Safe Urea Application

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Safe Urea Application

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 pm

I would like to apply a spoon feeding of urea by dissolving it and spraying it with the spreadermate. My only concern with this is overlap. What would be an effective application(weight per gallon) but yet safe if accidentally overlapped?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Re: Safe Urea Application

Post by Green » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 pm
I would like to apply a spoon feeding of urea by dissolving it and spraying it with the spreadermate. My only concern with this is overlap. What would be an effective application(weight per gallon) but yet safe if accidentally overlapped?
I would target 0.10 lb/M of Nitrogen.

Figure out how big an area you're spraying. Then use a gallon of water per thousand square feet, and calculate how much urea you need for a tenth of a pound of Nitrogen per one thousand square feet, and then multiply that by how many thousands (and gallons) you'll be spraying on one tank fill.

FYI, that rate would use 0.2 lb of urea per thousand (or 3.4 ounces if you're weighing in ounces). So, you'll get 5,000 square feet out of every pound. But again, you should be using a full gallon per thousand.

It's the same calculation as any other urea application, except the rates are lower because water is the carrier.

It can also help to have some warm water to get it dissolved, and then you can fill the rest with cold after dissolving.
Last edited by Green on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 pm
If you do a double pass overspray shouldn't be of a big concern. Double the water and do 2 passes in 90 degrees. If watered in immediately, even this may not be necessary. I have done (in our cool weather now) 2 apps at 0.2N/M and had very good results. I wouldn't waste time at 0.1 this time of the year. In very hot summer day, this may be a good option to keep your grass up.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Babameca wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm
I have done (in our cool weather now) 2 apps at 0.2N/M and had very good results. I wouldn't waste time at 0.1 this time of the year. In very hot summer day, this may be a good option to keep your grass up.
I will be aiming for 0.2 as well this weekend, myself...but if Scag is concerned about doing it right with his sprayer the first time or two, it doesn't hurt to go lower. He could always do a second pass at 0.1 if all goes well (immediately or a few days later). There is no way that 0.1 is going to do much for my rust situation.
Last edited by Green on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 pm

@Green 100% agree.

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:41 am

All great information guys. I appreciate it. I’m looking to see if there is an immediate difference or advantage to spraying vs spreading. Has anyone added the urea with Humic or any GCF products?
Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harts
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG / PRG
Lawn Size: 2,500
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by Harts » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 am

Can't say I've noticed a difference between spreading vs foliar spray. It's just easier to spray on a small lawn.

I wouldn't worry about any overlapping. It's bound to happen and shouldn't cause any adverse effects.

I have kept my K4L blend separate and done as a soil application.