Washout Round 2 - Frustration

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
San
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Ego Self Propelled

Re: Washout Round 2 - Frustration

Post by San »

Just think of it as free water for the part of your new grass that didn't wash away. :)

Topic Author
dgrove12
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 2650 sq ft
Mower: Toro Super Recycler 21382

Post by dgrove12 »

San wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 am
Just think of it as free water for the part of your new grass that didn't wash away. :)
Ha, yeah. Trying to take it in stride. The TTTF in the back is doing quite well. There are just spots where I've tried to over seed several times now, only to be hit with storms each time. The KBG in the front is firmly in the pout phase. It's been an inch tall for 7 days now, no tillering yet. This Sunday will be 21 days after seed down, so I'm hoping I see more growth soon. Trying to be patient.

jimmythegreek
Grass Type: Prg,fescue,kb
Lawn Size: 6k
Mower: Honda

Post by jimmythegreek »

Yup the northeast hates us Reno guys. I'm doing a full Reno for my cousin as a favor payback and I'm getting killed. Whole yard slopes and I've had 2 washouts already. He has irrigation I dont need rain at all. Like 7k sqft I've burned thru almost 80# of seed and still need more

San

Post by San »

As misery likes company: I held back on most of the reseeding, but I put down about 200# GCI Cool Blue seed and 30 bags of peat moss on 20k lawn. When Ida was approaching I loaded up my two steepest slopes with 6 bags of Slopemaster.
And after Ida I raked what was left back into place as much as possible and now I'm just keeping it wet.

The back has got quite some bare spots and the front isn't as dense as I would have liked.
But I just try to stay positive, it will give the KBG in my mix a chance to establish itself and not get pushed out by dense TTTF coming up. And I can always just overseed next year, which means I don't have to deal with all the bare dirt/reno things next year.
Last edited by San on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
dgrove12

Post by dgrove12 »

jimmythegreek wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 am
Yup the northeast hates us Reno guys. I'm doing a full Reno for my cousin as a favor payback and I'm getting killed. Whole yard slopes and I've had 2 washouts already. He has irrigation I dont need rain at all. Like 7k sqft I've burned thru almost 80# of seed and still need more
That's just gross. I'm doing just shy of 1k (have to divide the yard up because of the dog) and it's still infuriating. I'd imagine you're fuming.

Slkching28
Lawn Size: 1.5 acre
Mower: Husqvarna TS354XD, Ego 2102SP

Post by Slkching28 »

How do you guys re-level the ground after washout during reno?? I’m talking about after some of the seed already germinated, u can’t really rake it or u will damage the seedlings.

jedross86
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG, PRG, FF
Lawn Size: 9,250
Mower: Makita 36V 21"

Post by jedross86 »

I had bad Ida washout, not just my seed, but newly applied topsoil. My whole property is on a pitch, so the idea was just to make things flat, no bumps, not level. Most of the bad areas required a lot of soil, and I just buried the grass since I was seeding anyway. Well, since there was nothing to hold that soil in place when the rain hit, it all ran off. I had a decent amount of germination in some areas and none in others. I decided to let the soil be to not disrupt/ruin the germination I did have. I guess I'll try to level things out over time, or whenever I decide to do a full reno. I don't really know how feasible it is to add an inch of soil/sand here and there without killing my grass but will start researching.

I feel the frustration. Spent a ton of money, ton of time, got a stress fracture in my foot, and had a not so fun episode of heat exhaustion trying to get everything in shape and get seed down at the right time. Saw Ida coming our way. Spent another half a day putting hay with tack everywhere. Didn't help much and any seed that hadn't germinated (and some that did) was all swept into the street. Re-seeded and peated and then had a decent amount of seed wash out again from a tstorm. Sucks, and there are times I think this was all a waste, but there will still be progress. I'll eventually get to where I want to be.

