Burnt Lawn

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
canyoncove
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 ft²
Mower: Honda HRR Rear Wheel Drive

Burnt Lawn

Post by canyoncove » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am

So I put down some Uflexx 46-0-0 at 1 lb/k on June 6th, and put down another application 2 days ago and I think I burnt my lawn. Any suggestions? Is my lawn toast for the rest of the summer?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: Burnt Lawn

Post by Redtwin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 am

I think it will be fine. Just keep watering it and it should grow out quickly.

BermudaBoy
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Greenworks Twin Force 40V

Post by BermudaBoy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:18 pm

I've done worse. My first year in my house I had a bit of weed problem. In my frustration, in the middle of a heat spell, I blanketed my lawn with some off the shelf weed killer. The weeds didn't die but my lawn got toasted. Luckily it rained the entire following week and resuscitated my lawn before my wife could realize what I had done.
The grass is not greener on the other side.

lucas287
Grass Type: Tifsport & Celebration
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer RL20

Post by lucas287 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm

^ what they said! ^

You're experiencing more grief than the bermuda. Seriously, i've learned so much about the darn thing in the last year. You can't kill it!

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am

BermudaBoy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:18 pm
I've done worse. My first year in my house I had a bit of weed problem. In my frustration, in the middle of a heat spell, I blanketed my lawn with some off the shelf weed killer. The weeds didn't die but my lawn got toasted. Luckily it rained the entire following week and resuscitated my lawn before my wife could realize what I had done.
Thanks for the encouragement.. I'm about to toss in the towel. Second year on this lawn.. and I can't get it right. It's always around July August when everything starts to fall apart from either disease, or lawn burn, or just lack of water.

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am

lucas287 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm
^ what they said! ^

You're experiencing more grief than the bermuda. Seriously, i've learned so much about the darn thing in the last year. You can't kill it!
yeah.. I hear ya.. I wasn't really worried about killing it. I know how hardy a lawn it is.. but I can't get it to look even and green. I think I'm just too hard on myself.

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am

Luckily it was a monsoon last night here in North GA.. We literally got 4" of rain overnight.

lucas287

Post by lucas287 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am

canyoncove wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am
lucas287 wrote:
^ what they said! ^

yeah.. I hear ya.. I wasn't really worried about killing it. I know how hardy a lawn it is.. but I can't get it to look even and green. I think I'm just too hard on myself.
Don't beat yourself up!

46-0-0 granular is really hard to spread evenly making it easy to burn. It's also dissolves easily and quickly which means by the time you spread and get the water on it's possibly already burnt. Especially if there is a morning dew. You might want to try to spraying it - aka foliar application. @Mightyquinn has a big thread on it. You get even coverage and limit your likelihood of burning.

lucas287

Post by lucas287 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:20 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1969

A big thread but great info!

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 am

lucas287 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am
canyoncove wrote:
lucas287 wrote:
^ what they said! ^

Don't beat yourself up!

46-0-0 granular is really hard to spread evenly making it easy to burn. It's also dissolves easily and quickly which means by the time you spread and get the water on it's possibly already burnt. Especially if there is a morning dew. You might want to try to spraying it - aka foliar application. @Mightyquinn has a big thread on it. You get even coverage and limit your likelihood of burning.
Man you aren't kidding. The Uflexx is bright blue granular and is easy to see.. and it was GONE by morning. Completely melted. I do have a foliar called Super Juice.. its a 14-2-4, but can be put down at a 7-1-2 ratio... I'll check out the thread.. THANKS!!!!

ktgrok
Grass Type: weeds
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: Briggs Stratton 21 inch rotary

Post by ktgrok » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

lucas287 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am
canyoncove wrote:
lucas287 wrote:
^ what they said! ^

Don't beat yourself up!

Oh, good point! Something that is less concentrated would be much easier, plenty of products that are more like 20% N instead of over 40.

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

I know I’m opening another can of worms, but does anybody use Milorganite?

Or another Organic like Anderson’s?

lucas287

Post by lucas287 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm

canyoncove wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am
I know I’m opening another can of worms, but does anybody use Milorganite?

Or another Organic like Anderson’s?
Ha. I laugh because Milo has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum :lol: use the search feature under Warm Season Lawns and you'll find lots and lots of info on it. Long and the short, it's a house divided. Some swear by and love it, others, eh, just think it stinks. Literally.

lucas287

Post by lucas287 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

ktgrok wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

Oh, good point! Something that is less concentrated would be much easier, plenty of products that are more like 20% N instead of over 40.
:thumbup: like ammonium sulfate 21-0-0
Last edited by lucas287 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BermudaBoy

Post by BermudaBoy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

canyoncove wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am
BermudaBoy wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement.. I'm about to toss in the towel. Second year on this lawn.. and I can't get it right. It's always around July August when everything starts to fall apart from either disease, or lawn burn, or just lack of water.
There’s no need to give up now. This is my fourth year with my lawn and it’s only been in the last 6 weeks that it’s done right. The first three years I had a lawn care service, who was excellent, maintain my lawn with a full service plan but no matter what he did my grass kept thinning out in my front. Due to financial constraints I had to take over my lawn care this year and up until late May I hated coming home to my dying lawn. I was embarrassed to have one of the worst lawns in my neighborhood, especially since I was one of the few people that gave a damn about lawn care. Finally I got my game plan and turned things around.

