Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Re: Soil Surfactants/Wetting agents?

Post by Mightyquinn »

Tide wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:14 pm
I'm trying to decide between Tournament Ready and Aquatrols Revolution. Which of these two would you say is the better option to use in liquid form from a backpack sprayer? I have hard red clay soil in a non-irrigated centipede area and it always looks dry.
Have you thought about using Tournament Ready in pellet form through a Pellet Pro gun?

Tournament Ready w/Actosol

Underhill Pellet Pro Applicator

I have used Tournament Ready in the liquid and pellet form and the pellet form is much more economical to use as you are basically watering it in as you apply it.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two wetting agents you are looking at, I think it would come down to price and how easy it would be to get either one. If you can find one of them locally it may be cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay for shipping.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

Tide
Grass Type: Zoysia/St. Augustine/Centipede
Lawn Size: Several Acres
Mower: Rotary and Reel

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:23 am
Have you thought about using Tournament Ready in pellet form through a Pellet Pro gun?

I have used Tournament Ready in the liquid and pellet form and the pellet form is much more economical to use as you are basically watering it in as you apply it.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the two wetting agents you are looking at, I think it would come down to price and how easy it would be to get either one. If you can find one of them locally it may be cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay for shipping.
Thanks, Mightyquinn! I did look at this option, but wasn't sure if that was the route I wanted to go or not due to how far away the centipede area is from the hose spigot. How critical is it that it gets watered in soon after applying? Is this something I could time with rainfall? Also, do you think a hard downpour would wash the wetting agent away or does it absolutely have to be a gentle watering?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

You actually want a good watering after application so it gets down into the soil profile where it can do it's work. The label for the liquid version even states to water it in after application. Using the Pellet Pro kind of eliminates the need for rain or irrigation. I also usually try and time the application with my bug control (Bifen or Pendimethalin) as that needs watered in also.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

Tide

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 am
You actually want a good watering after application so it gets down into the soil profile where it can do it's work. The label for the liquid version even states to water it in after application. Using the Pellet Pro kind of eliminates the need for rain or irrigation. I also usually try and time the application with my bug control (Bifen or Pendimethalin) as that needs watered in also.
I think you're right about the pellets. That's the route I am going to go since it should be easier to apply and also contains their Actosol additive. I certainly do appreciate your advice!

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

@Tide these products help with moisture management and reduce plant stress, but they will never replace water. Don't expect a huge difference in non irrigated zones.

Tide

Post by Tide »

g-man wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:12 pm
@Tide these products help with moisture management and reduce plant stress, but they will never replace water. Don't expect a huge difference in non irrigated zones.
Thanks, g-man. I plan to experiment with the wetting agents in my irrigated zones as well. However, I was hoping to make the biggest difference in my centipede area since it always seems dry. Do you think this is still worth a shot even though it only receives natural rainfall? One of the reasons I thought this would be a good option is because of the experiment mentioned in the Aquatrols blog where one side of a non-irrigated fairway received the wetting agent and the other did not. Based on the blog image, it looks like it worked great in spite of only receiving natural rainfall.

@Mightyquinn One other question. Do you know if the PelletPro applicator will work with a 5/8" hose with an adapter?

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

The experiment was done in sweden or Norway. I don't remember. The weather is very different than Alabama. It doesn't get super hot and they still get some rain. You also need to start the applications before stress shows up (May?). I'm testing some of it in non irrigated areas, but this year I'm getting a ton of rain, so not a good test.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

@Tide The hose size doesn’t matter as all residential hoses come with 3/4” GHT(Garden Hose Thread) fittings on them.

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by SCGrassMan »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:23 am
Tide wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:14 pm
I'm trying to decide between Tournament Ready and Aquatrols Revolution. Which of these two would you say is the better option to use in liquid form from a backpack sprayer? I have hard red clay soil in a non-irrigated centipede area and it always looks dry.

Did I read it correctly, that its one pellet per 1,000 sq ft? And how often does it need to be re-applied?
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338
2020 Lawn Journal:
We don't speak of this year.
2021 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26593

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

1 Pellet will cover roughly 16,000 sq/ft.

You can apply it monthly and/or apply to hot spots or LDS in your lawn as needed

Tide

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 pm
1 Pellet will cover roughly 16,000 sq/ft.

