Soldier wrote:

I wouldn't recommend taking your Baroness to the Fayetteville Dealer to get it serviced especially for grinding the reel. I took my 1st Baroness in there to get the reel sharpened before I replaced it and after getting it back it looked like they just backlapped the crap out of it instead grinding it. The bedknife was like razor thin when I got it back and if you go in the back of the store where the shop is at they don't have anything that even looks like they have the ability to do it.

With all that being said, I highly doubt you would even need to get the reel sharpened unless there is NO relief left on the blades. From my experience all you really ever need is a new bedknife and a light backlapping to mate the reel and bedknife together and you will have a razor sharp mower again. Replacing a bedknife is SUPER easy to do by yourself and the only "special" tool you need is a torque wrench which you can by at Harbor Freight really cheap.

If you are going to take your mower to someone else to do all the work then I wouldn't even worry about buying the Torx bedknife screws as the guy you are taking it to should have what he needs to take them off an on. I guess you could still buy them as they are probably cheaper then what Baroness will sell you :D
Tracking @Mightyquinn ...that’s good to know,,,I’m mostly asking as ‘if’ I needed a service. Right now, I don’t have any issues. I still cut paper clear across the entire bedknife even months after my last backlapping.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Tifway 419/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by DuncanMcDonuts »

@ISU Alex is more responsive than Bobby. He did seem a bit annoyed when I asked for quotes on multiple parts. He mentioned there was a charge for canceling orders when all I asked was for quotes.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

For future reference, the RRproducts.com product to remove bedknife screws is Item #: R101278T. It's the one for John Deere, but fits the Baroness bedknife screws better than the Toro or Jacobsen tool.

If you have/buy a hand impact diver as seen in the video, you may not need the tool as one of those attachments might work as well.

I am not saying that this is required to remove Baroness bedknife screws. However, sometimes there is always the one screw that it's head will strip and you will wish you had the correct tool in the first place! :lol:

Then, you can switch to @Mightyquinn's suggested McMaster-Carr Bedknife Screws. I would use Anti-seize as well.
WHY BARONESS?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

+1 on the Anti Seize :thumbup:

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

Backyard Soldier wrote:

Here's some grinding advice directly from Baroness...

"When grinding the reel and bedknives, the normal Foley stones are okay. I recommend minimal contact when grinding, as the biggest mistake I see is removing of more material than actually needed. When replacing the bedknives, you will not need to grind the bedknife if you use Baroness original bed knives. The bed bar and the contact surface on the bed knives are CNC machined, and will ensure an accuracy that regular grinders cannot match."

Also, keep in mind that you are not going to need a grind as often as the Big3 (Toro, Jacobsen, John Deere). Most fairway mowers need a bedknife replacement and regrind every year. A Baroness fairway mower can go three seasons before needing a regrind. On average a Baroness fairway mower will go 750 hours between regrinds.
WHY BARONESS?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

+1

For the average homeowner you will RARELY ever need to grind the reel on the Baroness as long as you have a relief and haven't hit anything causing serious damage to the reel all you generally need is a good backlap and you will be back in business. From personal experience, I mowed my lawn once soon after sanding it, so I was picking up a lot of sand in the reel and bedknife and the quality of cut went down as expected. I tried backlapping the crap out of it and could never get it to cut paper. I ended up putting a new bedknife on the mower and I was cutting paper again in no time.

I also ended up buying the bedknife facer from R&R so that I could reface the old bedknife and now I have 2 "used" bedknives that I will install when do dirty work(scalping and mowing after topdressing) with the mower so as not to dull the good bedknife. Which is another reason I recommend replacing the bedknife screws with the Torx head ones as it only take 5-10 minutes to swap out bedknives.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 am
I also ended up buying the bedknife facer from R&R so that I could reface the old bedknife and now I have 2 "used" bedknives that I will install when do dirty work(scalping and mowing after topdressing) with the mower so as not to dull the good bedknife.
Speaking of bedknife facing, I asked a Baroness tech (Graeme) about whether he did it and how often.

Here's his response, "Yes, face them every time before backlapping."

Personally, I have never done it due to not having a backup bedknife in case I screwed something up. :lol:
WHY BARONESS?

1FASTSS
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3166SF

Post by 1FASTSS »

TulsaFan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:56 am
@1FASTSS Have you received your mower?
It was unloaded today at lunchtime. It took them a few extra days to get it picked up. Planning on getting it all cleaned up and ready to mow. They said it would come with a service manual but it didnt. I'm sure there is a source online. :thumbup:

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

Why Baroness?

Baroness greens mowers come with a full 5 year unlimited hour commercial warranty. (Jacobsen, John Deere, and Toro come with a 2 year warranty) So, you know that the engineering is sound by having 2.5 times the warranty of their competition. Although Baroness only entered the US market in 2006, the company was established in 1910.

