Topic Author
ShadowGuy
Grass Type: Kikuyu(rear) & PRG(front)
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: McLane 20" Reel

Re: ShadowGuy's Lawn Journal - Kikuyu to PRG

Post by ShadowGuy »

Embracing the Kikuyu blend in Socal.
ShadowGuy's Lawn Journal - Kikuyu (Rear yard)
ShadowGuy's Lawn Journal - Kikuyu to PRG (Front Yard)

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Dropped it to 0.5”.

It’s starting to strip much better. Single doubles, oriented so the darker wider stripes face the street.

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Loving the PRG, and it is loving the cool, foggy mornings.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

Nice journal. That warm season mix does not look bad at all. Since it's doing well, and also allowing PR to survive, why not consider just doing a yearly (if needed) PR overseed in early Fall, right into the Kikuyu/etc. mix? Kikuyu is be coming more accepted as a turfgrass lately, and the Bermuda you have is probably an older type that isn't quite as aggressive, and allows other grasses to grow to an extent.

Or maybe Reno part of the lawn, and go with the overseed plan for the rest. Cool/warm season mixes in the transition zone are becoming more accepted as well. I think they are the future.

Our SiteOne manager spoke favorably of Kikuyu out West (he went to school for turf).

I can tell you now, that PR-only hellstrip is likely going to be a battle in the Summer, to keep alive. We have the same problem here, in sunny areas. But Winters are too cold for anything but Zoysia in warm season grass, and it's brown at least 5 months. I think a cool/warm mix would work well in your area. Your existing grass is strong because it's been there so long. Use that to your advantage.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Green wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:15 pm
Nice journal. That warm season mix does not look bad at all. Since it's doing well, and also allowing PR to survive, why not consider just doing a yearly (if needed) PR overseed in early Fall, right into the Kikuyu/etc. mix? Kikuyu is be coming more accepted as a turfgrass lately, and the Bermuda you have is probably an older type that isn't quite as aggressive, and allows other grasses to grow to an extent.

Or maybe Reno part of the lawn, and go with the overseed plan for the rest. Cool/warm season mixes in the transition zone are becoming more accepted as well. I think they are the future.

Our SiteOne manager spoke favorably of Kikuyu out West (he went to school for turf).

I can tell you now, that PR-only hellstrip is likely going to be a battle in the Summer, to keep alive. We have the same problem here, in sunny areas. But Winters are too cold for anything but Zoysia in warm season grass, and it's brown at least 5 months. I think a cool/warm mix would work well in your area. Your existing grass is strong because it's been there so long. Use that to your advantage.
Thanks for the comments. For the summer 2022, I think I will do just as you suggested and keep the kik/prg mix. There is a bit of SA in there too, but I don't think it is going to survive the 0.5" cut all winter. It recently consistently been getting into the 40's overnight, and the kik is starting to yellow more. We have a storm rolling in tomorrow, so I just did another mow since it will be too wet until next week to mow again. Bumped it up to 0.75, to help hide the yellow kik.

We will see about keeping the PR going through summer in the hell-stripe, if I fail, then overseed in fall, and do another reno in spring. :) Maybe bentgrass?. Neither the bermuda or Kik has really come back in the hellstrip, but we will see when things start heating up next May. I might not have a choice in the matter.

Green

Post by Green »

Very cool reply and plan, and please keep the journal going in this section...I and many others only have time to look at cool season forums. Good luck!

You can keep the PR hellstrip going all Summer with lots of water and maybe some fungicide...if you plan to be out hand watering every couple of days...not sure if you have a lot of restrictions on watering there...but yeah.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Rained past couple days, and was able to get another mow in before the next storm hit.

Honored to be nominated for LOTM. :D

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Finally dried out from the last storm, and I was able to get another mow in. 2 weeks left until I have to go back to the office, so the commute might cut into my mow time. Trying to decide where to go from here. Should I should start a PGR treatment to keep it low, or just let it get longer in the 2"-3" range and maintain with my rotary. I was planning on a overseed in March and let it go longer as I will be shifting my attention to the rear yard that will be coming out of semi-dormacy.

Green

Post by Green »

Is the main front a mix?

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

Green wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:29 pm
Is the main front a mix?
Yes. Kikuyu and St. Augustine, that has been overseeded by PRG. PRG is the SS 9000.

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

It needs a mow, but I have not decided what to do yet.

Topic Author
ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

I have decided what to do. Since the days are getting longer and the sustained lower temps are behind us, the Kik is starting to wake up. I need to spray out some broadleaf weeds in the front lawn area. So to reduce stress on the lawn, I am going to let it all grow out to about 1.5", the lowest on my rotary. This should give me a larger interval between mows, and try out the PRG at a higher HOC. I am not confident the PRG Kik mix will look very good, but we will see. If I can keep the PRG in the parkway going strong through spring and summer, I may just reno the whole front lawn and go pure PRG next fall.