For those who change their own oil (vehicles, not lawn equipment), how do you handle tire rotation?

How you relax when the work is done
kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5,171 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

For those who change their own oil (vehicles, not lawn equipment), how do you handle tire rotation?

Post by kds » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

I've been struggling with this. I think I'm going to start changing my own oil because it seems more convenient but I don't know what to do about tire rotation. Do you do it yourself with just a jack and a wrench, doing one side at a time, or do you let a tire shop do it to save some time? Do you use a manual wrench or an impact wrench? Any other considerations?

kstall
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: JD x350

Re: For those who change their own oil (vehicles, not lawn equipment), how do you handle tire rotation?

Post by kstall » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:03 am

Tire shop here gives free rotate when you buy tires. I let them do it

arj116
Grass Type: mixed with lots of weeds
Lawn Size: 2900
Mower: yard works

Re: For those who change their own oil (vehicles, not lawn equipment), how do you handle tire rotation?

Post by arj116 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:20 am

I use 2 jacks when doing the rotate. I dont have impact wrench. I do have my own Johnson bar, sockets, and torque wrench.
I do the 2 jack technique just because its a lot faster for the front to rear rotation. Ideally every 2nd oil change I rotate my tires (12,000 km- 7,4xx mi) Good time to check pad thickness, any scoring on the brakes discs inside and outside. Good time to check for any leaks. Torn boots etc.

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:24 am

kstall wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:03 am
+1. :thumbup:
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

daniel3507
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1800sq ft
Mower: Rotary

Post by daniel3507 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:27 am

kstall wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:03 am
This. Easy and they have record of it happening and I have the paperwork of it happening so they can't weasel out of the warranty.

deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: 52" Snapper

Post by deboy922 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Good replies above...I use a jack, 2 jack stands, cordless impact, & torque wrench (I love the cordless impact)...if I did not have the tools, I would utilize the free rotation at the tire stores. Be careful if you do it yourself...safety first...you do not want to be trapped under a vehicle.

Iruse
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 7200 sqft
Mower: Reel

Post by Iruse » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:36 pm

I use four jack stands one floor jack a breaker bar and a torque wrench with what ever size socket I need for that car.

I set up my jack stands to the same height. Loosen all the lugs with the breaker bar. Jack up one side of the car place it on stands then the other. If I am changing the oil I place the jack under the some part of the suspension and raise it up to some portion of the suspension on which ever side of the car I will be accessing the drain plug from and just put pressure just in case.

Start draining my oil. Remove the wheels move them to their respective spots, straight back cross forward for front wheel drive, or straight forward cross back for rear or 4X4. Check tread depth, brake pads, rotors and lines and suspension parts for wear and tear.

Put all the wheels back on make sure the drain plug is in drop the car torque the wheels with a torque wrench to ~110 lb-ft. Finish changing the oil.

I grew up working in my dad's parts store and I NEVER use a pneumatic torque wrench unless I am taking off the lugs. Always tighten in a star pattern and start by hand if you insist on using a pneumatic wrench. Lugs are never fun to replace unless you have the right tools and if you car uses lug bolts and you strip or sheer one off have fun with that.

Remember jack stands are rated in pairs now days. So a 3 ton jack stand is only rated at 3 tons for the pair so 1.5 each and depending on the rating system used the min fail weight has to be %150 of the rating. If you're doing cars this isn't a big deal but with trucks and SUVs it can be something to consider.
Last edited by Iruse on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shindoman
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: fine fescue/colonial bent
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Dennis FT510

Post by Shindoman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Tire rotation happens when I put on my winter set. Same in the spring.
I bought a Milwaukee impact but always tighten with a breaker bar and finish with a torque wrench.

ScottW
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Lawn Boy 10523

Post by ScottW » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Tire rotations every other oil change (5-6K intervals) so every 10-12K miles on the rotations. My daily sees about 22K per year. I do it all myself because over the years I've just developed a distrust of other people to accomplish simple tasks like this without effing something up... not tightening drain plugs properly, cross-threading lug nuts and/or snapping wheel studs, not torquing properly, etc.

I have 2 jacks and 4 jack stands, put the whole car up at once.
With my lowest car being a Miata and my tallest being either my wife's MDX or my 4Runner, I basically need 2 different jacks on hand anyway.
Breaker bar and torque wrench only for force application on the lugs. Takes a few extra seconds versus using impact tools, but I save those for breaking stuff loose that I can't break loose otherwise.

