Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY
Grass Type: Tifway bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000sqft
Mower: Mclane reel mower

Ready to give up!

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

I’m pretty frustrated over here. I don’t know why my bermuda takes so long to thrive and why I can’t kill off the rye quick enough in the spring. I live in Scottsdale. I scalped my lawn about a month ago in the back yard and dethatched and at that time I though for sure this would stress the Rye, sure enough some of it is hanging around and now dying out. I also have some dirt patches where my Bermuda isn’t filling in. I’m at the end of my rope, and I feel like the sod I got was poor or something else is wrong. I water 2in a week, it gets plenty of sunlight I used fertilizer but it just feels so slow to spread and fill in.

HELP where do I Start?!

p1muserfan
Grass Type: Bermuda front, Zoysia back
Lawn Size: 3500 sq. ft.
Mower: 21" gas, Earthwise push

Re: Ready to give up!

Post by p1muserfan »

Pictures please if you can

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

How are you watering? 2" sounds good but you may need to spread it out a little if the grass looks stressed. That whole "water more but less often" is the correct thing to do unless you have very porous soil. My soil is very sandy so I have to water more often and I also start "syringing" in late-April/early-May to cool the turf down in the middle of the day. My sprinklers will come on for 5 minutes per zone at 12:00PM and again at 3:00PM. It's amazing what just spritzing the tops to cool it down will do for your turf. Like @p1muserfan asked... send pictures. We should be able to tell a lot from the pictures.

rjw0283
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4700 SQ FT
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Craftsman POS

Post by rjw0283 »

Does this happen every year? Or is this the first spring with new sod? I have a pretty big section in my yard that takes a while to fill in because I have a huge dead tree root and lots of debris in the ground, a few weeks ago I dug up a brick that was about 6 inches in the ground, anything that is in the ground will prevent bermuda from deep rooting which delays it from greening up. It takes about 1 month after everything is greened up and growing before it spreads to some of those areas, unless I get a back hoe and go to town, that's the way it is, from time to time, I'll probe in the ground in the spring and see if I can dig whatever it is preventing green up, but without complete digging stuff up, that's the way it is. Not saying this is you're problem, but maybe..

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

What have your temps been recently? What kind of fertilizer and how much did you put down? 2" of water a week seems kind of excessive to me unless you are getting 95+ temps in your area. Since you didn't spray out the Rye grass it is competing for nutrients with the bermuda so most likely it won't take off until the Rye is completely dead. The key to a nice lawn is patience and perseverance. You have bermuda, so it will come back, you just have to be patient, if having a nice lawn was easy then TLF wouldn't exist and everyone would have one.

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

ImageOur temps have been consistently over 95 for atleast 20+ days. I used ammonium sulphate which is supposed to hinder the rye and prop the Bermuda about a month ago. When I water I water Mon Wed Fri, 10 min a zone 3 times, which gets me to 2 in a week. You can see in my pictures, the front yard, light green is bermuda, dark is rye and the dirt spots. The backyard is more Bermuda but still lacking in some bald spots.

I never thought of a 5 min spritz to cool it off.

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

Front yard:

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc »

Your soil looks like sand. EOD when it is that hot may not be enough

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

rjw0283 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm
Does this happen every year? Or is this the first spring with new sod? I have a pretty big section in my yard that takes a while to fill in because I have a huge dead tree root and lots of debris in the ground, a few weeks ago I dug up a brick that was about 6 inches in the ground, anything that is in the ground will prevent bermuda from deep rooting which delays it from greening up. It takes about 1 month after everything is greened up and growing before it spreads to some of those areas, unless I get a back hoe and go to town, that's the way it is, from time to time, I'll probe in the ground in the spring and see if I can dig whatever it is preventing green up, but without complete digging stuff up, that's the way it is. Not saying this is you're problem, but maybe..
This is my 3 summer with this tifway, 2nd summer after rye grass. In the front yard I pulled out a huge root from an older tree yesterday, but honestly the grass was growing perfect around it. I was using. Long screw driver in some of the non active areas and there were a few spots where every 3 inches there was a rock or some
Type of debris under the ground, would you guys dig it up?

