Fusebox7 Forever Home Lawn Digest

Cool season member lawn journals
fusebox7
Grass Type: Nomix (for now :)
Lawn Size: 27k sq ft
Mower: Tru-Cut H20 Honda HRX217HYA

Fusebox7 Forever Home Lawn Digest

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:57 am

Well, we are mostly moved into our "forever home" so it's time to get to work on documenting the current state of the lawn and property as well as give high level plans for this year... and I'll start formulating plans for next year as we head into fall/winter. So, I've decided to close down the old home's KBG Lawn Log Journal and start anew with this tremendous new opportunity!

On Sunday, July 7th, I dewinterized the irrigation and started toying with the Hunter Pro-C 16-zone controller. 12 zones were set up and zone 6 was "inactive". I started going through the zones manually to check where the irrigation heads were located and the condition that they were in. Holy coverage, Batman! I'm going to enjoy this setup --- there are roughly 3 sets of 4 heads per area of the yard (eg. front, middle, back) that all have head to head coverage (or will once I make some slight adjustments to heads/screws). I did find 2 or 3 heads/lines that need quick replacement due to breakage. That is what I'm hoping to tackle today. I need to water badly as we've had HEAT like I cannot remember. Goal is to give the lawn a supersoak tonight. The west part of the yard is very open and takes a beating.

On Monday, July 8th, I mowed for the first time using my Honda HRX. Deck setting at 3" and full rear discharge it took a full tank of gas and roughly 1 hr 30 mins. It was hot and quite the workout but boy did I enjoy it! I might continue to use the push mower and see if I REALLY need to upgrade to a rider. If I end up running out of gas before I finish the mow that will be one reason to upgrade. I don't mind the effort as that's my "me time".

Overall, the lawn is in very good shape, surprisingly. I am guessing the previous owners put a pre-m down on the lawn this spring; possibly a fertilizer application. It is a 4-way no-mix currently with different species dominating where they thrive best (KBG, PRG, FF, TTTF). I believe most of the browning I am seeing currently is the PRG seed stalks that I am familiar with seeing this time of year. The main goal for this year is to learn the irrigation setup really well and make tweaks to that as necessary in preps for something big next year, perhaps :D I will be doing an aggressive N regimen this fall to see what I can get out of this lawn, as I think it may be able to exceed expectations and /could/ postpone any major plans... we'll see.

The only other plan I have for this year is to design and plan my low voltage landscape lighting. The landscaping here was well thought-out so I want to highlight the pathways and some of the accent plants. More to come on that as well.

Time to jump back in!

Pics suck because windows/screens but here's a couple shots of the back and side yards:

Last edited by fusebox7 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

iowa jim
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Fusebox7 Forever Home Lawn Digest

Post by iowa jim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:10 am

I smell a reno in the future?

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched front, NoMix back
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: JD 220E, Yard Machines

Post by SNOWBOB11 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 am

Going to enjoy following along. :thumbup:

Alex1389
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue/KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by Alex1389 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Great foundation to start from it seems. But we all know you're going to reno it :D

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am

@Alex1389 @SNOWBOB11 @iowa jim

I know what I end up doing is going to be different and interesting. Cliffhanger...

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 am

Oh the suspense........

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm

@Wolverine :nod:

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG (2017 Reno)
Lawn Size: 38k sq ft
Mower: John Deere 2500B & X590

Post by Pete1313 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Subscribed. Dont forget to update your lawn size and grass type in your profile. It will be fun following along with the progress you make to the new property! Sounds like a good irrigation system and is an extra bonus that came with the home.
"The bluegrass of Kentucky. You don't notice no difference, that's because you don't have the eye!" - 29th Street

JDgreen18
Grass Type: Front Northern mix back KBG
Lawn Size: 30000 SF
Mower: JD1025tlb, 130L Torosuper recy

Post by JDgreen18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 pm

I will be following as well...
Hogans par 5 mix & northern mix in the front...Hogans kbg mix in the back

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 pm

@Pete1313 updated! Thx for the reminder. @JDgreen18 thx for following. First full irrigation starts at 1:00 am... we'll see how that goes :)

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 pm

@fusebox7, don't tell me you're considering converting from a solid Northern mix to some obscure grass species!
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm

@Green Absolutely... heh. Poa sibirica obscure enough?

