jskierko 2021

Cool season member lawn journals
rhart
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 18,000 sq feet
Mower: Toro 3100/California Trimmer

Re: jskierko 2021

Post by rhart »

Looks fantastic...the reno really came in nicely as well.
RHART'S Fall 2021 Reno viewtopic.php?t=30770

bf7
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 9,500 sq ft
Mower: John Deere 220B

Post by bf7 »

Looking mint. It sure shut down fast this year. I went from drowning in clippings to 1/4 inchers almost overnight. Last year was more of a gradual taper.

Wile
Grass Type: KBG/Rye/NO MIX
Lawn Size: 11250
Mower: JD 260B 7 Blade

Post by Wile »

jskierko wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:59 pm
Shutting down the journal for the season. Only mowed twice in November so far and each mow only produced 0.25" or so clippings. It really slowed down fast this year compared to years past. Might have 1 more mow left, mostly just for cleanup. Will probably put the winterizer N (planning 1 lb of N per k via urea) the week after Thanksgiving.

Total inputs 2021 (before winterizer):
N- 4.7 lbs
P- 1.1 lbs
K- 2.1 lbs

Total application costs 2021:
That’s really great to see how much money goes into having an elite lawn. Planning mine out for next year and it’s already looking similar in cost. Are you targeting a certain amount of N or go by what it looks like it needs more?
Fall '21 Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama overseed
Wile's Lawn Journal

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: F: Bewitched KBG Back: NoMix
Lawn Size: 18,000
Mower: Timemaster/Swardman/GM1600

Post by jskierko »

Wile wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:54 am
That’s really great to see how much money goes into having an elite lawn. Planning mine out for next year and it’s already looking similar in cost. Are you targeting a certain amount of N or go by what it looks like it needs more?
I usually try to stick with a minimum of 4 lbs N annually and at least 2 lbs of N from Labor Day until the end of the season. I probably could have pushed it more at different times of the year, but keeping up with mowing gets tough for me as I usually have a max of 3 days per week that I have the ability to mow (I work retail, so varying and often later and longer hours) and I need cooperation with the weather. So I tread lightly on really pushing top growth. Next year, however, I plan on a sand topdressing so I'm sure I will be throwing it down big time to aid in recovery. Essentially, I feed as I see the need in spring and summer, then try to get a structured application of 0.25 lbs N weekly in the fall.
83.33% Bewitched Monostand, 16.67% 2022 Nuke-Bound Northern Mix

jskierko Lawn Journal 2020 Bewitched Reno
jskierko Lawn Journal 2021

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Winterizer N down today. Had a full 50 lb bag of urea and just decided to simplify it for myself and get rid of it. 1.27 lbs N per K. Reno area pictured below after last mow of the season on 11/24. Love seeing it next to the NoMix.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie »

jskierko wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Wife sent me these pictures of our backyard right after a downpour today. This is maybe the 3rd time I've seen this happen in the 9 years I've lived here. Pop-up showers have been the norm here for the past several days, making any planning or predicting just about impossible. Grass is growing like crazy and it's been impossible to coordinate my time off of work with a long enough dry spell to get anything done.

This is a little off topic but how is your rubber mulch working out? I also have a Swardman and I'm a little concerned about pieces getting everywhere and on my lawn. I'm looking at options go under a playground a little smaller than yours and am not sure which would be best. I hate woodchips. That stuff is a mess and don't want to deal with wood everywhere but I'm concerned the rubber wouldn't be much better. Does it get dirty? What about if animals poop in it?

steffen707
Grass Type: Rye / Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 9800
Mower: John Deere GX345

Post by steffen707 »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:24 pm
jskierko wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Wife sent me these pictures of our backyard right after a downpour today. This is maybe the 3rd time I've seen this happen in the 9 years I've lived here. Pop-up showers have been the norm here for the past several days, making any planning or predicting just about impossible. Grass is growing like crazy and it's been impossible to coordinate my time off of work with a long enough dry spell to get anything done.

This is a little off topic but how is your rubber mulch working out? I also have a Swardman and I'm a little concerned about pieces getting everywhere and on my lawn. I'm looking at options go under a playground a little smaller than yours and am not sure which would be best. I hate woodchips. That stuff is a mess and don't want to deal with wood everywhere but I'm concerned the rubber wouldn't be much better. Does it get dirty? What about if animals poop in it?
My dog LOVES pooping on the wood chips. We also have pine trees surrounding our play area, so i get lots of leaves/pine needles in the wood chips. Its a pain in the butt. I shovel out a considerable amount of wood chips each spring. I'm about due for another 4x5x8 trailer of wood chips to replenish it.

I grew up with grass under the playset, nobody ever broke a bone (on the playset or the ground below it), however I would feel aweful if a neighbor kid got hurt, so I went the wood chip route. About 5.5" of woodchips around all the playset with 18" of woodchips under the end of the slides and the swing area. Kids love to kick up the chips, and if you don't have them deep, you'll eventually have dirt.; however, If you read the national safety people, you're supposed to have like 8-12" of woodchips everywhere. That's crazy.

I've read that rubber chunks and the rubber pellets that college soccer people play on may be linked to cancer. Makes sense if you're breathing in rubber dust. Also rubber is more expensive.

These are the reasons I went with wood chips. BUT, you can't just get any old bark. The quality stuff lasts longer, and provides more cushion I believe.

This is where I get my chips from. I found out from the village and county that this is the place they all order their playground wood chips from.
http://www.grezenskiforestproducts.com/products/
"Chips (when in season)
All-natural hardwood chip that is dye and chemcial free.
Aspen and Basswood chips for playgrounds that meet the specific needs and requirements for play areas of schools, day cares, etc.
Delivery available."

I would suggest asking your own town/county/city the same question. I think it was like $5-10 per yard, and I needed 20 yards. I hauled it myself in 5x8 and 6x10 trailer, but they would have delivered it for a price; however, i didn't want any equipment on the lawn.

I parked my truck on the road, hooked the riding mower to the trailer, hauled it to the backyard and shoveled onto a wheelbarrow and spread them out. Easiest part of the whole project was filling it with wood chips. And I had no ruts in the lawn.

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
I am very happy with the investment to go with the rubber mulch. The rubber mulch definitely holds in place much better than any wood mulch I ever had. If you run through it it doesn't kick up like wood chips, simply due to the tackiness of the rubber. Luckily for me this area is literally in the lowest point of my yard, so I am rarely concerned about mulch running out of the area like it does with a heavy rain in the beds around the house (mostly due to the grade sloping away from the house and therefore from the landscaping beds). When defining the area, I dug the edges a little bit deeper to create a lip to help keep everything contained. If you are concerned with wood chips getting out of the area you should check out @Wile's lawn journal. He keeps his grass around the beds longer to keep things in place and I think it's a unique aesthetic that I may try next year.

I have definitely hit a few pieces of the rubber mulch with the Swardman and, although the sound is unpleasant, I haven't noticed any issues. It isn't like hitting a rock or something solid where it will put a knick in the reel, it just sends it flying and possibly some additional wear but nothing that requires attention. If it gets displaced and kicked or washed into the grass It rakes back into place with a plastic leaf rake just as easily as wood mulch.

I have only noticed it getting dirty after the dogs/kid goes out after a rain and tracks mud in it. But it washes clean with the next rain shower. I only have the dogs and I've seen poop in it once which cleaned up with ease and rabbits that come through the fence (of which I've never seen rabbit poop in the rubber mulch but always plenty in the grass). It seems as though animals don't particularly care for it which is great.

All in all, it's a big investment up front but I would definitely pick the rubber mulch again and recommend it for any area like this.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie »

jskierko wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm
Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
I am very happy with the investment to go with the rubber mulch. The rubber mulch definitely holds in place much better than any wood mulch I ever had. If you run through it it doesn't kick up like wood chips, simply due to the tackiness of the rubber. Luckily for me this area is literally in the lowest point of my yard, so I am rarely concerned about mulch running out of the area like it does with a heavy rain in the beds around the house (mostly due to the grade sloping away from the house and therefore from the landscaping beds). When defining the area, I dug the edges a little bit deeper to create a lip to help keep everything contained. If you are concerned with wood chips getting out of the area you should check out @Wile's lawn journal. He keeps his grass around the beds longer to keep things in place and I think it's a unique aesthetic that I may try next year.

I have definitely hit a few pieces of the rubber mulch with the Swardman and, although the sound is unpleasant, I haven't noticed any issues. It isn't like hitting a rock or something solid where it will put a knick in the reel, it just sends it flying and possibly some additional wear but nothing that requires attention. If it gets displaced and kicked or washed into the grass It rakes back into place with a plastic leaf rake just as easily as wood mulch.

I have only noticed it getting dirty after the dogs/kid goes out after a rain and tracks mud in it. But it washes clean with the next rain shower. I only have the dogs and I've seen poop in it once which cleaned up with ease and rabbits that come through the fence (of which I've never seen rabbit poop in the rubber mulch but always plenty in the grass). It seems as though animals don't particularly care for it which is great.

All in all, it's a big investment up front but I would definitely pick the rubber mulch again and recommend it for any area like this.
Thank you very much! The playground is going in a dirt area next to the grass. I have metal edging to keep my Bermuda in place but I could just see my kids finding it fun to toss the rubber mulch in the grass. Glad to hear it didn't destroy the mower. I guess there's no perfect fix for keeping it in place but that's a good idea to dig down just a little. It's a low point in my yard as well where the water drains to but I'm going to have to level it out some so that might help. I have PTSD from wood mulch. My first house was a foreclosure and the bank's way of sprucing up the yard was to cover it in all of the wood chips ever made. I would rake and fill up my trashcan every week for I don't know how many weeks to get rid of the stuff. The idea of paying for wood chips on purpose after all that....

Good to hear the dogs don't like it. I hope that's true of my dogs. Seems like it's worth the investment. Did you get yours from a local outfit or home Depot or another big box store? Do you mind me asking ballpark about what it ran? Your area is a bit larger than mine but I'm thinking maybe around $800 for a 30'x20' rectangle. I'm probably way under in my estimate aren't I?

Topic Author
jskierko
TLF Supporter

Post by jskierko »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:22 pm
Did you get yours from a local outfit or home Depot or another big box store? Do you mind me asking ballpark about what it ran? Your area is a bit larger than mine but I'm thinking maybe around $800 for a 30'x20' rectangle. I'm probably way under in my estimate aren't I?
I purchased it from Lowe's. I believe I ended up purchasing about 200 bags of this. I went with the nuggets instead of the shredded rubber mulch. I just thought it looked cleaner for a non landscaped area. It was easy just to pick up 30-40 bags each time I was at Lowe's, then carry them out at my convenience rather than have a pallet of them sit in my driveway.

Realistically my area is about 900 sq ft and my all-in cost with tax and everything was close to $1500. I have a few bags left over that I am holding back to fill any low spots under swings and such. But I'd probably put you in the ballpark of $800-1000. I did price a few bulk deliveries and buying bagged ended up being even slightly cheaper with the added convenience of spreading it when I had time.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products