Trying to spread Bermuda grass (stolons and rhizomes ).

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Pgentile1300
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 12500 sf
Mower: Push

Trying to spread Bermuda grass (stolons and rhizomes ).

Post by Pgentile1300 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:35 am

Trying to spread my Bermuda grass into the areas where the crabgrass use to be. If I use a pre-emergent, will that prohibit the growth of the Bermuda? If so what do I do?

Darrell_KC
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/3 Acre
Mower: Toro TimeMaster 30"

Re: Trying to spread Bermuda grass (stolons and rhizomes ).

Post by Darrell_KC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 am

Not to piggyback, but I have the same question as well, and for the same issue. I want to kill off some crabgrass and use fall pre-emergent soon, but I read that pre-emergent can stop the growth of stolons and make it harder for bermuda to spread.

erdons
Grass Type: Tifsport & Tifgreen
Lawn Size: 1800 Sq ft
Mower: McLane Reel Mower

Post by erdons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am

Sprayed glyphosate to kill Dallis grass and crabgrass, a few days before I had put down prodiamine. Probably had 3 months of no movement, the runners simply would not tack on and would die. About a month ago I aereated to break that pre emergent barrier and finally started getting movement at a rapid pace. If I could go back I would not use the pre emergent and would just let the Bermuda spread and fight the crabgrass as it comes up, I personally wouldn’t put down a pre emergent until the dead spots have filled in.
Last edited by erdons on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darrell_KC

Post by Darrell_KC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am

erdons wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am

Sprayed glyphosate to kill Dallis grass and crabgrass, a few days before I had put down prodiamine. Probably had 3 months of no movement, the runners simply would not tack on and would die. About a month ago I aereated to break that pre emergent barrier and finally started getting movement at a rapid pace. If I could go back I would not use the pre emergent and would just let the Bermuda spread and fight the crabgrass as it comes up, I personally wouldn’t put down a pre emergent until the dead spots have filled in.
Thanks, I think this answers my question. Im expecting a fair amount of die off and hole filling from where crabgrass got a good foothold during my renovation. My concern is, if i spread pre-emergent in spring, will the pre-e stop the bermuda from filling in once the peak growing season hits? Then I wouldnt get the bermuda filling in, and also not get weeds but be left with just open spots until the pre-e wears off

Thinking out loud, would it work to spread pre-e on the lawn, but once May hits and its growing season, I could use a weasel and break up the open spots to break the barrier and then let bermuda do its thing?

erdons

Post by erdons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

Pretty much, I was in peak growing season from may through july, tried a balanced fertilizer, urea 46-0-0 and it moved at an absolute snails pace due to the pre emergent. Last summer I didn’t put down a pre emergent and would get spots to fill in rapidly. You might be ok to use fall pre emergent as your Bermuda is going to go Dormant anyway and by the time it’s spring the pre emergent barrier will have worn off, of course yes using the weasel to break up those spots will help.
Last edited by erdons on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darrell_KC

Post by Darrell_KC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 am

thanks for the advice on that, I think I will go with the fall pre-e treatment, and then in spring just try to stay ahead of weeds with a post emergent and filling holes with harvested stolons and a pro plugger

HungrySoutherner
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway
Lawn Size: 4000 sqft
Mower: Swardman Electra, Honda Rotary

Post by HungrySoutherner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am

You can plug into those areas, or use a screw driver and trip long runners and press them into the areas. Both will work, because your getting the establishment into the soil and not trying to get the rooting on top to push through the preM, any runners the branch will still have a similar tacking issue, but you'll have nodes growing in the middle....or take a rake to those areas and disrupt the soil surface

p1muserfan
Grass Type: Bermuda front, Zoysia back
Lawn Size: 3500 sq. ft.
Mower: Troy-bilt 21", Earthwise push

Post by p1muserfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Darrell_KC wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am
erdons wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks, I think this answers my question. Im expecting a fair amount of die off and hole filling from where crabgrass got a good foothold during my renovation. My concern is, if i spread pre-emergent in spring, will the pre-e stop the bermuda from filling in once the peak growing season hits? Then I wouldnt get the bermuda filling in, and also not get weeds but be left with just open spots until the pre-e wears off

Thinking out loud, would it work to spread pre-e on the lawn, but once May hits and its growing season, I could use a weasel and break up the open spots to break the barrier and then let bermuda do its thing?
You NEED pre-emergent in the the early spring if you don't want to fight crabgrass again next summer. When the bermuda comes back next spring just feed it regularly and it will be fine. Don't be breaking that pre-emergent barrier!

erdons

Post by erdons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Of course, unfortunately my only choice was to kill that dallis grass with glyphosate, I’ve been fighting dallis grass for a few years and this year i finally got it controlled, or course next spring i will put down pre emergent with the expectation that I will no longer have bear spots that need to fill in.

