Advice to cover nieghbors ugly fence.

Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
jcs43920
Grass Type: Kentucky blue
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqt
Mower: Toro recycler

Advice to cover nieghbors ugly fence.

Post by jcs43920 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm

I need some advice on some landscaping around this fence. It is my neighbors and I cannot stain or paint it. Everything on my side of the fence is my property so I can landscape right up against it. So I need some suggestions to cover this up. It is approximately 120’ long and about 6 foot high. I don’t want to put another fence in front of it because the rest of my fence is 5 foot black by all coated chain link and I don’t think it would look good in front of it. What would you do? Ivy, ornamental grasses, trees, etc?

Sorry for the bad picture my lawn was tore up for a renovation when it was taken.
Last edited by jcs43920 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Re: Advice to cover nieghbors ugly fence.

Post by Babaganoosh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Did you talk to your neighbor about it at all?

FlowRider
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:17 pm

I recommend you look to make sure there are no utility easements or other restrictions along the property line.

Then, if it was my yard, I would plant those evergreens you have in the lower left hand corner of your picture all along the fence line. I think those are Leyland cypresses. I had the same problem once with a neighbor who built a screened porch right up to the edge of my property. I brought in a backhoe, dug up five holes to plant in, added bagged potting soil to the holes, and planted five Leyland cypresses right in the holes to screen off the porch.

It gave me back my privacy, and gave the neighbors theirs, so they could eat on the screen porch without being eyeballed, and I could live in my back yard without having uninvited people looking into my back yard. Win, win.

jcs43920
Grass Type: Kentucky blue
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqt
Mower: Toro recycler

Post by jcs43920 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 am

FlowRider wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:17 pm
I recommend you look to make sure there are no utility easements or other restrictions along the property line.

Then, if it was my yard, I would plant those evergreens you have in the lower left hand corner of your picture all along the fence line. I think those are Leyland cypresses. I had the same problem once with a neighbor who built a screened porch right up to the edge of my property. I brought in a backhoe, dug up five holes to plant in, added bagged potting soil to the holes, and planted five Leyland cypresses right in the holes to screen off the porch.

It gave me back my privacy, and gave the neighbors theirs, so they could eat on the screen porch without being eyeballed, and I could live in my back yard without having uninvited people looking into my back yard. Win, win.
Yep I talked to the township they said there is no easement and I can landscape right up to the property line which is exactly on the fence. I am going to take your advice and plant some evergreens 🌲. I may end up getting arbavatas since I have a source to get 4 footers for $25 a piece. I am also going to add in some tall ornamental grasses to incorporate in somehow and plant some English ivy on the fence. I may also put an arbor on it with a good flowering plant like a clematis to add some color in the summer and put a bench under it similar to this.

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Post by Babaganoosh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:31 pm

So you didn't talk to the neighbor?

krusej23
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 12,000 sq ft
Mower: JD D130

Post by krusej23 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 pm

If you haven't already, talk to your neighbor to see if they would let you stain your side of the fence.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:54 am

Just throwing additional ideas: if you don't want a straight hedge, I like when the landscape beds have curved edges, and varying depths of plants from the front of the bed to the back. I.e., a few of those arborvitaes as base plantings, but with shorter plants layered in front. Like this.