Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
NClawnnut78
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: .25
Mower: Tru-Cut H20

Re: TruCut Reel Mower Questions

Post by NClawnnut78 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I am all about sharing info.....

OK so Rosa at tru-cut(thank you so much)how long has she worked there? Was nice enough to get me in touch with the technical support department.

Tech support said this with the above bering cover is by design on H20's I cant speak to other models, the lockNlube 90 degree flat will grease at 1000PSI. Grease going through that bering as small as it is the cover was designed to come off in case pressure was to high. Guess standard grease guns are at a lower PSI sorry DOC your tool was inferior to lockNlube. It is just a snap on cover that a screwdriver will snap back in place. Thank god...no damage at all it is all by design per the vendor Tru-Cut.

So while I had techsupport on the phone as a I im a wanna be DIY guy I started asking questions.

1)Zerks are press fitted. if one falls off or breaks off well you may be able to get one in but a part will have to be ordered to avoid further damage

2)Grease your grease zerks every 30 hours or less.
3)Make sure your Chains are not dried out and oil them...take the chain cover off every so often and inspect.
4)before you get a grind backlap 2 or 3 times before they start the sharpen process.
5)After they grind have them backlap 2 or three times.
6) all chains on the H20 are #41 so if you have a motorcycle shop nearby like i do you can run over there to get a chain.
7) reel to bedknife adjustment - will add that later but need to confirm its not already posted but have more details on that process.

sanders4617
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Husqvarna and Tru-Cut C27

Post by sanders4617 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 pm

I think a set screw on this piece worked itself out. I can move this back and forth no problem and my chain slipped off.

Anyone know what I need to get this locked back down?

cnet24
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 7k
Mower: Trucut C27

Post by cnet24 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm

@NClawnnut78 go ahead and share with us what they said about reel to bedknife adjustment. That is one of the main issues with the Tru Cut and I’m sure there are others that are eager to hear what they said about it.

TNTurf
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Honda

Post by TNTurf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Works out that I always used motorcycle chain lube on the chains. Not too wet. The press fit zerks are easy to swap. I have replaced two so far and find them at tractor supply. They are 5/16 press fit. On the 27” there is one on the chain shaft going to the reel that sticks out of the cover so it broke off once.
Last edited by TNTurf on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NClawnnut78

Post by NClawnnut78 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Yeah I too use motorcycle chain cleaner and lube on my chains. I don't know about replacing pressfit zerks so just repeating what i was told. That question I did not ask.

ok so I read all over this forum thread and did not see anything posted on the correct order for reel to bedknife adjustment.
it was close but not correct and it could have changed as trucut has been around how long. This is for my H20 so I dont know if it applies to other models.

Facing the reel standing in the front

1) lower the reel to bedknife with your adjustment tools span wrench is prefered only not to cause issues. Chain can be on or off. make sure the reel to bedknife is straight across level

2) hand tighten all the bolts and make sure your still straight accorss the bedknife and can rotate the reel not spinning just a test....slowly...
3) facing the front towards the reel tighten the top right hand side bolts the 9 o'clock and 2 o'clock the order of bolt of which first I did not ask, I should have but did not. It may not matter.
4) facing the front towards the reel tighten the bottom two left hand side bolts the 5 o'clock and the 9'oclock. once these are tightened and re-test to see if your still level straight across.
5 ) tighten the last ones looking from behind each side changes the gap to the bedknife. check the reel to make sure its straight and light to mild contact occurs not a hard scraping and can rotate freely...

Again I was told this is the process but getting it straight may require tweaking as we all know tru-cut adjustments take a bit of time.

I hope this post helps....I know i was very curious about this process.
Last edited by NClawnnut78 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NClawnnut78

Post by NClawnnut78 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Yeah Tru-cut mentioned the chains cannot dry out. Keep oil on them and check them regular. If they dry out they will break or have issues.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: TruCut C27/John Deere 220B

Post by Spammage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 pm

NClawnnut78 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm
4) facing the front towards the reel tighten the bottom two left hand side bolts the 5 o'clock and the 9'oclock. once these are tightened and re-test to see if your still level straight across.
This is interesting, and different from what I've seen in the past. Crazy enough, this side is what always gives me the most grief. Maybe this will be the answer to the problem.

SGrabs33
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut

Post by SGrabs33 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 am

sanders4617 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 pm
I think a set screw on this piece worked itself out. I can move this back and forth no problem and my chain slipped off.

Anyone know what I need to get this locked back down?

There are a couple of set screw on the sprocket. They have either loosened or slipped off.

TNTurf

Post by TNTurf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:34 am

Too bad Tru Cut moves the reel vs the bed knife.

MeanDean
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6k sqft
Mower: GM1000 & 27'' Tru Cut

Post by MeanDean » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:02 pm

So this sprocket needs to be replaced and it's rusted. I twisted an Alan wrench trying to get it off. Any suggestions?

smurg
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: Tru-cut P-20

Post by smurg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 am

MeanDean wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:02 pm
So this sprocket needs to be replaced and it's rusted. I twisted an Alan wrench trying to get it off. Any suggestions?
WD40 and some channel locks.

bp2878
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cent mix, reno to Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 17,000 sqft
Mower: Tru-Cut C25, JD 220b

Post by bp2878 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:38 am

PB blaster and bearing puller if that doesn't get it.

