Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
southernbuckeye
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10 acres
Mower: John Deere

Clippings after fert

Post by southernbuckeye »

Normally I don’t pick up my TifTuf clippings as I figure they have some good stuff for the grass in them and they generally fade away quickly. However, the insane amount of rain we’ve had lately has left me with an issue, I put down fertilizer right before the last downpours and got so much growth before I could mow again now I’ve got a bit of a hazy layer of clippings on top. I figure these are loaded with N so on the one hand I’d like to keep them out there but on the other I’m naturally worried they’ll do more harm than good covering things up. What’s the best practice here?

DoubleBarrel
Grass Type: Empire Zoysia
Lawn Size: .26/ac - house, etc,
Mower: Tru Cut P20

Re: Clippings after fert

Post by DoubleBarrel »

Best? I’ll let a pro respond but I’d hit the yard with the leaf blower, breaking up the thicker clumps/layer of clippings and call it a day.

zenmower
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: JD JS20, Honda Harmony 215

Post by zenmower »

Lately I have been making two passes, even with my recent mulch blade addition.

First pass is no bag then second pass is with the bag to pickup remaining clippings.
This pickups the clippings that fell on top and I dump the extra in wife's flower bed.

The 2 passes are at different angles.

Topic Author
southernbuckeye
Lawn Size: 10 acres
Mower: John Deere

Post by southernbuckeye »

Thanks guys I’ve already made multiple passes so I think I’ll break out the bagger today. More raining coming later today and all week. Gonna get back to work on building my Ark too 🤦🏻‍♂️

jasonbraswell
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: Zero turn

Post by jasonbraswell »

I found that raising the deck up to 3" or so on the 2nd pass really spreads clippings a lot better than keeping the deck at the same level. A fan action vs the mower trying to recut the clippings.