FuzzeWuzze Tiny Mazama Mono Reno

Cool season member lawn journals
FuzzeWuzze
Grass Type: Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Lawn Boy 21"

Re: FuzzeWuzze Tiny Mazama Mono Reno

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:58 pm

I think i can do one better, since my 2nd tiny 100sqft strip on the side of my house still has no seeds because im a bit low on dirt ill throw the remaining dirt in and seed/fert/spray it tonight in the same fashion as i did this main area.

I'll also throw some in a cup as you say and see how it goes.

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: Converting to KBG monostand
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Post by NoslracNevok » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I planted my Mazama about midnight Sept 1 and noticed the blades early morning Sept 7. I'd say mine took 5 full days to emerge. (pic below is Bewitched)

The Mazama was much slower to emerge. (below)

3-4 days indeed is odd.
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm

I just checked my notes. Seven days at the earliest for my Mazama. FYI

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched front, NoMix back
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: JD 220E, Yard Machines

Post by SNOWBOB11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I’m going to say almost for sure it’s PRG that was seeded and just now germinating. I’m dealing with the exact same situation in my back yard reno. I can post some pics tomorrow if you like. I seeded PRG in the spring of this year and it came in pretty good. I thought after a summer and two glyphosate apps that there was no chance any PRG or anything would germinate other than the KBG. Two days after seeding I started seeing germination and I knew it couldn’t be KBG. I tried hand pulling them but there were quite a few and I didn’t want to be walking in the freshly seeded bewitched. Anyways there are now I’d say close to 200 PRG blades that are taller than the now germinated KBG. Thing is in reality 200 grass blades sound like a lot but over 500 sq ft mixed in with however many thousands or millions of germinated KBG seeds is really nothing. I wouldn’t worry about it. When the mazama germinates and starts to grow in you’ll have forgotten about the PRG. Either that or I’m wrong and you somehow managed to germinate KBG in 3 days but I’m pretty sure that’s almost impossible.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 pm

SNOWBOB11 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 pm
I’m going to say almost for sure it’s PRG that was seeded and just now germinating. I’m dealing with the exact same situation in my back yard reno. I can post some pics tomorrow if you like. I seeded PRG in the spring of this year and it came in pretty good. I thought after a summer and two glyphosate apps that there was no chance any PRG or anything would germinate other than the KBG. Two days after seeding I started seeing germination and I knew it couldn’t be KBG. I tried hand pulling them but there were quite a few and I didn’t want to be walking in the freshly seeded bewitched. Anyways there are now I’d say close to 200 PRG blades that are taller than the now germinated KBG. Thing is in reality 200 grass blades sound like a lot but over 500 sq ft mixed in with however many thousands or millions of germinated KBG seeds is really nothing. I wouldn’t worry about it. When the mazama germinates and starts to grow in you’ll have forgotten about the PRG. Either that or I’m wrong and you somehow managed to germinate KBG in 3 days but I’m pretty sure that’s almost impossible.
Hope not, the seeds say otherwise but we'll see. Im not against pulling 200 PRG plants by hand if i have too. :twisted:
Once the lawn is at the 1 or so inch mark across the board or during the kbg pout and i can walk on it anything substantially longer thats still growing is just gonna get pulled or hit with glypho on a qtip :nod:

I planted the side area with about .3#(its only 100sqft), and put some in a paper towel in a cup near some bushes that should keep it wet when the sprinklers turn on. We'll see how those fare.
Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Deke
Grass Type: Mix
Lawn Size: 2800
Mower: Kobalt electric push

Post by Deke » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 am

Loving the updates btw. I am following your Reno almost step for step. Just about 2 weeks behind you.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

The true seed babies started popping today, on schedule about 6-7 days in.

I figure before my first mow any of the residual PRG that seems to have lived through two nukes should be ridiculously high and ill pull as much of it as i can.

I'm already starting to get a bunch of dead leaves and crap from my tree's nearby falling, when should i bother walking on it to get them? Its far from dense leaves and they are all dry so not matted on the dirt really so i am not that worried. I could use my blower and probably get most of them pushed off from the side, may try that tommorrow afternoon.

Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:26 am

FuzzeWuzze wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm
The true seed babies started popping today, on schedule about 6-7 days in.

I figure before my first mow any of the residual PRG that seems to have lived through two nukes should be ridiculously high and ill pull as much of it as i can.

I'm already starting to get a bunch of dead leaves and crap from my tree's nearby falling, when should i bother walking on it to get them? Its far from dense leaves and they are all dry so not matted on the dirt really so i am not that worried. I could use my blower and probably get most of them pushed off from the side, may try that tommorrow afternoon.