I first worked on improving my soil health by putting down 400 pounds of Black Cow. Then I put down some Princess 77 to fill in the bare spots. A week after I put down my seed I put a double app of Milorganite for starter fertilizer and followed up with a medium app of Carbon X. I increased my irrigation to less frequent but longer watering. Every other week I follow up with an app of Liquid Lawn. I’m not sure if that helps but I still have some so I’ll use it until I’m out.

The beginning of July I put down another app of Milo and a light app of Carbon X and some Humic Acid. My bare spots haven’t completely filled in but I’d say they’re about 80% filled in. My neighbors yards are burning out and thinning like my hair did 15 years ago but my front is dense and green and growing like crazy. The Princess 77 was a waste. By trying to get it to grow I ended up pushing my Tifway and in all but a couple of spots it has overtaken the Princess.

I lurked around here for a while before joining and took a few tips that helped. Just don’t give up. Bermuda is tough and it can bounce back from near death with the right game plan.

The first pic is from June 1 and the bottom is from this morning. It’s nothing like some of the lawns I see on here but in 6 weeks it’s come quite a way.

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:38 pm

BermudaBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm
canyoncove wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am
BermudaBoy wrote:
There’s no need to give up now. This is my fourth year with my lawn and it’s only been in the last 6 weeks that it’s done right. The first three years I had a lawn care service, who was excellent, maintain my lawn with a full service plan but no matter what he did my grass kept thinning out in my front. Due to financial constraints I had to take over my lawn care this year and up until late May I hated coming home to my dying lawn. I was embarrassed to have one of the worst lawns in my neighborhood, especially since I was one of the few people that gave a damn about lawn care. Finally I got my game plan and turned things around.

I first worked on improving my soil health by putting down 400 pounds of Black Cow. Then I put down some Princess 77 to fill in the bare spots. A week after I put down my seed I put a double app of Milorganite for starter fertilizer and followed up with a medium app of Carbon X. I increased my irrigation to less frequent but longer watering. Every other week I follow up with an app of Liquid Lawn. I’m not sure if that helps but I still have some so I’ll use it until I’m out.

The beginning of July I put down another app of Milo and a light app of Carbon X and some Humic Acid. My bare spots haven’t completely filled in but I’d say they’re about 80% filled in. My neighbors yards are burning out and thinning like my hair did 15 years ago but my front is dense and green and growing like crazy. The Princess 77 was a waste. By trying to get it to grow I ended up pushing my Tifway and in all but a couple of spots it has overtaken the Princess.

I lurked around here for a while before joining and took a few tips that helped. Just don’t give up. Bermuda is tough and it can bounce back from near death with the right game plan.

The first pic is from June 1 and the bottom is from this morning. It’s nothing like some of the lawns I see on here but in 6 weeks it’s come quite a way.

You’re right. It is nothing like some of the lawns on here. It’s better because it’s yours. It’s very easy to try to compare our lawns to some of the National Park worthy lawns on here but those people started somewhere too. You have made great improvements to your lawn and that is something to be proud of. I’m sure you no longer dread coming home to your lawn.

@canyoncove just keep putting in the time. There is almost nothing you can do that will ruin your lawn. Ask questions and keep working. It’ll turn the corner before long.
Last edited by TN Hawkeye on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

ktgrok
Grass Type: weeds
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: Briggs Stratton 21 inch rotary

Post by ktgrok » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm

@BermudaBoy that is an AMAZING transformation! And in less than 2 months!!!!!

BermudaBoy

Post by BermudaBoy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm

ktgrok wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm
Thanks. It’s taken a lot of work but it’s become a labor of love. Working in my lawn has become therapeutic.

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:58 am

@BermudaBoy Thanks for the encouragement! .. and awesome job on your lawn!! I'm not giving up.. but I put way more work into my lawn than most people on my street..and the results are mediocre at bets. I got so excited this year thinking my lawn was going to look so much better.. and it isn't.. I spent so much money and time.. Probably more money that it would've been to get a service. The good products are an arm and leg to buy.

I've got light green spots and dark green spots..It almost looks like they put down 2 different kinds of grass.. The only thing is the light green spots always get seed stalks, which from what I've learned is a sign of bad roots/health/growth.. See the pic below. (Don't mind the yellow spots.. I have. a 4 month old puppy)

I used Milo last year.. meh...I had to but like 5 bags of it.. it got everywhere and it smelled.. I don't even care about any of that if it actually made a difference..

I used Lesco 18-24-12 and Andersons Humic Acid in the spring. I'm not sure the humic did anything at all. I was using foliar supplement in between every week or so.. It was starting to look great. Then I used the Uflexx in the 1st week of June and it got really green.. but I still had the different shades..

I bought this stuff called E-Z Wet for my potted plants and some gardening.. It gave instructions to use on compacted soil which is what I have a lot of in the front yard. So I sprayed it and then put down Uflexx last Sunday, and here we are. The back yard didn't really get burned, but I didn't put the E-Z Wet down in the back. So I think the E-Z Wet accelerated the Uflexx so much that it burned. Plus my from yard gets a ton of early to late afternoon scorching sun.. and I live in Georgia.

So in a nut shell I'm not going to touch it til the LATE fall when I have to put down pre-emergent. LUCKILY we've been getting A LOT of rain the past few days...

I watched a video of a guy that laid down a ton of black cow with a compost spreader.. I think I'm going to do that next year after I get the lawn scalped.

Last edited by canyoncove on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

canyoncove

Post by canyoncove » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am

BermudaBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm
ktgrok wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm
Thanks. It’s taken a lot of work but it’s become a labor of love. Working in my lawn has become therapeutic.
That's one of the reasons I work on my lawn and garden all the time. It's good alone time..