Re: Soil Surfactants/Wetting agents?

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:58 am
Tide wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:16 am
Camman595 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 pm
From what I have read, I get the impression that Hydratain takes the water vapor out of the soil and brings it to the roots to be used. And I get the impression that Tournament Ready helps get the water down to the root zone. Is there any benefit to using both products?

Do I misunderstand how these work?
I'm interested in knowing this as well. I was curious if there would be any benefit to combining Tournament Ready with something else to improve moisture management. Is Tournament Ready more of a moisture retainer or a moisture mover? Or both?
From all the research I have done Tournament Ready is a moisture retainer but the other advantage is that it evenly distributes the water in the soil also. Now the thing with Hydratain is that it "pulls moisture" from the air to hydrate the soil just seems kind of hokey to me as how would something that is in the soil be able to pull moisture from the air to any extent that it would supplement irrigation or rain. I'm sure it helps with the distribution of water since it's a surfactant but it's also based on old (from the 60's) technology. As far as wetting agents go, it's relatively inexpensive compared to the other ones but if you were to compare it to Tournament Ready you would notice a difference between them immediately. Tournament Ready liquid is like a syrup and if you get some on your hand, it has this film like consistency that is hard to wash off while Hydratain is like soapy water with some Humic in it. I can see how the TR would coat the soil particles and last longer then the Hydratain would. These are just my observations between the two.
Thanks, @Mightyquinn! Is there any benefit to combining a moisture 'mover' with Tournament Ready? Or would that be excessive?

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

Do you need to move water or keep water?
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

Tide
Grass Type: Zoysia/St. Augustine/Centipede
Lawn Size: Several Acres
Mower: Rotary and Reel

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:19 pm
Do you need to move water or keep water?
I think I need both. My grass stays dry and the soil is extremely hard. I applied Tournament Ready about a week ago, so it may be a little too early to tell a difference.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Sounds like you need to hold water and not move water.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

Tide
Grass Type: Zoysia/St. Augustine/Centipede
Lawn Size: Several Acres
Mower: Rotary and Reel

Post by Tide »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:17 am
Sounds like you need to hold water and not move water.
Good deal. I will keep using Tournament Ready and see how things go. Thank you!

ltsibley
Grass Type: Bermuda, Zoysia & St Augustine
Lawn Size: 9500 sq ft
Mower: GM1000, TruCut C25, TimeMaster

Post by ltsibley »

@Mightyquinn what would you suggest for moving water?

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

ltsibley wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:30 pm
@Mightyquinn what would you suggest for moving water?
I have never needed or used it but I know other members have had some success with Penterra, just do a search for it and it should come up as I think there is a thread on it.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

Cool season lawn in WI at fairway hoc.

Lawn Whisperer
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Honda rotary

Post by Lawn Whisperer »

Anyone with experience using LESCO-Wet Plus Tablet Wetting Agent ? I was looking for Tournament Ready pellets, but Lesco Wet Plus is what my local SiteOne had in stock. Are both products comparable?
Disclaimer: I make mistakes and might have done the math incorrectly or typed something incorrectly.
Note: I’m not the one on You Tube. 8-)
Soil Remediation Guidelines | Selecting a Soil Test Laboratory

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

Lawn Whisperer wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:20 pm
Anyone with experience using LESCO-Wet Plus Tablet Wetting Agent ? I was looking for Tournament Ready pellets, but Lesco Wet Plus is what my local SiteOne had in stock. Are both products comparable?
It may work just as good but it's hard to compare wetting agents as they all have their own unique formulas that they use. I would say if it's cost effective go ahead and buy some and try it out.