Powhatan's 2020 Lawn Journal

Cool season member lawn journals
Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Re: Powhatan's 2020 Lawn Journal

Post by Deadlawn »

From my perspective, as long as it stays green, I don't really mind the "2 tone" lawn. It's far better than crabgrass!!!
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

@Powhatan, I put down some KY-31 seed (0/0) today. First time ever using it. Do you feel it germinates and grows in as fast as Perennial Ryegrass? I also just threw some of it down, no raking of dead stuff first or covering the seed at all, and pressed it in with the lawn tractor wheels while mowing. Does it do ok in that situation? I'm hoping some of it makes it to bare the soil in those areas.

(We are late in the season here to still be seeding. TTTF is not really viable this late in the year here.) I'm hoping the KY-31 will act more like Ryegrass. Also hoping it might tolerate being mowed over with the tractor shortly after germination.

I know it's not a miracle grass, but it seems pretty close...
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

Green wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm
@Powhatan, I put down some KY-31 seed (0/0) today. First time ever using it. Do you feel it germinates and grows in as fast as Perennial Ryegrass? I also just threw some of it down, no raking of dead stuff first or covering the seed at all, and pressed it in with the lawn tractor wheels while mowing. Does it do ok in that situation? I'm hoping some of it makes it to bare the soil in those areas.

(We are late in the season here to still be seeding. TTTF is not really viable this late in the year here.) I'm hoping the KY-31 will act more like Ryegrass. Also hoping it might tolerate being mowed over with the tractor shortly after germination.

I know it's not a miracle grass, but it seems pretty close...
Last year, I sowed KY-31 around mid-Sept. I'm about 20 minutes north of Springfield, MA (Zone 6A). KY-31 has about the same germination rate as TTTF - about 10-14 days. It did fine and was green all winter and this spring. Summer is what did it in.

You are in 6B, so just a bit warmer and less chance of an early frost. It's still pretty late to sow anything right now. You may get lucky...........or not. It's a crap shoot at this point.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Post by Powhatan »

@Green in my experience both KY-31 & TTTF germinate and grow from seedlings about same rate with similar conditions as far as I can tell. I suspect at some point during the growing process the KY-31 roots will grow deeper than the TTTF during optimal warm growing conditions. You may get lucky and the new KY-31 growth will survive the colder weather, mine did.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Deadlawn wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 pm
From my perspective, as long as it stays green, I don't really mind the "2 tone" lawn. It's far better than crabgrass!!!
Lime green color isn't the only poa triv displeasing lawn turf characteristic. Just like crabgrass, it spreads and chokes out the surrounding desirable grass. During hot dry summer it can turn brown, leaving dead looking patches all over. You might mistake the browning for fungus or grubs. It's not really dead, it's dormant waiting for cooler wet weather again so it can green back up and continue spreading. Sure, there are situations where poa triv is desirable when it's intentionally sowed for a purpose.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Received ~3.00" rain this past week. Soil temp is 57F @ 2" depth. 10 days since broadcasting white & strawberry clover/TTTF mix in bare areas and randomly all over lawn. Lots of new clover and TTTF appearing.

After the grass and soil dries enough, I'll mulch mow and broadcast 50# Nutrients Plus Screamin' Green 16-2-3 fertilizer. I had planned to also broadcast 160# LESCO CarbonPro-G soil improver but my local SiteOne has been out of stock.

Last edited by Powhatan on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

dwaugh
Grass Type: Mix of cool-season and weeds
Lawn Size: 3K
Mower: Toro 60V battery (in Toro Red)

Post by dwaugh »

Looks great!

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

dwaugh wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 am
Looks great!
Thanks

Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

Very nice!

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Deadlawn wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:17 pm
Very nice!
Thanks

Quite remarkable that grass and clover can green back up from a hot non-irrigated July.

A month later after rains return, don't have to waste clean water resources or chase ET0 measurements.

Last edited by Powhatan on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

100-degree soil temps are not something I ever want to see...I don't think I've ever seen triple digits.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Grass grew to 6"+ height, mulch mowed @ HOC highest setting 4.00". Broadcasted 50# Nutrients Plus Screamin' Green 16-2-3 fertilizer and 80# LESCO CarbonPro-G soil improver (limited SiteOne stock).

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Hand-pulled some poa triv, dogfennel, marestail, and orchardgrass weeds. Haven't noticed any poa annua yet.

Last edited by Powhatan on Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Encore azeleas are forming their fall buds. Broadcasted an additional 40# LESCO CarbonPro-G soil improver.

Cover crop mix area has filled in fairly well. The clover will help condition the soil. Now there are zillions of oak nuts falling which will produce several little trees, that's okay, they will leave organic material in the soil when they die.

Aug 2020 before overseed

Oct 2020

Topic Author
Powhatan
TLF Supporter

Post by Powhatan »

Looking over my journal I forgot to post a follow-up pic of the spot where I sprayed neem oil to stop a pythium blight spread.

viewtopic.php?p=328202#p328202

viewtopic.php?p=329089#p329089

Sep 11 sprayed neem oil.

~3 weeks later Oct 2.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products