TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda - La Prima
Lawn Size: 6,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: Dangerlawn journal

Post by Dangerlawn »

mowww wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:38 am

The paint looks pretty good to me. How are you liking your Earthwise 7-blade reel? Looks smooth from your photos, do you have to double cut? Any sharpening since you bought it?
I love the earthwise when I cut at 1 inch, but it leaves really bad washboarding marks if I cut any lower.

Like this:

Also it’s a pain to adjust the cutting height because you have to take off the wheels. I’m just leaving at an inch and not touching it.

I do not have to double cut and I haven’t sharpened it yet. After a full season it still cuts paper across the entire bed knife and does a better job than my toro rotary at leaving a smooth surface.

If it broke tomorrow I would buy the same one again.

I maintain it by blowing it off with an air compressor after every use and then putting some WD-40 all over the metal parts. I used it daily for a long time
Last edited by Dangerlawn on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mowww
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 11K
Mower: Rotary and reel

Post by mowww »

@Dangerlawn thank you for the thorough reply! For my next project I’d like to utilize this mower. I appreciate the information.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

The pre emergents are working fantastic.

Last year without pre em I was covered in poa:

This year, zero.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Found a couple weeds in the yard today, mostly in the alley. Sprayed them all with some ready to spray stuff I had laying around, so I will see how well this works.. didn’t feel like mixing up anything since it’s just a few plants

Common mallow:

Poa:

Not sure what the rest are

Last edited by Dangerlawn on Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Zero difference on any of the weeds I sprayed. It being an amine during weather seems to be the issue. I’ll just pull them by hand if they don’t die in a couple weeks, or I might respray a few times and see what happens.
Last edited by Dangerlawn on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Decided to remove the little fence in the backyard. Bought a farm jack, some chain and a few half inch bolts to remove the posts.

Will be buying a John Deere 260SL very soon and wanted to get the yard ready for reel mowing. Less obstacles to mow and edge around. We really don’t need the fence because the dog just jumps over it anyway and it’s secured with a gate.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Fence posts are gone and I put out a yard of top soil to fill the holes. This will get sanded in Spring before I start reel mowing it.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

I found my reel mower! It’s a Toro Greensmaster 1000 that I picked up for $750. We woke up at 5am to drive out to McKinney Texas and pick it up. We didn’t get home until around 6pm.

Despite the long drive, I’m very happy with it. It wasn’t cutting paper at first but I was able to adjust that and get it cutting paper across the whole bed knife.

Cut the yard today at around 3/4 inch. It looks like crap but it’s not the mowers fault. It’s from the lawn paint job and my lack of experience.

Next step is to clean it up real nice and learn how to do the grease fittings, change oil/filter/spark plug etc.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf

Post by Redtwin »

You're going to LOVE that mower! It took me a bit to learn to control it but it cuts great. I nicknamed mine the "Spooked Mule". It'll pop wheelies until you learn to work the drive lever smoothly.

Sounds like you got a great deal!!!

jabopy
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All sorts (not sure)
Lawn Size: 3456ft 321m
Mower: 214tc Husky, Honda 536.

Post by jabopy »

Great mower :thumbup: now you have a better run with the tree gone and now the fence out of the way. Love the geen :mrgreen:

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

I do love this mower! I just put down some stripes in the dormant Bermuda.

I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of using it. I popped a ton of wheelies in the process, but I found a good throttle speed I like. I might take off the transport connections to get in closer with the mower against obstacles. Otherwise I’m pretty happy with everything so far.

Had an issue with the throttle cable. It fell out of position inside the control panel and made me think the cable died. I popped it back and now I’m good to go. I went ahead and ordered all new cables for the controls, but I really didn’t need to. This is just for piece of mind and to have a small project replacing them. I paid about $150 for the three OEM cables. The cable housings are all busted open and worn so if nothing else they’ll look better.
Last edited by Dangerlawn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Put out the last of my air 8 bottle today in the backyard. It was probably only around 16 oz or so. I applied it with the simple lawn solutions sprayer across around 4,000 square foot. It’s supposed to rain today to help it get into the soil.

