Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
dslab
Grass Type: Bermuda (front 419/side seeded
Lawn Size: 16,000 sq ft
Mower: 52" riding lawn rower

5 gallon backpack sprayer?

Post by dslab »

I currently have a 4-gallon backpack sprayer that works fine. But If I had a 5 gallon I would have to refill one less time to spray my entire yard - and the time to remeasure product and refill really slows me down. Does anyone have a 5-gallon backpack sprayer they recommend? I'm sure it is pretty heavy when it's full, but I'm up for the challenge to save some time!

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: 5 gallon backpack sprayer?

Post by Ware »

dslab wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 am
I currently have a 4-gallon backpack sprayer that works fine. But If I had a 5 gallon I would have to refill one less time to spray my entire yard - and the time to remeasure product and refill really slows me down. Does anyone have a 5-gallon backpack sprayer they recommend? I'm sure it is pretty heavy when it's full, but I'm up for the challenge to save some time!
I don’t have any 5-gallon sprayer recommendations, but alternatively you could try stepping down a nozzle size.

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: California Trimmer 20"

Post by Gilley11 »

Solo makes a battery 5 gallon sprayer:

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-416-Li-Batt ... 579&sr=8-1

Topic Author
dslab
Grass Type: Bermuda (front 419/side seeded
Lawn Size: 16,000 sq ft
Mower: 52" riding lawn rower

Post by dslab »

Ware wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am
dslab wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 am
I don’t have any 5-gallon sprayer recommendations, but alternatively you could try stepping down a nozzle size.
@ware When you say step down a nozzle size are you referencing a nozzle that will put out the liquid slower? Right now I am typically putting down the product (prodiamine or PGR) at the recommended rate with 1 gallon of water per 1,000 sq ft. I have 15,000 sq ft, so I have to fill my 4-gallon sprayer 4 different times to cover my entire yard. Are you suggesting with a different nozzle I would, in theory, be trying to use 1 gallon of water per 2,000 sq ft?

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

@dslab yes, you could reduce your carrier rate by selecting a nozzle with a slightly smaller orifice.

For example, at 0.75 gallon per thousand your 4 gallon tank would cover about 5.3k - so 3 fills to cover 15k.