PGR NEED SOME CLARITY

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
JRS 9572
Grass Type: TifGrand
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: McLean 20" Reel

PGR NEED SOME CLARITY

Post by JRS 9572 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 am

I can't tell you how valuable the PGR thread is in here. I have learned a lot. Thanks to @ware and others that have directed folks to specific threads such as this.

My only issue is that after 30 some odd pages of posts, replies, and so on I need some clarity on the subject.

Ok so here's where I am hoping I can be steered in the right direction:

TifGrand bermuda yard 7,700 square feet.

We've had a long mild spring with 4 weeks of no rain until Noah Built the Ark a week ago and received over 7" of rain.

It's about time for me to verticut again.

It's also time to put down another dose of Milorganite.

I have the jug of T-Nex. I have the pull behind sprayer from Northern Tool.

The T-Nex instructions says for "other hybrids" .25 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Reading the thread I am thinking .125 ounces per 1,000 square feet.

Taking all this into account above:

Does verticutting, and putting down fertilizer effect when I should put down PGR? I assume I would do verticutting and fertilizer 1st. Water the Milo in so to speak. Then how long should I wait before putting down PGR?

Then I see folks talking about waiting until a certain amount of growing degree days. Then talking about the greenskeepers app. Tried to download it, and it wouldn't let me. Can anyone walk me through on how I know if growing degree is right?

I know this is a lot. I know there's a huge thread. There's a reason it took me 6 years to get a college degree. :lol: I'm slow on the uptake, but once I get there I'm good to go. I appreciate any help that can be offered.
"That yard is how he works out stress and frustration. What it costs to maintain the yard is a lot cheaper than therapy with a shrink." My wife

JTCJC
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Re: PGR NEED SOME CLARITY

Post by JTCJC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am

I just put down 32-0-8 and Ironite on my Tif 419 on June 4th. Applied 0.38oz/1000sqft of T-Nex on June 9th with 0.6oz/1000sqft of liquid chelated iron. The Bermuda looks great, very green, no signs of stress, and I can already tell the PGR is working cause I have not had to mow in 5 days! Usually I have to mow every 3 days to keep the 5/8" cut looking good.

The green keeper app is a website, not an app for your phone, greenkeeperapp.com Its a little confusing at first but once you learn to add "course" with location, your products (I used Primo Maxx from the existing products) with application rates, then add "new app" (product application) with when you applied it it gets easier. Once you add your first application it will calculate and display your GDD on the home screen.

walk1355
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 9500sf
Mower: JD 260SL & honda hrx rotary

Post by walk1355 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am

I'll help where I can.

1. The Greenkeepers app isn't an app on your phone. It's just a website. https://www.greenkeeperapp.com/marketing/# is the link. Growing degree days, referred to GDD going forward, isn't something you need to try and figure out, let the greenkeeper app do that for you. As far as the details behind it, here is what I know. When you apply your PGR, you make an entry into the greenkeeper app of how much you applied and on the date you applied it. The greenkeeper app knows where you live and keeps up with the local weather data, including temperature. The hotter it is, the quicker PGR wears off, the cooler it is, the longer PGR lasts. It uses an algorithm to let you know how long your application should be effective, helping you gauge when you need to apply more PGR. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than I could figure out on my own. For example, my first PGR app was good for about 25 days in early may. The 2nd PGR app this year was only good for 14 days because we hit a very hot spell. The 3rd PGR app I applied on Monday shows it should be good for about 5 weeks (I doubled the dose and it has been cooler here these last several days...I doubled my dose because I felt comfortable doing so and wanted to see what it would do, a risk I was willing to take. I applied .5 ounces per 1ksf instead of .25 ounces per 1ksf). It also is dynamic, meaning it adjusts how long it thinks your PGR will last based on what the weather has been doing. It was cool this week, so it shows my current dose will last longer becuase it's been cool, but as soon as it heats back up, the date will change and shorten the length of what it thinks my application will be effective for.

2. Why would you put half of the labeled dosage?

3. I am applying FEature at about 1.5 oz/1ksf this year with every PGR application and I have liked the results. Last year, I would see some slight browning of my grass. This year, I haven't noticed it and I attributed that to the FEature being applied along with the PGR. https://www.epesthero.com/products/feat ... onutrients

4. The PGR label will tell you how long you should wait after raining/watering/cutting/etc before or after you can apply it. I can't advise you on how long to wait after or before verticutting. I'm sure others will have input on that.

