Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Lawnman1985
Grass Type: KBG TALL FRSCUE RYE GRASS
Lawn Size: 6000 square feet
Mower: Toro recycler

What to do in spring after fall renovation

Post by Lawnman1985 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am

Hello,
So I did a full lawn rehab in sept 2019. Aerated dethatched and 1/2 inch loam and seeded with kbg fescue rye mix. Came out greAt compared to what I had. I wonder if I should do 2 applications of pre-m in April ? I did have a bad crabgrass problem. Just wondering if anyone knows if the pre-m will hurt the new grass I put down in sept. Thanks for any input. Pics below of rehab before and after

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E & Toro Recycler

Re: What to do in spring after fall renovation

Post by SNOWBOB11 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am

Won’t hurt the new grass and you definitely should put down a pre emergent. However if your doing split apps don’t do them both in April. Do the second app 1.5-2 month after the first and it should keep you mostly crabgrass free until you put down your 3rd app later in the season.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm

I did prem in my reno around late November and I plan to do a split application in spring. It wont hurt the lawn as long as you follow the label rates.

The after pictures look good.

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Your lawn looks great. Did you figure out why the previous lawn declined? Judging by the white blooms on the hydrangeas in the first pic, it looks like the pics are from late July? Do you think it was lack of water and curious if you have plan for the irrigation? Either way, nice job!

Lawnman1985
Grass Type: KBG TALL FRSCUE RYE GRASS
Lawn Size: 6000 square feet
Mower: Toro recycler

Post by Lawnman1985 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 am

Thanks for the input guys. Ya first pic was from July and I do have irrigation, but 90% of heads were broken and I replaced them. Also was not watering correctly as I was only doing 15 mins per zone twice a week. I bought the house December 2018 and neighbors say previous owner didn’t do anything except mow every 2 weeks, and really low. They also had 2 dogs. I plan on doing the same exact thing next September to thicken everything up. Appreciate again any input.

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Not sure how detailed you want to get but here's a good discussion on water

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12132

It helps to get an idea what the evapotranspiration rates are in your area. Here's a national link to get you started but best to see if you can get local reporting (like from a university).

https://www.weather.gov/ict/Evapotranspiration