Bermuda pitching and chipping area

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
badolds
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 400 square feet
Mower: Exmark

Bermuda pitching and chipping area

Post by badolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello all, first post here. I just finished reading the Bermuda Bible: The New Testament and that answered a lot of questions that I had. I want to start at thread about my project and hopefully do it right the first time. I practice golf in the yard behind my shop which has a mix of st. augustine and whatever grows naturally in the Houston Texas area. The st. augustine is too thick for golf and the other stuff is too thin and sparse. I want to build a 400 square foot area with grass like you would find in a lush fairway.

The picture above shows the current state of my project. I have a 20 x 20 area that has been covered in clear plastic for seven days in the Texas sun. It is all brown and starting to smell like decaying grass. I am planning to leave it covered for another 10 days or so to completely kill what is underneath. I do not have a game plan yet for the next steps so that is the reason for my post.

My most immediate concern is to level the area. In my limited research I learned not to till the soil but I need to fill in some ruts that are 3 - 4 inches deep. I think this is too deep for sand so what kind of soil should I add to the top? It is only 20x20 so I would probably buy soil in bags at HD or Lowes for convenience. I am not going to raise the area much but I am thinking about an inch on top of the whole area and that will fill the ruts and holes nicely. Something that has a lot of sand to make leveling easier and will promote good growth.

Grass seed? I am wanting something that will look and play like a nice fairway but will grow and survive in the Houston heat. I believe that most of the golf courses in the Texas gulf coast region use bermuda but I do not have a preference as long as it plays like a golf fairway. Can you recommend a variety I should try?

I want to put a barrier between the existing lawn and my golf patch. Should I use metal or plastic edging to keep weeds from invading?

Is there an online guide for a project like this?

This area sees sun almost all day and I can leave the hose and sprinkler laying out to make this project easier. I have done some research on this but it is hard to find anything golf specific or local to Houston. I will start with a rotary mower but I will eventually get a greens mower. I own and operate a lawn equipment dealership so finding a fixer upper should not be a problem later on.

I want to do all of the work myself and keep the budget low. If this does not work out it will just be a giant hole in my yard, not my wallet HA!!

Dan

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Bermuda pitching and chipping area

Post by SCGrassMan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Good bermuda doesn’t come from seed. 20x20 is a little less than a pallet. A pallet of good Bermuda should be around $275 delivered, give or take delivery.
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338

badolds

Post by badolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

SCGrassMan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Good bermuda doesn’t come from seed. 20x20 is a little less than a pallet. A pallet of good Bermuda should be around $275 delivered, give or take delivery.
That is not too expensive and would make life easier for sure. Is there a variety you would recommend?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Tifgrand is a good grass. Takes a low mow very well. I know you read the Bermuda Bible. Tifgrand performs well at 0.25-0.5 lb of N per month not a full LB. Give it 1 lb of N per month and that becomes the grass that needs constant verticutting

erdons
Grass Type: Tifsport & Tifgreen
Lawn Size: 1800 Sq ft
Mower: McLane Reel Mower

Post by erdons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm

See if you can find tifgreen or tifgrand Bermuda sod. I have a putting green project going since last year, what I did I sprayed multiple times with glyphosate then After it was all dead I dug out about 6 inches of old sod/dirt and filled It all with sand and leveled it. Up to you if you want to go that far or just lay down the sod and go from there...
Last edited by erdons on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

badolds

Post by badolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 pm

erdons wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm
See if you can find tifgreen or tifgrand Bermuda sod. I have a putting green project going since last year, what I did I sprayed multiple times with glyphosate then After it was all dead I dug out about 6 inches of old sod/dirt and filled It all with sand and leveled it. Up to you if you want to go that far or just lay down the sod and go from there...
Okay I admit that I have no Idea what I am doing here but you are saying that your grass is on top of six inches of sand? no soil? did you seed or sod?

My ultimate goal is to have a puttable surface but that would be later and I knew the naysayers would have a field day if I said I was building a putting green. This is the first step but a green about twenty five yards from this area that could hold pitches and in my dreams be a putting surface is the next step.

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 pm

badolds wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 pm
erdons wrote:
Okay I admit that I have no Idea what I am doing here but you are saying that your grass is on top of six inches of sand? no soil? did you seed or sod?

My ultimate goal is to have a puttable surface but that would be later and I knew the naysayers would have a field day if I said I was building a putting green. This is the first step but a green about twenty five yards from this area that could hold pitches and in my dreams be a putting surface is the next step.
No naysayers here. You’d be surprised how many people on here have contemplated the exact same thing. Best of luck.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

erdons

Post by erdons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:34 pm

badolds wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 pm
erdons wrote:

Yes, directly on top of sand, after i filled with sand and leveled I applied some 15-15-15 fertilizer and watered it in. I used sod (sprigged and let it spread) however buying a pallet and laying it all down in 1 shot would be ideal. From what I know a lot of golf courses build their putting greens with 8-10 inches of sand as a base so I figured why not replicate that process on a smaller scale.

This is what it currently looks like, we’ve had an unusually cold spring in California so it probably won’t fully grow in until july sometime.

Last edited by erdons on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erdons

Post by erdons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm

This was last August.

badolds

Post by badolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Yes, directly on top of sand, after i filled with sand and leveled I applied some 15-15-15 fertilizer and watered it in. I used sod (sprigged and let it spread) however buying a pallet and laying it all down in 1 shot would be ideal. From what I know a lot of golf courses build their putting greens with 8-10 inches of sand as a base so I figured why not replicate that process on a smaller scale.

This is what it currently looks like, we’ve had an unusually cold spring in California so it probably won’t fully grow in until july sometime.

[/quote]

Your green looks fantastic!! Do you think a couple inches of sand on top of whats left under my plastic would be sufficient to lay the sod on?

erdons

Post by erdons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 pm

badolds wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Your green looks fantastic!! Do you think a couple inches of sand on top of whats left under my plastic would be sufficient to lay the sod on?
[/quote]

You probably could however I would try to apply some glyphosate/roundup on that area to make sure you get a good kill, as soon as that area gets sun/water etc that old grass/weeds etc are going to bounce back and invade any new sod you plant there.
Last edited by erdons on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp2878
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: centipede/converting to TifTuf
Lawn Size: 17,000 sqft
Mower: Tru-Cut C25, JD 220b

Post by bp2878 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I need this too, short game is horrendous!

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm

bp2878 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 pm
I need this too, short game is horrendous!
My baseball background kicked in and I was expecting a mound for someone’s son to practice pitching. :lol:
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Gibby
Grass Type: Tifblair Centipede
Lawn Size: 10,000sq/ft
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by Gibby » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm

See if you can find Tahoma 31 sod.

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Toro GM1600