SC Grass Loon
Grass Type: Zorro Zoysia/Centipede
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Baroness LM56G, Rotary

Re: New Zoysia Sod Help!!

Post by SC Grass Loon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 am

datcope wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:14 pm
We installed 11M of Palisades Zoysia about 3 months ago and watered it every day for the first 3 weeks. Even with that watering schedule, we had several areas of grass that died, so the installer came back and replaced that grass. In our case, with the grass coming from South Texas, as the heat rises those pieces they put on the top of the pallet upside down get blasted like a heat furnace on the trip and should be discarded.

That looks really good! How is it handling the shade? I installed Zorro in May and in the areas that are most shaded I am seeing thinning already. It is probably not all as a result of the shade as I have fought a little bit of fungus, etc.

datcope
Grass Type: Tiff 419, Palisades Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere S240

Post by datcope » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm

@SC Grass Loon So far so good....I love this grass!

SC Grass Loon
Grass Type: Zorro Zoysia/Centipede
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Baroness LM56G, Rotary

Post by SC Grass Loon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm

datcope wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm
@SC Grass Loon So far so good....I love this grass!
That is great, it sure looks good. I hoping with better management I can thicken up the shaded areas of my lawn.

emzoysiaguy
Grass Type: Emerald Zoysia
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: reel

Post by emzoysiaguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 pm

So update. Sorry no pics, Ive been working crazy hours but I'll try to take some tommorow morning. You guys have some beautiful lawns and Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints and suggestions. I've been watering heavy in the morning and a medium watering around 1:00 everyday. Some of the dormant and burnt spots have started to show signs of green. The sod layer came and finished my side yard today and the extra sod he had left he replaced some of the burnt out patches. Turns out I don't have Emerald Zoysia, I have Geo Zoysia because the sod farm sent the wrong grass from the start. I don't mind as when it arrived it was a beautiful dark green so as long as I know it will eventually return to that color I'm cool with that. I read that Geo needs 1" of water a day untill it's established so that totally makes since why everything was drying out, especially with the heat. I still need to move a few sprinkler heads and push some under the grass layer and I plan to do that this weekend. Another question for you guys is I seem to have a lot of ants and some roaches around the yard from the new flower beds and sod. Can I put anything like granules out yet on the sod to help with bugs or is it too early? This Saturday will be two weeks from the initial install.

emzoysiaguy

Post by emzoysiaguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 am

Finnaly some update pics. I think we are supposed to get some rain next week so that should help some with the heat. Is it too early to use a lawn roller? When they sodded they didn't do the best job of keeping things flat. I'm sure over time and rain should help things some. Just trying to speed up the process.

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 am

If you're using the water-filled tub style (instead of the heavier self-propelled ones that professionals use) then don't expect any major impact on uneven ground (such as ruts from footprints, etc). It's just not enough weight to compress dirt. I read somewhere (super sod?) that it helps to compress the sod into the soil for a better root/soil contact and that's where that plastic tub comes in handy.

As for the ants/bugs - Fipronil is the active ingredient in products such as Termidor SC or Taurus SC, and can be sprayed anytime. It's a termiticide and not a contact chemical meaning insects won't die on contact but instead take it back to the colonies when walking through it. (the other alternative is Advison fire ant granules, which the ants treat as food and scurry back with them to feed the queen. Voila!).

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Are surrounded by bermuda yards?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 pm

You are going to need serious topdressing to get that mowable. Rolling it will not fix that.

emzoysiaguy

Post by emzoysiaguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 pm

corneliani, It would just be a water filled style as i don't have access to a professional one. It never occurred to me that it would help the roots push into the dirt but it totally makes since. Might do it anyway to help the grass root better.

jawhawk , its a new subdivision and the houses around me aren't finished construction yet so there is no grass in those yards, just weeds and dirt. I doubt anyone here would have Bermuda. For some reason in this area, most people have St Aug or centipede. No one knows what a reel mower is. :lol:

Greendoc, i am afraid of that. I have a McClane manual greens mower that I be leave only goes up to 1 ". I bought it used and haven't used it yet so i'm not sure. I have a feeling its gonna be damn near impossible not to scalp it. I'm guessing its too late in the year and too soon for the sod to topdress before the end of the year right?

jimbeckel
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: GM1000, Allett B17

Post by jimbeckel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Water that yard like crazy, you have probably had the high temps like Alabama has had since the beginning of September, upper 90’s with no rain in sight. It will be fine but water that yard consistently and a lot.

emzoysiaguy

Post by emzoysiaguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:46 pm

jimbeckel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:09 pm
Water that yard like crazy, you have probably had the high temps like Alabama has had since the beginning of September, upper 90’s with no rain in sight. It will be fine but water that yard consistently and a lot.
Yea it’s been the same here. Super hot and no rain in sight. I feel like Im watering a lot and I still feel like it’s not enough. I got my rain gauges in today so tomorrow I’ll figure out my precipitation rate and really dial everything in

jimbeckel
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: GM1000, Allett B17

Post by jimbeckel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:57 pm

emzoysiaguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:46 pm
jimbeckel wrote:
Yea it’s been the same here. Super hot and no rain in sight. I feel like Im watering a lot and I still feel like it’s not enough. I got my rain gauges in today so tomorrow I’ll figure out my precipitation rate and really dial everything in
Don’t get discouraged by the yard, keep the water on it and it will come around. I like the outside look of your house, nice move from an apartment to home.

emzoysiaguy

Post by emzoysiaguy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm

jimbeckel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:57 pm
emzoysiaguy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:46 pm
jimbeckel wrote:
Don’t get discouraged by the yard, keep the water on it and it will come around. I like the outside look of your house, nice move from an apartment to home.

Thanks! I actually enjoy working in the yard so even though it can be frustrating, it’s still rewarding for me.

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 pm

It's downhill from here. I hope you update us over the next 12 mo