Lawn Care Forum banner

Iowa Jim's reno 2018

18K views 133 replies 23 participants last post by  iowa jim 
#1 ·
Its to late to turn back now, put glysophate down 6-27-18. My plan for my reno is as follows. ( depending on weather)
7-2-18 cut grass to 1 1/2" and rake. ( grass at 3" now)
7-3-18 dethatch and cut grass to 1" and rake.
7-3-18 start fallowing at 10 minutes at 3x a day.
8-1-18 second round of glysophate.
8-3-18 areate with double pass.
8-4-18 level low spots and roll.
8-7-18 drag to smooth out the lawn and break up the cores.
8-8-18 spot spray glysophate in the morning and water 1/2" in the evening. ( 6 hours apart )
8-9-18 scarify the lawn lightly, put seed down at 2 1/2 lbs. per k ( 50% midnight, 25% mazama, 25% bewitched ) then roll the lawn. Scotts starter fertilizer with weed preventer, peat moss at 1/4"
This is my first reno so please let me know of anything i'm doing wrong: I welcome all comments, good or bad.
Thanks Iowa Jim

See less See more
#4 ·
Away we go, everything has been done as to my first post. I have understood the processes to get to this point but a little fuzzy going forward. My plan right now is to water to keep things damp, then at 30 days start weening off the water. Im going to put down a app of milo and start spoon feeding AS at .25lbs of n weekly (ph is 7.2). Thanks to everybody that got me this far, it is very much appreciated. More pics and updates to follow.

#11 ·
social port said:
good luck, @iowa jim :thumbup:

Are you covering that area with two sprinklers?
Yes i am, a lot of dragging hoses around. I have 7 zones set up with tent stakes so i know where to to set my sprinklers and my big sprinkler in the back has a timer on it so that helps. For about 45 days i will have to be very careful how i walk on it . I have the 200ft hose run along my sidewalk by the garage, then on mulch past my shed, then along pea gravel where i store my 4 wheeler and boat so i only have to walk on about half of the back yard and none of the front yard. The lawn is to big for irrigation for what i can afford. By the way I'm cheap.

#13 ·
zeus201 said:
nice work so far!
It really is.

The sprinkler situation was a concern, but it sounds like you've done everything you can to address the issue. FWIW, I did quite a bit of walking on my 'baby grass' last year while it was getting established. I don't recommend it all. I only did so in order to work on connections at my spigot. That being said, that grass (that I ever so lightly, but repeatedly) walked on came out just fine :thumbup:

One other thing: Is that clover I see popping out of the peat? Creeping charlie? Crabgrass?

#15 ·
zeus201 said:
social port said:
It really is.
I'm living vicariously through all these reno's as I LOVE to do one. I was all set to do it this year but wife / kids cramped my style.
I hear you, 1,000%. I love a thick, green stand of turf. All day. Every day.
But right now, when I see a lawn turn fully brown after a perfectly applied blanket app of glyph, or a well-prepared seed bed, I get...kind of warm and tingly.

#16 ·
social port said:
zeus201 said:
nice work so far!
It really is.

The sprinkler situation was a concern, but it sounds like you've done everything you can to address the issue. FWIW, I did quite a bit of walking on my 'baby grass' last year while it was getting established. I don't recommend it all. I only did so in order to work on connections at my spigot. That being said, that grass (that I ever so lightly, but repeatedly) walked on came out just fine :thumbup:

One other thing: Is that clover I see popping out of the peat? Creeping charlie? Crabgrass?
It is mostly crabgrass that grew back after my first kill. I killed all the creeping charlie and clover in the early spring with weed b gone cco, with 2 apps.

#20 ·
social port said:
@iowa jim Congratulations!! :yahoo:

What was that...about 4 days for germination?
Was going to wait 7 days and do the flashlight test and couldn't believe my eyes when i looked out this morning and saw the grass babies. Six days isn't what i was expecting, although its mostly up in the shaded areas, for some reason.

#24 ·
Im pretty happy with the early germination that I'm seeing. Other than a couple of washed out areas that i have to reseed. Does anybody know why the grass is growing better in the shade than the full sun areas? The only thing i can think of its staying wetter in the shade, maybe i should water a little more. Thanks for the compliments guys.

#25 ·
@iowa jim in my experience, germination is quicker and better generally in shade. I think you're right and it's probably because things stay moister. After germination though, the shade parts may slow down relative to the other sections, depending on how much they actually get.

#26 ·
STL said:
@iowa jim in my experience, germination is quicker and better generally in shade. I think you're right and it's probably because things stay moister. After germination though, the shade parts may slow down relative to the other sections, depending on how much they actually get.
Now that i think about it, i have trouble with my sprinklers hitting this tree in my front yard and the grass seems to do real well where the tree knocks down the water. So it gets extra water and some shade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.