Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
derowe82
Grass Type: PRG/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Push mower

Little League baseball field.

Post by derowe82 »

Hey guys, so as many have been effected by COVID-19, Our baseball season has been canceled until next year. Our baseball field is in kind of rough shape around the dugouts and behind the backstop, so I’d like to do some work, and even in the infield. Mainly full of crabgrass right now and other weeds, dandelions, etc. It’s so bad that once crabgrass and weeds are killed/removed, it will be pretty bare. Infield has decent grass, but around dugouts don’t.

I plan to weed and feed(granules) soon and spread new grass seed in the fall, but I do not have any source of running water at that field(so no hose end sprayers)but I do have a 3gallon hand sprayer. What are my options for killing crabgrass, and dandelions, and then overseeding?

Weed and feed I believe is only good for next year, correct? Or does Scotts weed and feed take care of current weeds.

The main part of this, is how can I do this on somewhat of a budget? The baseball board isnt going to drop top dollar, nor are they looking for a premium baseball field, but some thing a little better than what’s up there at the moment.

Your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

M32075
Grass Type: Ft prg. Bk zoysia cool season
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Craftsman rotary

Re: Little League baseball field.

Post by M32075 »

Bump
Front Hancock PRG ,summer tall fescue mix. Backyard zoysia and cool season mix.

ksturfguy
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20,000 sqft
Mower: Gravely Pro-Stance

Post by ksturfguy »

Weed and feed is good for current weeds but isnt near as effective as a liquid in my opinion but if you dont have access to a hose or backpack sprayer its probably your best option.

Wiley
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Mix
Lawn Size: 7,000 sq ft
Mower: Gravely/Honda HRR

Post by Wiley »

Sometimes removing the grass in the high traffic areas by the dugouts and around home plate is an option. You can get creative with the edging and walkways. If you don't have access to water this may be your best option.

Topic Author
derowe82

Post by derowe82 »

So, I bought some WeedBGon concentrate and roundup to start the weed killing process.

I guess someone else on the baseball board spread seed about 2 weeks ago. I feel it’s a bit too late for the grass to last, but if I spray WeedBGon, will it kill freshly germinated grass, or destroy the existing seed that’s laying on the dirt?

Also, I bought starter first. Would it be pointless to spread that fert? 21-22-0 I believe. Would that same first help existing grass as well?

Can I lay fert and weedbgon at same time?

Thanks

Topic Author
derowe82

Post by derowe82 »

derowe82 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:43 pm
So, I bought some WeedBGon concentrate and roundup to start the weed killing process. I also have a 3gal backpack sprayer.

I guess someone else on the baseball board spread seed about 2 weeks ago. I feel it’s a bit too late for the grass to last(especially without water up there)but if I spray WeedBGon, will it kill freshly germinated grass, or destroy the existing seed that’s laying on the dirt?

Also, I bought starter first. Would it be pointless to spread that fert? 21-22-0 I believe. Would that same first help existing grass as well?

Can I lay fert and weedbgon at same time?

Thanks

Harts
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG / PRG
Lawn Size: 2,500
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by Harts »

Check label for when this can be used on newly seeded turf. I want to say 3-4 mowings before it can be safely used.

Topic Author
derowe82

Post by derowe82 »

Harts wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm
Check label for when this can be used on newly seeded turf. I want to say 3-4 mowings before it can be safely used.
You talking about the WeedBGon? Problem is the grass isn’t growing so I feel like I’m not gonna hurt anything except wait a little bit of money on the cheap grass seed that they bought.

I think an over seed in the fall will be better than what they have down now