The blower is a good tool. I've used it with success. It's hard to resist not trying to get all the leaves off, but the seedlings should be ok as long as the leaves aren't matted. It's not worth the risk, in my book to walk on them so early.

Congrats on grass babies!

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Day 9
The yard is starting to take a green hue, i can already see where it's not coming in as well which is actually where the yard drains. No run off but it's the area that gets the most soaked from the sprinklers. Maybe to much water but some is coming in so I'll wait a few weeks before i throw more seed.
Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Day 12 Progress:

Things are greening up nicely. You can clearly see where the water runs off and is more damp in the bottom right corner of the photo, there is no wash out but its likely getting overwatered because all the water slowly moves that direction within the soil and percolates out onto my driveway even in rainy days.

Even though it looks like nothing is growing there, it seems like either the peat was a bit thicker, the extra water stunted it a bit, i am not sure but there are grass babies popping out all over this area now, it just seems to be 6-7 days behind the rest of the grass in the area.

Also the rear small 100 sqft area is popping out, so i suppose thats day 7 and as expected.

Overall the weather has been very cooperative, we've only had 1 day near 90 since seed down, rained yesterday and is going to be low 80's for another week or so. That said they forecast mid to upper 90's late next week so ill have to make sure my sprinklers are going well.

Sinclair
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1500 sq ft
Mower: 21" Super Recycler

Post by Sinclair » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm

It's so exciting when they finally start breaking out in numbers.

I have no desire to do another reno soon, but I sure do miss the Christmas morning feeling!
America KBG
Blue Velvet KBG
Granite KBG
Shamrock KBG

Mrotatori
Grass Type: KBG reno of 4000 SQ fall 2018
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere l110

Post by Mrotatori » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

looking good so far, good luck

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Grow, grass babies, grow! It looks like it's coming along nicely and you still have plenty of time. I know we all get anxious, but it's amazing how grass grows, once it gets past 'sprout and pout'.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 am

When do you guys suggest another hit of fertilizer? After the first mow? I believe i shouldnt push it too hard aka Fall blitz but wonder if another .5N or something of something slow like Alfalfa pellets might be something to throw at it in Fall. I can get like a 50# bag of Alfalfa meal for $13 or something from the local farm ag store, among others like feather/bone meal etc.
Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sfurunner13
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: ~20k
Mower: Honda HRR216VKA/ JD LX 172

Post by Sfurunner13 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:33 am

Last year I believe I started putting down 0.25 lbs N around 28 days after germination. I did this almost weekly until average first frost date. My turf seemed to like it. I tried to time it when it rained. Only problem is spreading that low amount sometimes makes it alittle uneven.
2018 Reno
TTTF ( LS 1200, Cochise IV, Hemi, Hot Rod, Rebounder) + KBG (Bewitched, Nuglade)

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Sfurunner13 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:33 am
Last year I believe I started putting down 0.25 lbs N around 28 days after germination. I did this almost weekly until average first frost date. My turf seemed to like it. I tried to time it when it rained. Only problem is spreading that low amount sometimes makes it alittle uneven.
Yea, i have some FAS i could use to make spreading it out evenly easier, not sure if foliar FAS apps on new seedlings is better or worse than granules?
Last edited by FuzzeWuzze on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeus201
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 8k
Mower: Baroness LM56G, GM1000, Rotary

Post by zeus201 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:18 pm

social port wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm
I had germination at 7 days as well. Oddly, did some additional test pots and had germination at 5 days.

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:23 pm

zeus201 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:18 pm
social port wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm
I had germination at 7 days as well. Oddly, did some additional test pots and had germination at 5 days.
Yeah, I don’t know why variations like that happen. Water? Degree of seed to soil contact? Amount of sunlight exposure? JDgreen can get TTTF up and running in no time at all. My TTTF comes up very well, but it takes a very long time and even longer to grow vigorously.

zeus201
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 8k
Mower: Baroness LM56G, GM1000, Rotary

Post by zeus201 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:27 pm

social port wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:23 pm
Yeah, I don’t know why variations like that happen. Water? Degree of seed to soil contact? Amount of sunlight exposure? JDgreen can get TTTF up and running in no time at all. My TTTF comes up very well, but it takes a very long time and even longer to grow vigorously.
Yeah, JDgreen mowed already which blew me away! I re-seeded reno area yesterday with seed I primed for 4 days. Fingers crossed I will see germination in coming days.

FuzzeWuzze

Post by FuzzeWuzze » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:16 pm

I wasnt too happy with how poorly I had graded the small 100 sqft section, so i pulled a 2x4 across it to level it out better. Felt bad stomping on the new baby seeds and digging/covering them up but i'd rather do it now than have a bumpy area that gets scalped a lot. Threw down some more seed and peat on top of it to help fill in any area's i may have just killed.