Mopar69
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 4,241 ft sq
Mower: Honda rotary

Post by Mopar69 »

Just looked over your journal. Wow, lots of work in half a year. I’ve had drip irrigation in my beds for years...have never really used it, I have 5 children (I’m a milk man - insert joke) that I keep busy hand watering. Seems really cool to have in a yard.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Mopar69 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 pm
Just looked over your journal. Wow, lots of work in half a year. I’ve had drip irrigation in my beds for years...have never really used it, I have 5 children (I’m a milk man - insert joke) that I keep busy hand watering. Seems really cool to have in a yard.
Thanks, I like to stay busy. I really enjoy the hand watering as well. The drip should come in handy for vacation and droughts.

1/25/2020

Today I mowed the back yard at 0.5 inch

Still playing with the new mower and learning how it works. So far I've greased all the fittings with Lucas Marine grease and replaced the throttle and clutch cables. I still need to replace spark plug, change the oil, and clean fuel filter.

It's so nice seeing stripes in my dormant grass. I still need to work on making them straight. Lot of leveling to do as well.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Mowed the dormant grass at 0.25 inches. It’s crazy how many clippings were created going from 0.5 to 0.25 inch hoc. The clippings left small lines in the yard but it seems to be cutting really well.

Changed the oil and got it starting cold on first pull at half choke and mid throttle.

Using a mightyvac fluid extractor off Amazon for around $25 to remove the old oil and fill with 0.6 quarts of 10w30.

Last edited by Dangerlawn on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

Dangerlawn wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 pm
...It’s crazy how many clippings were created going from 0.5 to 0.25 inch hoc.
Agree - it always surprises me.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

3/1

It’s summer weeds pre emergent day! I’m a little early but we have had two 70 degree days in a row with 24 hour soil temps are at 52.

Did a 6 month rate of prodiamine on the front yard and a 3 month rate on the backyard, which still needs to fill in so I’m splitting those apps to make sure I don’t overdose anything. Eventually I’ll have the full yearly max across everything and then switch back to indaziflam for fall.

I’ll hit them again in about 30 days.

In the same tank I put down some humic 12 at the 6oz rate.

I also dusted off the drip irrigation and fixed a few things and created a new zone. It seems to be working fine, but I’ll be dragging a hose to water in the pre.

We’re not done freezing yet so I’m not bringing out any hose timers quite yet.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

3/11/2020

Did an xsoil app on the front and back yard at 10lbs per M rate. So the entire bag covered about 4,500 sq ft. It’s been a few days since I did this app and it rained twice since.

Scalped the lawn down to 0.2 inches and bagged clippings on first pass and then stopped collecting for the remaining passes. I probably wasted some of my xsoil prills, but that’s fine. I wanted to scalp so I scalped.

This was a pretty difficult process because I was going from .75 to 0.2 inches. I should have probably not done that much at once. It was really difficult to push the mower and I had to raise it pretty often to get the mower to move. I might have damaged my belts some in the process but it still works for now.

I noticed it went from cutting paper before mowing to not cutting after. I will readjust but it’s probably telling me I pushed the limits of what the reel can handle. I definitely hit more sticks and stuff that I wanted to.

I do not have a single weed in the yard thanks to indaziflam in October.

The Bermuda is just barely trying to wake up.

This scalp was too early but I couldn’t help myself. I’ll do it again at 0.1 inches soon.

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

3/24

Dissolved a 6 oz Tournament Ready pellet in a gallon of water and applied 8oz per M to my front and back yard with a sprayer and the red AI teejet nozzle. Watered it in real well after. I’m hoping this will get the water flowing better with my drip irrigation and avoid the green lines that developed last season.

This is how I’m looking right now. HOC is 0.4 inches

Topic Author
Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter

Post by Dangerlawn »

Officially giving up on the turf drip as of today. I just can’t handle the spotted appearance and green lines. If I could do it again I would have picked the 0.9 GPH instead of 0.26 GPH and I would not have used propane to warm the tubes before connecting (they tend to leak easier when you do this)

I’m back to dragging hoses with the MP rotators... but at least I know the water coverage will be good. I’m only really focused on 4,700 square foot at the moment, so it shouldn’t be too bad. If it becomes unmanageable I’ll have to look into “real” irrigation.

I’ll still be using drip to water my flowers, shrubs and the long driveway strip of turf which is about 3 foot by 200 foot.