It's equipped with the sharpest reel cutter in the market. Baroness uses its own special blend of steels and utilizes the same techniques used to achieve the hardness and tenacity that Japanese swards are known. It’s sharp! The reel has made me bleed because I was not paying attention and underestimated its edge. The idea of not having to take my mower to a local golf course every year appeals to me greatly.

Most fairway mowers need a bedknife replacement and regrind every year. A Baroness fairway mower can go three seasons before needing a regrind. On average a Baroness fairway mower will go 750 hours between regrinds.

You hear Baroness owners state that their greens mower is all-gear driven and requires no adjustment to chains or belts. However, why is this important? It means the Baroness all-gear drive has 100% drive transmission rate with no slippage or lag between the drive (drum rotation) to reel rotation ratio. Additionally, it has extremely high durability compared to a belt or chain type greens mower.

So, the reason that I love my Baroness is the simplicity of the design. I like to mow. I do not like to work on broke down equipment when I need to mow. So, dependability is a key issue for me. I apply the grease every 10 hours and fuel when needed.

Three levers to adjust the Baroness mower:

1. Travel drum/reel cutting operation lever

In the Travel OFF position, the mower is easy to push forward or pull backyards due to the drum not being engaged. I often switch it to this position when I am mowing in a narrow spot and need to pull the mower backyards. Try doing that with other greens mowers and you will understand why this is a great feature! I also leave it in this position when I am backlapping the mower.

In the Travel ON position, the mower’s drum is engaged and allows you to easily power the mower without the reel or groomer engaged. However, it is harder to push or pull the mower manually.

In the Reel ON position, the mower’s reel is engaged with the travel drum.

2. HIGH/LOW Clip Frequency Lever

The advantages of a high clip frequency is a faster rotation of the reel cutter which shortens the FOC and enables a more uniform cutting of a green. However, most residential lawns only require a low clip frequency. When the reel is moving at a high clip frequency issues can arise such as increased amount of grass clippings after cut, scalping of a lawn, and the risk of increased stress during the summer months. Cutting the green at a low frequency will reduce the collection of sand when top dressing and decrease the wear on the real cutter and bedknife.

3. Groomer, De-thatcher, Rotatry Brush Accessory Lever
You can choose forward direction or reverse direction (bidirectional) with a simple move of the lever. Also, you can use the lever to turn the accessory off.
Groomer Accessory: This has the benefit of straightening the green’s turf and standing up laid-down grass to cut. Correcting the angle of the turf (grain of the turf) when cutting helps keep the length of the grass (cutting height) uniform and leads to improved putting quality. As a result, this promotes off shoots in the grass, increases the number of sprouts, unifies the leaf area and makes the turf stronger. The recommended attachment direction is forward.

De-thatcher Accessory:
This also benefits turf by standing up the grass blades vertically. However, it has 50% less blades than a groomer which allows it to aggressively go deeper in the turf. The recommended attachment direction is reverse. In reverse rotation the optional attachment can remove thatch between the surface and the grass. This prevents the occurrence of disease and harmful insects. This, also make it easier for the sand to penetrate down into the surface when top dressing. Running this is reverse will help to keep bark and other objects from making their way to the reel.

Brush Accessory:
This benefits turf by eliminating debris and removing morning dew. These can be operated in either forward or reverse direction according to the intended use. This is very helpful after top dressing your lawn to keep the sand away from the reel.

AUTOMOTIVE STYLE CLUTCH

The clutch allows you to feather it which results in a smooth start. Definitely no abrupt start from a belt. The ability of feathering also helps when going around objects on your lawn.

These are just many aspects of why I chose a Baroness over greens mowers from the other Big3. Don't drink the Kool Aid...Do your own investigation of what you want from your future greens mower!
Last edited by TulsaFan on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WHY BARONESS?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

You should work for the marketing department of Baroness :)

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:46 am
I am just not as good as you at keeping secrets. ;)
WHY BARONESS?

1FASTSS
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3166SF

Post by 1FASTSS »

TulsaFan wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 am
Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:46 am
I am just not as good as you at keeping secrets. ;)
LOL...I should have looked at this before I pulled it off the pallet yesterday but in all honesty it took me about all of 3 minutes to figure everything out. Did a quick mow and it will take me a few mows to get used to the clutch but its all good. Its too bad we are coming up on the end of the season. :mrgreen:

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter

Post by TulsaFan »

Transport Axle Replacement Bearings
Baroness Part# K0601062040
Description: Bearing 6204C3

Manufacturer: Koyo
Model: 6204

Reel Replacement Bearings
Baroness Part# K0631302040
Description: Tapered Roller 30204 JRP6

Manufacturer: Koyo
Model: Hi-Cap 30204J
WHY BARONESS?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Yeah, I noticed that too after I replace those when I put a new reel in mine. There are quite a few parts you can cross reference and get online without having to go through a Baroness dealer.