Topic Author
dgrove12

Post by dgrove12 »

Slkching28 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pm
How do you guys re-level the ground after washout during reno?? I’m talking about after some of the seed already germinated, u can’t really rake it or u will damage the seedlings.
I'm no pro but I raked mine. I probably did some damage to the kbg because it's still pouting and seems pretty delicate. But it's kbg, so I figure it'll self-repair... eventually. First time growing it, so I'm just going by what others have said. The TTTF in the back yard has held up fine to light raking > more peat > rinse > repeat. Definitely some bare spots where I have slopes. Should have used slope master or something. I still hold out hope that I can over seed and the rain will hold off for 10 days or so.

San

Post by San »

I've been reducing watering and stopping earlier, but with the ongoing rain, I now have fungus killing the new grass.
Put down some Propiconazolen and hoping for the best...

hobbyaddict1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6,000
Mower: Toro timemaster

Post by hobbyaddict1 »

I did a front Reno (did not know it was a reno at the time ;) I used a product called EZ straw as a top layer. About 1 week later we had a terrible /terrific whatever you want to call it downpour. Until that rain we had 90 deg weather and sun, so I was watering 4 times daily.
I was very fortunate despite the flooding i guess 90/95 % of my seed remained due to the straw. I added seed to bare spots and moved on.

The straw held things in place however once germination occurred my big concern was that the straw would prevent growth by smothering. I may have put on too heavy. I starting cutting the grass as soon as possible per recommendations. The mower has been doing a decent job getting most of the straw up allowing for the new grass to grow.(It does not decompose fast enough) I was thinking the covering was the solution, it did the job but brings on another set of challenges. I feel your frustrations... This forum has been very helpful.

Topic Author
dgrove12

Post by dgrove12 »

Holding out hope that I can get this sucker to fill in this year. This is the TTTF mix in the back. KBG is still pouting.

Slkching28
Lawn Size: 1.5 acre
Mower: Husqvarna TS354XD, Ego 2102SP

Post by Slkching28 »

@dgrove12 when you have washout, did they get collect somewhere?? I had a recent washout and the seed all collected in small area and they all germinate and it seem overcrowded. I don’t think they would survive and curious if you guys rake them back into place after every washout??
It looks like this now and I think that’s too many seedling and it’s only 3” long and just mowed it down back to 2”

Topic Author
dgrove12

Post by dgrove12 »

Slkching28 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:22 pm
@dgrove12 when you have washout, did they get collect somewhere?? I had a recent washout and the seed all collected in small area and they all germinate and it seem overcrowded. I don’t think they would survive and curious if you guys rake them back into place after every washout??
It looks like this now and I think that’s too many seedling and it’s only 3” long and just mowed it down back to 2”
I have a couple spots that are crowded like that but I raked as best as I could every time I washed out. I figured if I did damage and the seed didn’t take, I would just over seed. In fact, I had three rounds of seed > washout > rake > over seed. I probably used too much seed but this section of my yard has always been thin and full of weeds. A super thick turf, while not optimal, would be a good problem to have. Here are pics from today. Can’t wait for it to darken up. Excited for next year to tackle the full Reno in the front.

NotTheGreenGiant
Grass Type: Cool Season
Lawn Size: 1350 sqft
Mower: Rotary Ego Power

Post by NotTheGreenGiant »

This September has been a total troll job from Mother Nature. I also have a pretty sloped property, and have seen heavy downpours every week this month! Certain areas I have put down new seeds 4 times already. But they are coming in.. slowly... a bit at a time. I will have to go for erosion blankets next time.

Topic Author
dgrove12

Post by dgrove12 »

I think the pout is over!! KBG tillering like mad in my curb strips. Needs a ways to go to catch up to the TTTF. Winner of the 2 will be what goes down in next year's full reno.

jackallis
Grass Type: planning TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: ~10K
Mower: HONDA

Post by jackallis »

Slkching28 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:22 pm
is that fungus i am looking at on the bottom right?