TNTurf

Post by TNTurf » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:29 am

bp2878 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:38 am
PB blaster and bearing puller if that doesn't get it.
That would be my first move. Spray it with penetrant and let it sit a bit then use a 2/3 jaw puller. Should pop right off. Not everyone has a puller so then you would need to get more creative. I have some ideas if you dont have one. I didn’t for a long time and made do then was gifted several and now use them on a regular basis since I have older equipment.

bp2878
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cent mix, reno to Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 17,000 sqft
Mower: Tru-Cut C25, JD 220b

Post by bp2878 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Autozone will lend you a puller for free if you have one close by.

Oceanus
Grass Type: Bermuda, Princess 77
Lawn Size: 7,000
Mower: Greensmaster 1600

Post by Oceanus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Please consider adding you purchases to the new Mower Purchase List 3000

NClawnnut78

Post by NClawnnut78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Ok reel to bedknife update. Back to where I got it back from reel sharpening in off season.(they did not backlap and cut paper after grinding I know better this year.) So tested with a note card. The note card will rotate the entire reel going all the way across the bedknife facing reel right to left.(even bought a level to stick on the reel bar between the blades, it was between the lines level) Cut this weekend looks like the center cuts better than the out edges but still looked ok if i cut the grass different directions or ran over multiple times. I did go back and see some grass being bent over or ripped. Now I think i need to backlap but have never backlaped before at all.

Backlap reel:

Tru-cut wants to backlap with a kit. (I get it sales)
Questions I have can you backlap with the current chain on? Anyone had issues with that method or will it damage the chain

How much reel to bedknife pressure when turning reverse
I was going to do it 3 times and re-adjust each time.

anyone got really good advice as I am new to backlapping.
looks like 80 grit is what tru-cut wants anyone else use anything different?

any help and lessons learned would be great

TNTurf

Post by TNTurf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm

NClawnnut78 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 pm
Ok reel to bedknife update. Back to where I got it back from reel sharpening in off season.(they did not backlap and cut paper after grinding I know better this year.) So tested with a note card. The note card will rotate the entire reel going all the way across the bedknife facing reel right to left.(even bought a level to stick on the reel bar between the blades, it was between the lines level) Cut this weekend looks like the center cuts better than the out edges but still looked ok if i cut the grass different directions or ran over multiple times. I did go back and see some grass being bent over or ripped. Now I think i need to backlap but have never backlaped before at all.

Backlap reel:

Tru-cut wants to backlap with a kit. (I get it sales)
Questions I have can you backlap with the current chain on? Anyone had issues with that method or will it damage the chain

How much reel to bedknife pressure when turning reverse
I was going to do it 3 times and re-adjust each time.

anyone got really good advice as I am new to backlapping.
looks like 80 grit is what tru-cut wants anyone else use anything different?

any help and lessons learned would be great
Backlapping with the chain is no harder on it than cutting with the chain.
You want light contact, no need to make it tight against the knife. The grit in the compound needs something to work against but not overdone. 80 should be fine to start if you have not done it before and its pretty dull. 120 or 180 will be a finer finish but slower to remove material. Just like sand paper.

NClawnnut78

Post by NClawnnut78 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 pm

OK tru-cut service guys and owners need help with this one.
every time I try to cut paper I cant.(well I can in a small area.) if I get the reel as level and as close as i can get there is a slight gap note card will not cut but turn the reel.
Here is video of the reel loose and tight.
loose:
tight:

paper cut range....loose: inside the magnets

papercut range tight: inside the magnets

This reel was sharpened this last off season will backlapping even the blade or will i need to grind it level again?

this is really got me scratching my head...should i make it tighter? is that acceptable?

let me know thanks..

Evoeric
Grass Type: Bermuda TIftuff
Lawn Size: 6000 sqft
Mower: Tru Cut P20

Post by Evoeric » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Hey Guys,

New to grass care and lawn mowers. I recently had about 6000 sqft of Bermuda Tiff-tuff installed and found a push reel wasn't going to cut it (literally and figuratively). I found a two year old Tru Cut P20 mower locally for sale picked up for $300, seemed in good condition from what I researched. Tires and overall look of the mower was in good shape, reel blade and bed knife looked in decent shape, chains all have decent tension, first pull start lit the Honda GX120 engine right up. Pulled the reel lever and blades turned right on no sort of grinding or odd sounds, same with the drive lever so I thought it was a great buy.

Fast forward two more days come Saturday, turn the mower on lit right up. Start to mow and get about one run across the grass and the engine starts seemingly to choke out and die. Go to start again and lit back up, get about half way into a pass and dies again. Mower sitting idle runs no issues, when the reel is engaged it runs ok, running both the reel and drive at the same time on the turf it dies instantly. Come next day empty gas out and put premium 91 into the mower same behavior, I can walk the mower down the grade really slow and it may make it pass or may die.

I stopped check the oil, looks brand new so I started to search for what the issue could be which leads me here. I have replaced the carb with a brand new OEM Honda carb and no change in behavior. I just replaced tonight the spark plug and haven't had a chance to run it yet but wanted to see if any one has had similar experiences.

My turf is on a medium grade, grass has grown to about 2.5 to 3.6 inches in some areas since I simply cant keep up with the push reel mower (grass is so dense it just binds up).

Any help is appreciated.

Eric

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: TruCut C27/John Deere 220B

Post by Spammage » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 pm

@Evoeric does the engine idle smoothly? If it does, and is only dying when on a slope, it is probably the oil shut-off switch. I always overfill my hondas a little bit by raising the front of the mower just a tad while filling.