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

@Green on a serious note, whoever took care of this lawn did a pretty good job -- I visually checked the soil and it's actually really really nice and there are some extremely deep roots (had to dig up some 6 inch risers). It's a very nice no-mix - the TTTF being the nicest of the 4 (say what!?). In a close 2nd are poa triv and annua var. reptans... DUN DUN! :mrgreen:

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm
@Green on a serious note, whoever took care of this lawn did a pretty good job -- I visually checked the soil and it's actually really really nice and there are some extremely deep roots (had to dig up some 6 inch risers). It's a very nice no-mix - the TTTF being the nicest of the 4 (say what!?). In a close 2nd are poa triv and annua var. reptans... DUN DUN! :mrgreen:
Poa Triv is your second nicest grass? I think the "say what" should have been after those, not after TTTF.

In my view, some of the big reasons a 4-way no-mix would have a good amount of brown right now (guess what...mine is brownish in many places right now, due to heat, and so is the TTTF/KBG area to some degree, too) are:

1. Fungus (all grass types being susceptible to something this time of year). I currently have some amount of Red Thread, Dollar Spot, Rust, Brown Patch, and probably some Leaf Spot and others all happening at the same time!

2. Heat/drought stress (FF going quite brown most readily, and even TTTF going partly brown, PR more readily, and KBG somewhere in between). This is a big one. I'm not sure how it's been in MI, but it's been around 90 more days than not the past few weeks here...and often sunny. I water a half inch, and the grass dries out later that day.

3. The aforementioned seed stalks (the grass is actually still trying to grow seeds to some extent right now, mostly PR and TTTF at this point).

4. You could have insect stuff going on...definitely keep an eye out for previous grub damage, etc. I had this small area that was going brown for no apparent reason. Poking a screwdriver didn't reveal anything hard beyond some roots. But Carpenter Ants surfaced each time I did that! Since it was under a tree, and I didn't want the tree damaged, I put one of those ant bait stakes right in the area a couple of weeks ago. Guess what...now the grass is starting to green again. I'm not sure what they were doing to the roots...
Last edited by Green on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm
@Green Absolutely... heh. Poa sibirica obscure enough?
What the...?! And I was hung up on Poa anceps in the Spring...

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Mowed HOD @ 3".

Catch cups showed very consistent results at first watering last night. 30 mins per zone showed nominal variation centered at or just under 0.25" water delivery. No wonder the no-mix in the full sun (literally FULL sunrise-to-sunset) is browning. The quarter-inch delivery last night seems to have helped some areas already but it needs a full soaking next time around. I am going to need to split that part of the yard into its own watering day since it will need to be quadrupled to get the inch delivery mark. That will be a total of 6 hours of irrigation for just that part of the yard. It's roughly 11k sq ft.
Last edited by fusebox7 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Many of my zones require roughly 120 min. For an inch of water. Nothing out of the ordinary.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 am

The TTTF in my nomix is doing so well with this heat. It's my first experience with the species. I may experiment with it more. Unsure if its tolerance to our winters but if it does well it sure would make a nice lawn since a lot of the cultivars can be mown between 0.5-3.0" nowadays.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:15 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 am
The TTTF in my nomix is doing so well with this heat. It's my first experience with the species. I may experiment with it more. Unsure if its tolerance to our winters but if it does well it sure would make a nice lawn since a lot of the cultivars can be mown between 0.5-3.0" nowadays.
Works just fine here...Winter, Summer, etc. Your weather can't be that much different. It is the most prone to snow mold of any species and tends to mat down and fuse together after Winter, but you do the light raking thing you normally do in Spring, and it's fine afterward. It's a lot more persistent than its close relative, PR. I swear, TTTF/KBG mixes are the overall best grass type for my area, and they're very underutilized (less than 30% of homes seem to have Tall Fescue as a significant component of their lawn mixes here).

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 am

@Green I never see it here but whatever is in this new yard is in its happy place. It's extremely dark, soft, and very thick. It's neat to see density like that at 3+ inches.

Just observing for 2019... But I can see how KBG+TTTF would be beautiful. I'm going to start looking for low cut TTTF lawns and see what turns up.