Fire Pits!

How you relax when the work is done
Khs2424
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: Push

Re: Fire Pits!

Post by Khs2424 »

Not exactly a fire pit but, this is where we spend most of our Saturdays in the fall.

Roll Tide!!

FlowRider
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider »

mtroo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 am

Handsome dog.
Many thanks!

He was a fox red American Kennel Club lab, English breed.

They have broader heads and more muscular jaws.

Some people used to think he was a pit bull, his head and mouth were so broad. People who know dogs always wanted to pet him.

He was a great swimmer and an even greater hunter. Very protective of my wife and great watchdog. 110 pound fur missile. No fear.

The only animal he never took on full force was a full grown bull elk.

He stood between us and the bull elk, body sideways to show his size. He would not make eye contact with the bull elk, he just protected us.

The bull elk slowly walked away, and so did we. A Kodak moment.

We miss him, but he had a great life.

Best dog in the whole world, he was.
I can grow weeds with the best of them...! :bd:

RUBZERK
Grass Type: Not sure. Ugly
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Cubcadet

Post by RUBZERK »

No fire pit, but I have a huge fireplace on the deck.

DiggingHoles
Grass Type: PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by DiggingHoles »

I’ve got a couple fire pits. The one on the deck runs off natural gas. It’s easy, clean burning and gets used the most.

My favorite is our wood burning fire pit. I built it on the patio, using concrete blocks from Lowe’s. Added a 6” layer of sand and lava rock to help protect the concrete from spalling and am using a Breeo Zentro smokeless insert. https://breeo.co/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybn ... gLY2_D_BwE

For the nights we have the time to relax outside for a couple hours, nothing beats the smell and sound of a wood burning fire. The heat output is far higher which is nice on cool fall evenings and roasting marshmallows and cooking over the open pit is a lot of fun.

mattcoughlin
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by mattcoughlin »

DiggingHoles wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:13 am
I’ve got a couple fire pits. The one on the deck runs off natural gas. It’s easy, clean burning and gets used the most.

My favorite is our wood burning fire pit. I built it on the patio, using concrete blocks from Lowe’s. Added a 6” layer of sand and lava rock to help protect the concrete from spalling and am using a Breeo Zentro smokeless insert. https://breeo.co/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybn ... gLY2_D_BwE

For the nights we have the time to relax outside for a couple hours, nothing beats the smell and sound of a wood burning fire. The heat output is far higher which is nice on cool fall evenings and roasting marshmallows and cooking over the open pit is a lot of fun.

How well does the smokeless insert work? I love sitting by a camp fire but my wife isn't a big fan of needing to shower after to get the smell out of her hair. The problem is i would have to build a new smaller fire pit to fit one and i'm not sure if it's worth the work.

polofitted007
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: John Deere SB14 & Scott's 62v

Post by polofitted007 »

Khs2424 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:18 am

Not exactly a fire pit but, this is where we spend most of our Saturdays in the fall.

Roll Tide!!
What a Beauty!

DiggingHoles

Post by DiggingHoles »

mattcoughlin wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm
DiggingHoles wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:13 am

How well does the smokeless insert work? I love sitting by a camp fire but my wife isn't a big fan of needing to shower after to get the smell out of her hair. The problem is i would have to build a new smaller fire pit to fit one and i'm not sure if it's worth the work.
I’d say it’s “good” at reducing the smoke. My wife had the same issue not wanting to smell like smoke. It takes 15 minutes or so to get hot and stop smoking before the reburn gets going. It does reduce the smoke and never have to move seats because of smoke but I still shower afterwards. Kind of have that smokey scent like you went to a restaurant but not strong like a campfire. I wouldn’t say you have no smell but the way we use it, I’m usually wanting to shower after anyways because of being out working or using bug spray, etc.

daniel3507
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1800sq ft
Mower: Rotary

Post by daniel3507 »

@DiggingHoles do you notice a difference in radiant heat output compared to a more traditional fire pit? I've been looking at another "smokeless" system that works the same called Solo Stove. One thing I've read though is that these systems don't put out as much heat.

DiggingHoles

Post by DiggingHoles »

daniel3507 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm
@DiggingHoles do you notice a difference in radiant heat output compared to a more traditional fire pit? I've been looking at another "smokeless" system that works the same called Solo Stove. One thing I've read though is that these systems don't put out as much heat.
It has the double wall so I’d guess there is a possibility of less radiant heat horizontally but I wouldn’t say it’s noticeable. The fire overall is supposed to burn hotter due to the reburn effect. Plenty of heat for my 12’ patio. I can put my feet on the concrete blocks but the metal insert on top will boil water.

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

I built this one a couple of years ago. It's 6' wide and makes a really handy place to burn any debris around the yard.

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

SWB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:50 am
I built this one a couple of years ago. It's 6' wide and makes a really handy place to burn any debris around the yard.

That is nice!

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

Ware wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:30 am
SWB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:50 am

That is nice!
Thanks Ware. Most of the time the fires are small and I joke with my wife that we have the only "walk-in" fire pit around. Several times though we've had it so hot you can sit next to it in 20 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt.