Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Post Reply
Chocolate Lab
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: north central Texas
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Fiskars reel, McLane 17ph7

Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chocolate Lab » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Trying to get something manual that won't give me washboarding. But in doing some searching, I read that the Mascot 6-blade 21" was hard to push through dense Bermuda. So I'm guessing 8 blades would be even harder.

Long shot, but has anyone tried this one? I couldn't find one review of this anywhere on the net.

I'm tempted to try it, but I'm afraid it would be too hard to push with that many blades on that wide a reel and I don't think I could return it.

Any thoughts?

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chris LI » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Here's a link to check out. It has one review.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/9864?gc ... YcEALw_wcB

Also, if you have deep pockets, the Hudson Star is a high end manual reel mower. It's an 11 blade reel, so you would get a real workout. At $2190, it's waaaaay up there.

CarolinaCuttin
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: South Carolina
Grass Type: Turf-Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000 sqft
Mower: John Deere D140

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by CarolinaCuttin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm

I know you aren’t asking about it, but it was mentioned so I thought I’d respond. I can tell you from personal experience that the Hudson Star is an incredible mower. Any manual reel mower will show washboarding if you are trying to take too much grass off in a single mowing. Staying on top of your mowing is key. I’ve used a $70 5-blade reel mower to maintain PRG at 0.5”, but I was mowing every other day and keeping my blades sharp with grinding and backlapping.

The Hudson Star allows adjustment all the way down to putting green height (0.125”). This is done using an adjustment knob which allows you to adjust it in increments of one one-thousandth of an inch.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:39 pm
Location: Fresno, CA
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Bermuda_Newbie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am

CarolinaCuttin wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
I know you aren’t asking about it, but it was mentioned so I thought I’d respond. I can tell you from personal experience that the Hudson Star is an incredible mower. Any manual reel mower will show washboarding if you are trying to take too much grass off in a single mowing. Staying on top of your mowing is key. I’ve used a $70 5-blade reel mower to maintain PRG at 0.5”, but I was mowing every other day and keeping my blades sharp with grinding and backlapping.

The Hudson Star allows adjustment all the way down to putting green height (0.125”). This is done using an adjustment knob which allows you to adjust it in increments of one one-thousandth of an inch.
How difficult was it to push through the grass? I'm curious about the Hudson Star (as if I need another mower...)

Chocolate Lab
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: north central Texas
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Fiskars reel, McLane 17ph7

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chocolate Lab » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm
Here's a link to check out. It has one review.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/9864?gc ... YcEALw_wcB
Thanks but that's the Mascot 21.... That's the one I read was very hard to push and it's just 6 blades. That's another reservation, though... Someone not too far from me has a used one of those for sale and it would cost way less than the $344 Promow.

Probably won't try the Promow. Probably too risky. Plus the handle doesnt look as heavy duty as the Mascot.

I'm cheap so the Hudson Star is probably a no fo for me. :). I did see where the Dallas craigslist has an old Ramses Certes manual greens mower -- I think 12 blades? -- for like $300, though...

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chris LI » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Oops! Sorry, I got mixed up with the mention of the 6 and 8 blade reels when Google searching and looked up the wrong one. My apologies. :sorry:

CarolinaCuttin
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: South Carolina
Grass Type: Turf-Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000 sqft
Mower: John Deere D140

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by CarolinaCuttin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am
CarolinaCuttin wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
I know you aren’t asking about it, but it was mentioned so I thought I’d respond. I can tell you from personal experience that the Hudson Star is an incredible mower. Any manual reel mower will show washboarding if you are trying to take too much grass off in a single mowing. Staying on top of your mowing is key. I’ve used a $70 5-blade reel mower to maintain PRG at 0.5”, but I was mowing every other day and keeping my blades sharp with grinding and backlapping.

The Hudson Star allows adjustment all the way down to putting green height (0.125”). This is done using an adjustment knob which allows you to adjust it in increments of one one-thousandth of an inch.
How difficult was it to push through the grass? I'm curious about the Hudson Star (as if I need another mower...)

It depends on how long the grass is. I used it to mow TifGrand at between 0.250” and 0.350”. The TifGrand was well regulated with shots of Primo every 10-14 days. It was no problem to get a nice clean cut on it. The Hudson Star is great for maintaining grass, but it would be almost impossible to do a hard scalp (like before overseeding) in one pass. You would need to do it in multiple steps slowly lowering the HOC. Keep in mind the max HOC is about 0.700”. I would recommend a height gauge to keep up with the HOC, you don’t know how higher or low it is set without it. Clip rate is fantastic, unmatched by any other manual reel mower. You can probably get away with grinding once a year assuming you aren’t mowing through sand or other dulling materials.

Chocolate Lab
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: north central Texas
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Fiskars reel, McLane 17ph7

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chocolate Lab » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Chris LI wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm
Oops! Sorry, I got mixed up with the mention of the 6 and 8 blade reels when Google searching and looked up the wrong one. My apologies. :sorry:
That's ok, I appreciate the response. I didn't really expect this thread to get any action at all. :thumbup:

Gilley11
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: JD rider

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Gilley11 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 am

What have you read about the Fiskars? All of the reviews that I've seen say that it's easy to push......and the price is right.

Chocolate Lab
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: north central Texas
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Fiskars reel, McLane 17ph7

Re: Promow manual push 21" 8-blade reel...

Post by Chocolate Lab » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:15 am

I have a Fiskars and it's great... Except that when I renovated my lawn this year with a high quality Bermuda that got thick and dense I started getting some washboarding because it only has five blades. On the common Bermuda and Maya in my back yard it still mows perfectly. (I like it enough that when my Lowes closed them out I bought a couple extra, one to keep and one to sell or give away.)

Post Reply