WDE46
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6,700 Sq Ft
Mower: 21" Greenworks 80V

Post by WDE46 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

erdons wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm
Of course, unfortunately my only choice was to kill that dallis grass with glyphosate, I’ve been fighting dallis grass for a few years and this year i finally got it controlled, or course next spring i will put down pre emergent with the expectation that I will no longer have bear spots that need to fill in.
I got some MSMA and annihilated it. Worked amazingly well.

Plugging is the way to go for bare areas. Sprigging can work but you need to keep them alive with water for a while to get them to stick. Need to water plugs too but rather than dying from no extra watering, they'll just suffer and come back eventually when it rains.
Last edited by WDE46 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Conventional pre stops root growth. I know Simazine does not. In fact, it is labeled for application to plugged or sprigged turf.

andymac7
Grass Type: Yukon/Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: .75 acre
Mower: Rotary and Push Reel

Post by andymac7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:12 am

For what it's worth, Dithiopyr is said to be less of a "root pruner" than Prodiamine, so that's why I've been using it. It also doesn't have as long of a residual effect. In my area, I just put it down in late February so that come about mid June or so, the pre-em is starting to wear off and the bermuda can start running. Then of course I have the Celsius and Sedgehammer in the holster ready for any weeds that dare show their ugly face :).
I commonly enjoy the impossible: watching plants grow.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56/EGO 21" SP

Post by DuncanMcDonuts » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 am

How does a preemergent prevent the spread of bermuda runners? I thought it only stopped new germination from seeds.

andymac7
Grass Type: Yukon/Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: .75 acre
Mower: Rotary and Push Reel

Post by andymac7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

DuncanMcDonuts wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 am
How does a preemergent prevent the spread of bermuda runners? I thought it only stopped new germination from seeds.
Pre-ems actually don't prevent germination; they inhibit certain processes of seedlings to prevent them from maturing, thus killing them. They also can prevent rooting to an extent, especially at the soil surface.

That's why you see the use of a garden weasel suggested here. If that vapor barrier is broken up, there's a much better chance runners will be able to penetrate down into the soil.

This is a great video from Matt Martin at TGF breaking down Pre-ems:

I commonly enjoy the impossible: watching plants grow.

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by Movingshrub » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Oxadiazon is your friend, with simazine as a backup option.

Still learnin
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda/Weeds
Lawn Size: 76,000 sq/ft
Mower: Dixie Chopper

Post by Still learnin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Movingshrub wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm
That’s some pricey stuff (Oxadiazion)

ktgrok
Grass Type: bermuda - maya
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: earthwise 7 blade manual reel

Post by ktgrok » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Or maybe Isoxaben? Supposedly not hard on spreading grasses, okay for sprigging, etc.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am

ktgrok wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 pm
Or maybe Isoxaben? Supposedly not hard on spreading grasses, okay for sprigging, etc.
Isoxaben is good for broadleaf and not grassy weeds.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:03 am

Still learnin wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 pm
Movingshrub wrote:
The WSB bags are often a better value than spreadable granule.

Still learnin
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda/Weeds
Lawn Size: 76,000 sq/ft
Mower: Dixie Chopper

Post by Still learnin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 am

Movingshrub wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:03 am
Still learnin wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 pm
Movingshrub wrote:
The WSB bags are often a better value than spreadable granule.

Looks like a minimum of almost $300 for a full acre. I’m planning on either a 1/2 acre or full acre renovation next summer. Sometimes having a large yard is for the birds. May be cheaper in the long run though since hopefully it would reduce the need for post emergents and allow the sprigs to spread without weed interference. Decisions.