NJ Mid-Summer Re-Seed

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Virginiagal
Grass Type: tttf

Re: NJ Mid-Summer Re-Seed

Post by Virginiagal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Read the directions on your Roundup to see what it says about planting after using it. Likely says a day or so. There are different Roundup products; be sure not to get anything with extended control. It will take some time for the weeds to die after spraying but they will die and they shouldn’t interfere with your planting. You should start watering lightly every day now to encourage weed seeds to sprout so you can zap them.

The seed doesn’t need any fertilizer right at first, as it has its energy right inside the seed. Starter fertilizer is fine, especially if you need phosphorus, as it puts phosphorus close to the new roots. The starter fertilizer with Tenacity is very helpful to prevent weeds for the first weeks after planting.

Your watering may need to be adjusted to fit the conditions. You want to keep the seed moist but don’t want runoff or puddling. The peat moss will change color as it dries and that can be a sign to water again. It may take more frequent watering and less time than 5-7 minutes for each watering.

Virginiagal

Post by Virginiagal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 am

I would suggest putting some stepping stones to get to the pool, even if you don’t want them permanently. You will be reseeding this fall (G-man suggested mid August, which is a good time for your area, and if that too fails, you could try again) so later on you can plant where the stones are. The seed you’re getting is predominantly KBG and KBG takes a long time to germinate. Everyone needs to stay off the lawn as much as possible. July is one if the worst times of year to seed but maybe you’ll get enough germination to stabilize the soil. Thunderstorms can be a problem with washouts. What seeding rate is Hogan recommending?

Virginiagal

Post by Virginiagal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:06 am

Just occurred to me that the peat moss might interfere with seed/soil contact when you reseed in mid to late August. Maybe it would be better to use compost or just dirt for a light covering when you plant now. Maybe someone else will chime in.

blazin
Grass Type: KBG,PRG, TF mix
Lawn Size: 2,600 & 3,000
Mower: Lawn Boy

Post by blazin » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:25 am

Virginiagal wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 am
I would suggest putting some stepping stones to get to the pool, even if you don’t want them permanently. You will be reseeding this fall (G-man suggested mid August, which is a good time for your area, and if that too fails, you could try again) so later on you can plant where the stones are. The seed you’re getting is predominantly KBG and KBG takes a long time to germinate. Everyone needs to stay off the lawn as much as possible. July is one if the worst times of year to seed but maybe you’ll get enough germination to stabilize the soil. Thunderstorms can be a problem with washouts. What seeding rate is Hogan recommending?
I was thinking the same thing regarding the stepping stones. I am having 2x2 bluestone stepping stones delivered on tuesday so I can get them in before seeding.

Got my seed from Hogan today. I don't know much about the different cultivars but there are certainly a lot of them!

I ended up picking up some Tenacity at the landscape supply near my work, so I'm going to be spraying that instead of using the scotts starter + weed control before seeding. I was planning to seed next week after this heat wave but it's going to get pushed back a week because my irrigation isn't in and I would rather be sitting in the pool than running irrigation lines in 102 degree heat this weekend.... I also need to have my contractor install the stepping stones before i do the seeding.

SoilSecrets
Grass Type: KBG PR TTTF
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Ego

Post by SoilSecrets » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 pm

I brought JG Black Beauty Ultra and did not use it because I learned later that the bag of seed should state in percentage how much ‘other crop’ is in the bag. Any potential other crop could be some sort of weed. I ended up going with a certified blend with 0% other crop like golf courses use. Go to Superseedstore.com. It’s pricey but worth it for 0% other crop....and peace of mind. Check out Ryan Knorr newest video on YouTube. He is going to test 3 varieties of KBG.

Sfurunner13
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: ~20k
Mower: Honda HRR216VKA/ JD LX 172

Post by Sfurunner13 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 am

Great mix! I think you’ll be very happy with it!
2018 Reno
TTTF ( LS 1200, Cochise IV, Hemi, Hot Rod, Rebounder) + KBG (Bewitched, Nuglade)

blazin

Post by blazin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:15 am

Last weekend I got everything prepped and put the seed down and top dressed with peat moss.

