Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
alpine0000
Grass Type: PRG/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 7500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM 1600 & Toro Turfmaster

Why is my KBG / PRG yellow?

Post by alpine0000 »

And just some of the blades. But enough of them are yellow to make the lawn look yellow from the street passing by.

Is this just normal for winter? Fungus? Rust? Mowed too short for winter? (1 inch) Lack of nutrients? Too much water (we got tons of rain the past month)? Something else?

We've had very mild temps this winter. No snow yet.

Mix of KBG and PRG.

Last edited by alpine0000 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Anti-Rebel
Grass Type: Every Type
Lawn Size: 10K
Mower: Toro Timecutter

Re: Why is my KBG / PRG yellow?

Post by The Anti-Rebel »

Dormancy. Completely normal.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

That looks like partial dormancy with maybe a slight bit of fungus mixed in. With this mild winter, I think a lot of us are seeing similar conditions. The turf seems a little confused on full dormancy. I think you will be ok (and I hope the rest of us, too).

I'm curious as to how many others are seeing similar conditions, so please chime in if you are in the same boat.

Captquin
Grass Type: Front TTTF Blend; Back: KBG
Lawn Size: 20.000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Post by Captquin »

Same. Has greened up more here recently

JP900++
Grass Type: KBG & KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqf
Mower: Scrappy rotary

Post by JP900++ »

Seeing some of that too. No where near as much as my neighbors though. PGR? Newer grass?

npompei
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: John Deere 52" Walk Behind

Post by npompei »

I have a full PRG new construction lawn (put down this past fall) and it is LIME green right now. Like, crazy lime color. I call it lime but it's very yellowish-green. I'm hoping it's because it's new grass and it's dormant. Of course, here in PA we've had the mildest winter I can ever remember.

I've oddly got some darker sections around the outsides and sporadically here and there in other places? I'm not sure if that's where I wasn't able to get as much Nitrogen down? Which would seem weird. Maybe it gets less sun in those spots but that may not make as much sense either?!

So let's see what happens...

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port »

Chris LI wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm
I'm curious as to how many others are seeing similar conditions, so please chime in if you are in the same boat.
Similar to OP, though as pronounced and considerably patchier. I think distinguishing dormancy from disease is difficult. This winter, I have noted much less color loss, and I think disease has been present.

2L8
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG and P. supina
Lawn Size: 4000 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary

Post by 2L8 »

Even though I live thousands of miles away from you on another continent (Europe), I observe the same conditions and effects. The winter has been extremely mild without snow but about the double than average amount of rain in February. And most parts of the lawn have a lot of dead leafs. One part on January, 25th, 2020:

But this happened already in late October, as always. Maybe a fungus like leaf spot.

That the left and upper part are greener has a simple reason. The left part received urea in the middle of December and the upper in the beginning of January. The parts where the nitrogen blitz stroke in September and October are also a lot greener (urea put down on the right):

I used urea the first time last year, but I looks like it can keep the grass much greener during the winter. But this winter isn't normal and I can't predict how the lawn will react to urea in a cold winter covered with snow.

Another part of the lawn has less dead leaves now. This is an area in the shadow with mainly Poa supina. But Poa supina is light yellowish green:

Last edited by 2L8 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

86halibut
Grass Type: KBG front/TTTF back
Lawn Size: 3k
Mower: HR215/Push Reel

Post by 86halibut »

my KBG looks the same (2-2.75inch), maybe a bit worse since it was trampled on during the winter by workers. Sadly some of the neglected fescue lawns even look greener/better and they are at least 3inches. As a noob, my guesses are something to do with mowing height and/or my late apps of Urea (possibly pushed some new growth or did not harden properly before winter)
noob

mattcavrak
Grass Type: fescue, rye, blugrass
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: toro 50'' riding mower

Post by mattcavrak »

What do you guys think caused this. Its the edge of a cool season mix athletic field in MD

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

...just a guess by looking at the corner flag, there was more fertilizer applied to the field and a few feet around the perimeter, so it stayed greener, longer.

mattcavrak
Grass Type: fescue, rye, blugrass
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: toro 50'' riding mower

Post by mattcavrak »

Chris LI wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm
...just a guess by looking at the corner flag, there was more fertilizer applied to the field and a few feet around the perimeter, so it stayed greener, longer.
thats what I thought. thanks