Pre/Post emergent around trees?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Mgfan
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Riding/Push mower

Pre/Post emergent around trees?

Post by Mgfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm totally new to this and this seems like the place to ask. Sorry if this is a stuoid question but.... I have a lot weeds around 2 mature oak trees in my front lawn and weeds around 2 younger trees in my back yard( I know, lots of weeds). Is there a safe pre and post emergent to use around these? Or will is pulling the weeds the only way?
Last edited by Mgfan on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Bradley Stander 48

Re: Pre/Post emergent around trees?

Post by CenlaLowell » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 am

Mgfan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm
I'm totally new to this and this seems like the place to ask. Sorry if this is a stuoid question but.... I have a lot weeds around 2 mature oak trees in my front lawn and weeds around 2 younger trees in my back yard( I know, lots of weeds). Is there a safe pre and post emergent to use around these? Or will is pulling the weeds the only way?
Alot of people would say snapshot 2.5g. I hope there's another product because that's so high.
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am

I believe as long as you follow the label rates the trees should be fine (2,4-D, Celcius, Certainty, Dismiss, Image). I would avoid spraying right up to trunk or on the truck, but the area around the tree (drip zone) should be fine. Just don't use MSMA anywhere near a tree. Even at label rates it can damage them. Any mistakes on overlap and they are all dead.

The only reason I don't know this from experience is because trees are a hot commodity here after Hurricane Michael so I refuse to use MSMA even though it would be VERY helpful with some of my weed issues. I just don't think I have my method of spraying down to the accuracy needed to spray the heavy hitting stuff.

Mgfan
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Riding/Push mower

Post by Mgfan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks for the I help. Now does anyone know a good prayer or dance to make it rain the dfw?

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by Movingshrub » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Redtwin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am
I believe as long as you follow the label rates the trees should be fine (2,4-D, Celcius, Certainty, Dismiss, Image). I would avoid spraying right up to trunk or on the truck, but the area around the tree (drip zone) should be fine. Just don't use MSMA anywhere near a tree. Even at label rates it can damage them. Any mistakes on overlap and they are all dead.

The only reason I don't know this from experience is because trees are a hot commodity here after Hurricane Michael so I refuse to use MSMA even though it would be VERY helpful with some of my weed issues. I just don't think I have my method of spraying down to the accuracy needed to spray the heavy hitting stuff.
I thought MSMA was foliar only and wasn’t root absorbed. I wouldn’t expect it to cause any damage to trees, or are you taking MSM (manor)?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Movingshrub wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 pm
Redtwin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am

I thought MSMA was foliar only and wasn’t root absorbed. I wouldn’t expect it to cause any damage to trees, or are you taking MSM (manor)?
My bad... MSM. That shows my ignorance of it.