Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Southern Lawn
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

When to apply fungicide

Post by Southern Lawn »

Afternoon. I laid Zeon zoysia back in November. The last several days have been really wet and /I am concerned about fungus in the new turf. I realize that it roots slowly this time of year, but when is it possible to apply something. I do not want to apply fungicide to early and damage the turf.

Thanks

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Re: When to apply fungicide

Post by corneliani »

Generally fungicides ideally get applied in the fall, as temps start cooling down (think mid-late Sept, into Oct). For spring disease suppression you can apply as the turf starts growing (March into April). This allows for the plant to absorb the chemical and protect itself from the aggressive rhizoctonia fungi. If you suspect you have fungus try to keep nitrogen off of it until the diseases pressure passes, typically into May. I'm using Atlanta weather but that should match up with yours pretty well I think.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 29603 sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

corneliani wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Generally fungicides ideally get applied in the fall, as temps start cooling down (think mid-late Sept, into Oct). For spring disease suppression you can apply as the turf starts growing (March into April). This allows for the plant to absorb the chemical and protect itself from the aggressive rhizoctonia fungi. If you suspect you have fungus try to keep nitrogen off of it until the diseases pressure passes, typically into May. I'm using Atlanta weather but that should match up with yours pretty well I think.
For me it's April to September. St Augustine is horrible with fungus problems
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

Rammy1546
Grass Type: Zorro Back Meyer/Bermuda front
Lawn Size: 15k sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR Rotary

Post by Rammy1546 »

@CenlaLowell It’s horrible. Especially in shade. I feel like st augustine never ever looks great because it’s always has a tan tint to it from fungus, too much water, not enough water, chinch bugs, etc...!
"Complete Backyard RENO - St Aug to Zoysia"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14840

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 29603 sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

Rammy1546 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 pm
@CenlaLowell It’s horrible. Especially in shade. I feel like st augustine never ever looks great because it’s always has a tan tint to it from fungus, too much water, not enough water, chinch bugs, etc...!
Every year I will have a fungus problem if I didn't spray. Azoxystrobin, Propiconazole are life savers.
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

sabanist
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 1/2 acr
Mower: Toro push mower

Post by sabanist »

I just got some Propiconozole today. I show signs of brown patch in an area of my front yard. So should I NOT treat til spring, or go ahead an apply the curative rate?

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani »

Turf-affecting fungus usually occurs in hot/humid (wet) weather, when nighttime temps are in the 60's and above. That describes our past couple weeks, but going forward it looks to be cooling down significantly meaning no disease pressure. Fungicide is 'forward-looking' in that regard.. it needs to be applied in anticipation of disease-pressure situations.