5. As far as after applying fertilizer, it doesn't matter. You can apply fertilizer at any time, it's the water that matters. You just want the grass to be relatively dry before applying PGR and you want to allow a couple of hours for the PGR to dry on the leaves of the grass. So don't water immediately before or after your PGR app, as it needs time to absorb into the leaves of the grass.

JRS 9572
Grass Type: TifGrand
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: McLean 20" Reel

Post by JRS 9572 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 pm

@walk1355 in one of the threads on here. A few folks suggested on the 1st application only going 1/2 of the recommended dose. This is my 1st application, and that was the reason I said that.
"That yard is how he works out stress and frustration. What it costs to maintain the yard is a lot cheaper than therapy with a shrink." My wife

walk1355
TLF Supporter

Post by walk1355 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 pm

JRS 9572 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 pm
walk1355 in one of the threads on here. A few folks suggested on the 1st application only going 1/2 of the recommended dose. This is my 1st application, and that was the reason I said that.
Tennnnnnnnnn 4 good buddy. Makes sense now.

ZachUA
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro Turfmaster, JD 220SL

Post by ZachUA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm

walk1355 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am
I'll help where I can.

1. The Greenkeepers app isn't an app on your phone. It's just a website. https://www.greenkeeperapp.com/marketing/# is the link. Growing degree days, referred to GDD going forward, isn't something you need to try and figure out, let the greenkeeper app do that for you. As far as the details behind it, here is what I know. When you apply your PGR, you make an entry into the greenkeeper app of how much you applied and on the date you applied it. The greenkeeper app knows where you live and keeps up with the local weather data, including temperature. The hotter it is, the quicker PGR wears off, the cooler it is, the longer PGR lasts. It uses an algorithm to let you know how long your application should be effective, helping you gauge when you need to apply more PGR. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than I could figure out on my own. For example, my first PGR app was good for about 25 days in early may. The 2nd PGR app this year was only good for 14 days because we hit a very hot spell. The 3rd PGR app I applied on Monday shows it should be good for about 5 weeks (I doubled the dose and it has been cooler here these last several days...I doubled my dose because I felt comfortable doing so and wanted to see what it would do, a risk I was willing to take. I applied .5 ounces per 1ksf instead of .25 ounces per 1ksf). It also is dynamic, meaning it adjusts how long it thinks your PGR will last based on what the weather has been doing. It was cool this week, so it shows my current dose will last longer becuase it's been cool, but as soon as it heats back up, the date will change and shorten the length of what it thinks my application will be effective for.

3. I am applying FEature at about 1.5 oz/1ksf this year with every PGR application and I have liked the results. Last year, I would see some slight browning of my grass. This year, I haven't noticed it and I attributed that to the FEature being applied along with the PGR. https://www.epesthero.com/products/feat ... onutrients

4. The PGR label will tell you how long you should wait after raining/watering/cutting/etc before or after you can apply it. I can't advise you on how long to wait after or before verticutting. I'm sure others will have input on that.

5. As far as after applying fertilizer, it doesn't matter. You can apply fertilizer at any time, it's the water that matters. You just want the grass to be relatively dry before applying PGR and you want to allow a couple of hours for the PGR to dry on the leaves of the grass. So don't water immediately before or after your PGR app, as it needs time to absorb into the leaves of the grass.
Excellent info thank you for posting!

I have the chapin 24v backpack sprayer. If I use the greenskeeperapp and enter that sprayer into the system, would the following settings be correct (I want to spray 9k sq/ft of bermuda w PGR):

Sprayer Name: Chapin
Capacity: 4
Capacity Unit: Gallons
Spray Volume: 1
Volume Unit: Gallons per 1000 Square Feet

JTCJC
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Post by JTCJC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:22 pm

ZachUA wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm
walk1355 wrote:
I'll help where I can.

I have the chapin 24v backpack sprayer. If I use the greenskeeperapp and enter that sprayer into the system, would the following settings be correct (I want to spray 9k sq/ft of bermuda w PGR):

That's how I set mine up. :thumbup:

walk1355
TLF Supporter

Post by walk1355 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:45 pm

ZachUA wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm
walk1355 wrote:
I'll help where I can.

that is what I did as well. I don't get hung up on putting exactly 1 gallon down on 1ksft. What I did was figure out how much water it takes me to spray my front yard and my back yard and I split my app up that way. I spray about .6 or so gallons per 1ksft with my walking speed and current set up. I know that may go against best practices, so I'm not saying to do it that way, but it's what I do and I have always had good results.