Steps taken were:
Remove rocks/debris
Multiple passes with power rake/split seeder
Spray with simple lawn solutions liquid aerate (still having drainage issues)
Lawn rake for final grade
Spray tenacity
Spread seed ~18 lbs for 3,000 sq ft
spread peat moss

Everything was looking good except for 2 areas where pool drainage causes flooding whenever sprinkers come on. As of yesterday I had pretty good germination in most areas, with other areas looking like they were about to pop.

As luck would have it, we got a huge thunderstorm last night which washed almost all of the peat moss and most of the ungerminated seed off the lawn, over my retaining wall and onto my pool deck/surrounding landscaping.

Now i'm trying to decide what to do next. I am concerned that if I try to re-seed it now I will damage the grass that did germinate and I could have the same thing happen all over again.

I am thinking I should wait a few weeks for the grass thats there to develop to help stabilize the soil to prevent the crazy sheet-slow I had last night and then overseed again and maybe topdress with something that wont get washed away quite so easily.

All suggestions welcomed!

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Post by Babaganoosh » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:02 am

Same thing happened to me last year. It happened the very next day after seeding. You will probably be surprised how much stayed in place. I got bad germination in the highest areas and got a crazy thick turf area where it washed too but overall it came in pretty good. I was actually shocked.

From experience I say to treat it like you would have and keep at the watering schedule. In a few weeks I'd seed the areas that came in poorly. I'm in NJ too and we still have lots of time left to seed.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:12 pm

I see a lot of germinated grass. Those will be fine. Give it a few days to see if any new grass shows up in the other areas. Add more seed and keep watering. Downpour storms are the worst.

blazin

Post by blazin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Babaganoosh wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:02 am
Same thing happened to me last year. It happened the very next day after seeding. You will probably be surprised how much stayed in place. I got bad germination in the highest areas and got a crazy thick turf area where it washed too but overall it came in pretty good. I was actually shocked.

From experience I say to treat it like you would have and keep at the watering schedule. In a few weeks I'd seed the areas that came in poorly. I'm in NJ too and we still have lots of time left to seed.
g-man wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:12 pm
I see a lot of germinated grass. Those will be fine. Give it a few days to see if any new grass shows up in the other areas. Add more seed and keep watering. Downpour storms are the worst.
Thanks for the reassurance. Downpours really are the worst... I’ll keep you posted

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Matter of fact there was an area that you can tell got slit seeded because there was a straight line of germinated grass similar to a corn row. That's how I know that a slit seeder actually works. Everything else washed off the area but some seed that made it into that groove made it and came to life. I had a pic at one point but I can tell remember if I still have it.. I'll look and post it if I find it.

Sfurunner13
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: ~20k
Mower: Honda HRR216VKA/ JD LX 172

Post by Sfurunner13 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 pm

If it makes you feel better I did a TTTF/KBG reno last year and didn’t lay my seed until around September 12. I was super late and it did fine over the winter ( I also had washouts and planted some spots a week or two later as well). You have plenty of time to plant more seed if you need to,
2018 Reno
TTTF ( LS 1200, Cochise IV, Hemi, Hot Rod, Rebounder) + KBG (Bewitched, Nuglade)

blazin

Post by blazin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 pm

Here are some current photos of the lawn. Only a couple areas took well, some are partially filled in and others are totally bare. I gave the lawn .25lb/1000 of nitrogen on Saturday and am planning to seed again this weekend.

The areas that show no seed I am having drainage issues with. I run the sprinklers for 3 minutes and I have puddles so it just floods out the seed. Also the soil has hardened up a lot with a lot of sand brought to the surface from all the rain. How can I prepare the lawn for over seeding without destroying the existing grass too much?

This is so frustrating... I spent 2 days preparing the seed bed and it looked amazing, 1 big rainstorm and it all went to sh***t.....

Khy
Grass Type: KBG/TTTF mix
Lawn Size: 3600 sq ft
Mower: Greenworks twin force 20" mowe

Post by Khy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am

@blazin Honestly, it doesn't look that bad to me... some of the really bare spots it seems pretty clear that there's little shoots of green showing up, it may not be as full as the really thick areas but that's fine, it's mostly KBG. That bag was 20% bluegrass which is basically 50/50 TTTF and KBG seeds.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you'll be fine. You can definitely throw down some seed in those large bare areas, I'd just throw it out by hand though. But there's something that you need to keep in mind, you seeded what... like 15 days ago or so now? There's still going to be a lot of KBG that is just now starting to come up and on top of that KBG has what's known as the "sprout and pout" phase. Where it will come up and just kind of linger at 1/2" or 1" for like a week before it suddenly starts popping.