I also do my own timing belts, clutches, etc. so my tolerance for this stuff may be higher than others'. Nothing wrong with paying competent techs to work on cars, but I do save a fair bit of scratch with the DIY route that I can then justify spending on other things.

Dkrem
Grass Type: Fescue blend conv to TTTF
Lawn Size: 45k
Mower: Hustler RSD54

Post by Dkrem » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am

I run summer and winter tires and when exchanging I put the best two on the front.

FlowRider
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Wheel chocks and jack stands, and a pneumatic air wrench make short work of it. Always use jack stands...!

I have to use two different jacks depending on vehicle size, and vehicle height. Truck/SUV and car/sports car....

The shops let the low guy on the totem pole do tire rotations. They almost always do something bonehead.

Plus, if you have nice wheels on your ride, you don't want some inattentive knucklehead scarring up your rims....

Suburban Jungle Life
Grass Type: TTTF & Zoysia
Lawn Size: 18M
Mower: Spinning Machete

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:07 am

Jack, stands, impact gun, torque stick, torque wrench. Lift car in the middle front and rear, put on stands, gun off all 4 and rotate as desired. Start all lugs by hand, use torque stick on gun, and finish with torque wrench after I lower the car. Check brakes while there, check suspension joints, and change any fluids while the car is up. Pretty straightforward.

95mmrenegade
Grass Type: Bermuda 419
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Toro GM1600 Trucut C27

Post by 95mmrenegade » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm

The hands down best think I ever did was buy quickjack. Extremely easy to setup. Lifts the whole vehicle in less than 30 seconds, setup takes 2-3 minutes.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Re: For those who change their own oil

Post by dfw_pilot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:21 pm

That quickjack looks awesome.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: For those who change their own oil

Post by Ware » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

dfw_pilot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:21 pm
That quickjack looks awesome.
Added to wish list. :bandit:

g-man
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix Back: Bewi
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 am

Costco has this in the stores now. I was tempted, but for every 6months use the jack works ok.

Cory
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tifway 419 & common
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Cory » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 am

I do the same as the others. Jack, jack stands, impact and torque wrench. I have been thinking of buying a lift, the older and fatter I get the harder it is to get up and down to work under the vehicles :lol:

I have never paid anyone to do anything other than mount an balance tires to my vehicles but have been looking for tire machines recently to do that myself too. Here’s a good reason why. We recently bought a used certified 2017 Volvo S60 with 20k miles on it. A day or two after we got it the front end of the car had started making an awful noise at about 45mph and higher. If you have ever flat spotted tires or have had a wheel bearing go bad that’s what it sounded like. I jacked up the driver side of the car to check if the wheel bearings were bad and noticed the inside front tire was cupped really bad on the inside. Took it back to the Volvo dealer we bought it from, the service manager took one look at the front tires and said “ Yep, they’re cupped. When they did the certification on the car the tech must have rotated the tires, he wasn’t supposed to do that.” The model I have has a negative camber set on the rear wheels for better handling. When your suspension is set to have that much negative camber you either need to rotate often, every 2-3k miles or not at all. If the techs at the dealer the car came from screw up something so simple imagine what the others do. But I guess it worked out for us because of the idiot that rotated the tires when he wasn’t supposed to we got a whole new set of tires :lol:

testwerke
Grass Type: Zoysia & Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA

Post by testwerke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:23 pm

I don't. Staggered wheel setup on my car :(

But if I did, beer, jack, jack stands, torque wrench, beer.
Last edited by testwerke on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5,171 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Post by kds » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:21 pm

@95mmrenegade @dfw_pilot that quickjack looks awesome!

95mmrenegade
Grass Type: Bermuda 419
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Toro GM1600 Trucut C27

Post by 95mmrenegade » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 pm

kds wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:21 pm
@95mmrenegade @dfw_pilot that quickjack looks awesome!
I have 2 very different vehicles now and it handles both easily. My wife's Audi S5 is in coilovers and is fairly low, my F150 is on a 6" lift with 35s. The quickjack is a lifesaver. I have used the quickjack on a 13 corvette and 16 911 and seems to work well across many different vehicles. Jacking all 4 corners up with Jack's and pinchwelds is no fun.