A little more back story, last year my Bermuda didn’t really take off until mid July, it’s doing better then last year around this time but I’m just frustrated because we have essentially hd 3 solid weeks of 95+

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 pm
What have your temps been recently? What kind of fertilizer and how much did you put down? 2" of water a week seems kind of excessive to me unless you are getting 95+ temps in your area. Since you didn't spray out the Rye grass it is competing for nutrients with the bermuda so most likely it won't take off until the Rye is completely dead. The key to a nice lawn is patience and perseverance. You have bermuda, so it will come back, you just have to be patient, if having a nice lawn was easy then TLF wouldn't exist and everyone would have one.
I also added some iron. I have TNEX but I haven’t used it yet, I wasn’t sure if I should wait for it to fill in first. Thoughts?

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

Greendoc wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 pm
Your soil looks like sand. EOD when it is that hot may not be enough
I’m sorry what’s EOD?

PhxHeat
Grass Type: Big Box Store Bermuda and PRG
Lawn Size: 9,000 sqft
Mower: Honda HRR / 90s Mclane project

Post by PhxHeat »

every other day

Greendoc
TLF Supporter

Post by Greendoc »

Every other day. Reel low grass might need more water than that. I would also look at how evenly your irrigation waters. 10 minutes 3 x per week suggests the 15 ft radius fixed spray sprinklers. Less than head to head coverage on that may cause a problem

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

I am thinking I need to increase water, I am going to try that.

What can you spray to kill Rye Grass? Is it something that won’t hurt my fruit trees?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter

Post by Greendoc »

Revolver or Celsius is ok. Do not allow it to drift. You also know that there is more to fertilizing Bermuda than Nitrogen right?. On reel low Bermuda, it has a need for P and K in addition to N. What I see in the pictures is grass that has received too much N.

Tellycoleman
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda
Lawn Size: 22,000
Mower: Toro 1600

Post by Tellycoleman »

I am a firm believer that you should Kill off your rye grass every year and not wait for the bermuda and rye to box it out. Rye grass can be allelopathic. Which means it can release chemicals to fight the bermuda or any other competing grass. I’m surprised at 95 degrees its still hanging on. Are you sure your getting 2 inches of water? Have you done a tuna can test?

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

Greendoc wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:54 pm
Revolver or Celsius is ok. Do not allow it to drift. You also know that there is more to fertilizing Bermuda than Nitrogen right?. On reel low Bermuda, it has a need for P and K in addition to N. What I see in the pictures is grass that has received too much N.
Can you recommend a fertilizer? And where can I buy it?

Topic Author
AZLAWNGUY

Post by AZLAWNGUY »

Tellycoleman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm
I am a firm believer that you should Kill off your rye grass every year and not wait for the bermuda and rye to box it out. Rye grass can be allelopathic. Which means it can release chemicals to fight the bermuda or any other competing grass. I’m surprised at 95 degrees its still hanging on. Are you sure your getting 2 inches of water? Have you done a tuna can test?
How do you kill it?

I have multiple water gauges in the lawn and I rotate them every week and check.

TN Hawkeye
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye »

I agree with @Tellycoleman in the backyard every brown area is surrounded by dark green. Looks to me like the rye won in those areas. Same in the front for the most part.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Buffalolawny
Grass Type: Buffalo/St Augustine
Lawn Size: 200sq mtr
Mower: Victa corvette

Post by Buffalolawny »

Sulphate Of Ammonia is good for the growth of green leafy stuff either on vegies, crops, lawns etc.

But does nothing for the roots or soil underneath. You have the green in the lawn looking ok.

If you have done the "tuna can" and getting the correct amount of water. That's good

Guessing you should raise the height of cut a bit and see if the lawn starts to take off with more of the photosynthesis happening. Dig and level some Slow Release potting mix into the soil where the dead spots are. And where it looks like you aerated a bit in the backyard. The potting mix should help hold the moisture in the soil for longer.

Use a soil wetter that allows the the water to penetrate and attract to the organic matter in the soil and around the grass roots.