But I see enough green, regardless of how thin it looks, in those large thin patches to say you'll be surprised in a month or so by how much that fills in, especially if you throw some seed out in those areas again. As an example...

Here is my KBG/TTTF mix in areas I reno'd last year (they were mostly KY31 and Fine Fescue and I just wanted to give rid of the entire area) this photo was taken about 2 weeks after seed down, I also had a big storm come through shortly after my seed went down, but this photo was right around where you're at right now, this photo was on September 1st last year.

I didn't put any other seed down as I miscalculated how much seed I needed and didn't have any extra so I just had to hope...

Here is that exact same area on September 26th

If you've never grown grass from seed before it can be scary but it's amazing how over the span of a couple weeks it goes from looking like "OH NO ALL MY SEED GOT WASHED OUT AND MY RENO IS RUINED" to "Holy crap, this filled in like crazy".
Last edited by Khy on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 am

Get a slit seeder in there and hit those areas. Slit seeding helps the seed stay put in the event of a downpour.

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am

How many days is the photo after seed down?

This is my Day 14 for comparison..

Start feeding it weekly.

This is Day 42 after weekly fertilizer apps.

Last edited by ericgautier on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

Jconnelly6b
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:23 am

I agree with all above. I would focus on your new grass now, ensuring it has what it needs and then right after Labor Day any bare spots that remain, re-seed those. It will be a lot easier to manage just a few spots than trying to re-seed all, when in fact your germination looks quite good. It is always surprising how you think germination is so poor, and then a few weeks later you'll look back at a picture and completely have forgotten how much it has filled in.

I would also suggest if you have water pooling in areas after a few minutes of watering, then you are watering too much. I doubt it's the soil is compacted, I would lean more towards there is more moisture staying in the soil in those locations than you may think.

blazin

Post by blazin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 am

Khy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am
I'll go out on a limb here and say you'll be fine. You can definitely throw down some seed in those large bare areas, I'd just throw it out by hand though. But there's something that you need to keep in mind, you seeded what... like 15 days ago or so now? There's still going to be a lot of KBG that is just now starting to come up and on top of that KBG has what's known as the "sprout and pout" phase. Where it will come up and just kind of linger at 1/2" or 1" for like a week before it suddenly starts popping.
Thats a good point, I when you look closely at the grass, you can definitely see some smaller seedlings which I assumed is the KBG popping up.
ericgautier wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am
Those photos were about 3 weeks after seed down, 2 weeks, after germination.

The lawn is starting to fill in more. I backed off on the watering and hit it with another .25/lb N/1000 sq ft on saturday. At this point I don't think the whole lawn needs another round of seeding, just the bare spots and a few thin areas. I'm going to keep up with the weekly fertilizer at .25lb/1000 to keep things growing well. I got a free bottle of the simple lawn solutions root hume that I'm going to apply as well.

We had a big rainstorm yesterday afternoon and I realized that most of the water coming off of my 700 sq ft patio is flowing off of a 2' wide section directly onto the lawn which causes a small river to flow over the lawn in one area, washing out the soil into my pool stairs and pool deck. This is going to be an ongoing issue so I think my best bet is to install a short linear drain where the water flows and run a pipe down to the bottom of the property. I'll have to dig a trench through the yard to get the pipe in but that area is mostly washed out, so I'm better off doing it now and then reseeding the trench line.

You can see the washout in this photo.

NJ-lawn
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 12000sqft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by NJ-lawn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 am

ericgautier wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am

This is my Day 14 for comparison..

Start feeding it weekly.

This is Day 42 after weekly fertilizer apps.

At what point did you do weekly apps? I’m thinking about using urea at .25/1M sqft since my P and K look good after my soil test in April.

What do you think?

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am

NJ-lawn wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 am

At what point did you do weekly apps? I’m thinking about using urea at .25/1M sqft since my P and K look good after my soil test in April.

What do you think?
I started at Day 7 after germination. I also used Urea. :thumbup:
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)