Leveling, mower or technique?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
claydus
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: JD220B & Honda HRR

Leveling, mower or technique?

Post by claydus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Ever since I started mowing with my John Deere Reel Mower I have noticed some definitive lines (not so much stripes) in my lawn. Is this more so a leveling (bumps/dips and slopes of property), mower (HOC issue, bent blades, dull bed-knife) or more of a technique problem?

I question my technique due to me only doing 1 pass. If I mow this exact same strip a second pass the lines are not that noticeable. I know I have 3 bent blades on my 11 blade reel but I can't say for sure if this is the issue. It like the edges of the mower/reel left or right this happens. Any input or criticism would be appreciated!

Here is a patch that shows some slope to the sidewalk.

This is area it some what flat but slopes slightly when you get to the sidewalk.
Last edited by claydus on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp2878
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cent mix, reno to Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 17,000 sqft
Mower: X350, C25, 220b

Re: Leveling, mower or technique?

Post by bp2878 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:36 am

Maybe try mowing front to back instead of side to side. And make a HOC gauge/bar and make sure the mower is the same on both sides of the reel. You are probably off a little bit causing the lines.

MeanDean
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6k sqft
Mower: GM1000 & 27'' Tru Cut

Post by MeanDean » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:26 am

My GM1000 does this in my backyard which hasnt been leveled yet but I never see these hard lines in my front which has been fully sanded once and spot treated again this year.

My Tru Cut doesn't do this anywhere in my lawn and a few members here suggested that the weight of the greens mower will show imperfections more until everything is level.

Looks like I'm about to bring in 3 tons for my backyard soon...
Last edited by MeanDean on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

claydus
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: JD220B & Honda HRR

Post by claydus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 am

MeanDean wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:26 am
My GM1000 does this in my backyard which hasnt been leveled yet but I never see these hard lines in my front which has been fully sanded once and spot treated again this year.

My Tru Cut doesn't do this anywhere in my lawn and a few members here suggested that the weight of the greens mower will show imperfections more until everything is level.

Looks like I'm about to bring in 3 tons for my backyard soon...
My back yard is exactly like this... It slopes to one end of the yard toward the fence... Glad to see someone else has this issue... I will be investing in leveling the yard next spring.

MeanDean
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6k sqft
Mower: GM1000 & 27'' Tru Cut

Post by MeanDean » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 am

You can see here that my front lawn doesn't do that because I've leveled it.

Hopefully I can get my backyard just as smooth but it may take more than one application.