You can apply it monthly and/or apply to hot spots or LDS in your lawn as needed
It appears to be cheaper (based on square foot coverage) to use the pellets when compared to the liquid in addition to being easier to apply. Is this correct? It seems like it should be the other way around.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Not really when you think about it that you aren't paying for water basically. Maybe the process of making the liquid is more expensive?

VALawnNoob
Grass Type: TTTF / KBG
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro

Post by VALawnNoob »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:22 pm
Not really when you think about it that you aren't paying for water basically. Maybe the process of making the liquid is more expensive?
this ^^ it seems like the process of adding water to convert to liquid (and still have reasonable shelf life), packaging and shipping it is the added cost that we pay.

Tide

Post by Tide »

@Mightyquinn About how long in minutes does it take for you to empty one pellet container? Or what's your application method/tips? I want to make sure I get proper coverage without wasting product.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

I haven’t really fine tuned it yet but what you could do is weigh the pellet (8 oz) before you spray and then weigh it after you spray and think you did a good job and then adjust from there. Since one pellet is suppose to cover 16K that’s 2 applications for me. The GPM out of your hose will have a lot to do with how fast or slow you apply it. My hose is connected to my irrigation line so I get 20-30 GPM so YMMV.

rotolow
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 32000
Mower: Lawn Tractor

Post by rotolow »

Tide wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:32 am
@Mightyquinn About how long in minutes does it take for you to empty one pellet container? Or what's your application method/tips? I want to make sure I get proper coverage without wasting product.
Do you have a sprayer? The pellets can be dissolved relatively easily and sprayed without much fuss. Leave them out in the sun for a few hours and they get soft enough for you to squeeze them out of the jar they come in. A little hot water and a paint mixer will make the process quick and easy. I use a 5 gallon bucket and a strainer to dissolve mine.

Tide

Post by Tide »

rotolow wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:55 am
Do you have a sprayer? The pellets can be dissolved relatively easily and sprayed without much fuss. Leave them out in the sun for a few hours and they get soft enough for you to squeeze them out of the jar they come in. A little hot water and a paint mixer will make the process quick and easy. I use a 5 gallon bucket and a strainer to dissolve mine.
Good idea! 1/2 ounce of pellet (if one whole pellet is 8 ounces) per thousand square feet should be about right. I may give this a shot if spraying with the hose doesn't work.

Camman595
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3200
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by Camman595 »

From what I have read, I get the impression that Hydratain takes the water vapor out of the soil and brings it to the roots to be used. And I get the impression that Tournament Ready helps get the water down to the root zone. Is there any benefit to using both products?

Do I misunderstand how these work?

Tide

Post by Tide »

Camman595 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 pm
From what I have read, I get the impression that Hydratain takes the water vapor out of the soil and brings it to the roots to be used. And I get the impression that Tournament Ready helps get the water down to the root zone. Is there any benefit to using both products?

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I was curious if there would be any benefit to combining Tournament Ready with something else to improve moisture management. Is Tournament Ready more of a moisture retainer or a moisture mover? Or both?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Tide wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:16 am
Camman595 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I was curious if there would be any benefit to combining Tournament Ready with something else to improve moisture management. Is Tournament Ready more of a moisture retainer or a moisture mover? Or both?
From all the research I have done Tournament Ready is a moisture retainer but the other advantage is that it evenly distributes the water in the soil also. Now the thing with Hydratain is that it "pulls moisture" from the air to hydrate the soil just seems kind of hokey to me as how would something that is in the soil be able to pull moisture from the air to any extent that it would supplement irrigation or rain. I'm sure it helps with the distribution of water since it's a surfactant but it's also based on old (from the 60's) technology. As far as wetting agents go, it's relatively inexpensive compared to the other ones but if you were to compare it to Tournament Ready you would notice a difference between them immediately. Tournament Ready liquid is like a syrup and if you get some on your hand, it has this film like consistency that is hard to wash off while Hydratain is like soapy water with some Humic in it. I can see how the TR would coat the soil particles and last longer then the Hydratain would. These are just my observations between the two.