Toro 3100d HOC adjustment

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
joerob2211
Grass Type: Tif419
Lawn Size: 5000sqft
Mower: Cal Trimmer

Toro 3100d HOC adjustment

Post by joerob2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 am

I have been cutting at 1.5 inches on the 3100d. I am trying to get the HOC down to 1.25 but it will not go that low on the current settings. I am trying to figure out what setting the front and back rollers need to be set on based off the height increments on the side of the cutting units. I will also be paralleling the units. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a 1999 Toro 3100d sidewinder.

Thanks

MrMeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 33K Sq Ft
Mower: Toro 3100d

Re: Toro 3100d HOC adjustment

Post by MrMeaner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am

Look on both sides of each reel...you will see L-shaped pin(Circled in Red) held in by cotter pins along with a height range increment chart. The chart should be silver aluminum color. You can do this adjustment pretty easily with the reels installed on the machine, just lift them up off the ground. If you going to do fine heights adjustments and parallel adjustment it's easier to take them off the traction unit and do one at a time to dial things in.

What I do is take off the hydro-motor, undo the chain, undo the black rocker arms bolts(#82), then take off the reels and lift the reels onto a bench. They are very heavy to the tune of about 150+lbs each. Once on the ground or bench, the rollers are held on by a jam nut(circled in Blue), which must me loosened on both side first. Then pull the L-shaped pins and move the rollers up or down according to the desired height range chart(Circled in Yellow), reinstall the pins. Then you can make fine height adjustments using the #89 bolts and #77 jam nuts on this schematic pictured below.

One mans weed is another mans highly prized turf

MrMeaner

Post by MrMeaner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 am

Here is an actual picture of the reel. Jam nut circled in yellow. Major Height adjustment pins, fine adjustment bolts and depth silver gauge charts circled in red.

joerob2211

Post by joerob2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

MrMeaner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 am
Here is an actual picture of the reel. Jam nut circled in yellow. Major Height adjustment pins, fine adjustment bolts and depth silver gauge charts circled in red.

Yep that is exactly what mine looks like. Great explanation and I really appreciate it. I am going to tackle it this afternoon. If I am changing the height range on the rollers, do you feel like I need to parallel the rollers with only cutting at 1.25?

MrMeaner

Post by MrMeaner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

I never felt the need to purchase the crazy expensive tool to parallel the rollers. For that matter I'm not even sure how or where to adjust them to make them parallel. Obviously if you or previous owner hit something very hard and bent the reel frame or more likely the roller support brackets they could possible be out of parallel alignment. If you have not purchased the tool already, I suppose once you have the reels off and on a bench you can do some measuring. I would suggest measureing the distance on both sides of the reel rollers front to back. Maybe even, once the reel is upside down measure the distance from the inside of each roller on both side to the bedknives front or back edge.

The reels are very heavy duty. Unless your setting them up to cut very low on a fancy golf course, in my opinion, they don't have to be in ultra perfect parallel alignment. I would venture to say that's more of a golf course perfection adjustment than what your wanting for a cutting a home lawn or sports field.

Your profile says you have 5K of Tif419, is this what your cutting with this mower? Is your grass dormant in Dallas? 5K of turf will hardly get the machine warmed up before your done cutting :lol: :lol:

joerob2211

Post by joerob2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm

MrMeaner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am
I never felt the need to purchase the crazy expensive tool to parallel the rollers. For that matter I'm not even sure how or where to adjust them to make them parallel. Obviously if you or previous owner hit something very hard and bent the reel frame or more likely the roller support brackets they could possible be out of parallel alignment. If you have not purchased the tool already, I suppose once you have the reels off and on a bench you can do some measuring. I would suggest measureing the distance on both sides of the reel rollers front to back. Maybe even, once the reel is upside down measure the distance from the inside of each roller on both side to the bedknives front or back edge.

The reels are very heavy duty. Unless your setting them up to cut very low on a fancy golf course, in my opinion, they don't have to be in ultra perfect parallel alignment. I would venture to say that's more of a golf course perfection adjustment than what your wanting for a cutting a home lawn or sports field.

Your profile says you have 5K of Tif419, is this what your cutting with this mower? Is your grass dormant in Dallas? 5K of turf will hardly get the machine warmed up before your done cutting :lol: :lol:
I had my ag department make a bench plate so I did not have to buy it but I feel the same way you do about paralleling. Since I'm not cutting below an inch it probably wont make that big of a difference. No not my yard but I wish I had a big enough yard to use it because it is sweet. I am a high school baseball coach and talked my school into buying this mower from a local golf course that I know the sup. I am currently using it on the baseball field and in the summer/fall it will be used on the football field. It is a 1999 that had been sitting for 3 or 4 years and only has 1700 hours on it. Changed out the fluids and the golf course backlapped.

This picture is from a week and a half ago cut at 1.5". We have always just used a rotary mower.

joerob2211

Post by joerob2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Still working on getting those straight lines HAHAHA.

joerob2211

Post by joerob2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:37 pm

@MrMeaner i appreciate the help. I adjusted the back rollers and was able to mow at 1.25. That is what we will play on.

MrMeaner

Post by MrMeaner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 am

joerob2211 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:37 pm
@MrMeaner i appreciate the help. I adjusted the back rollers and was able to mow at 1.25. That is what we will play on.

Yes sir, your welcome!! Baseball fields looks awesome!! Let me know if you have any other questions..i would be happy to answer.