Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

Greendoc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:27 pm
Happens in 24-48 hours
Here’s 24 hours comparison: thanks @Greendoc for the recipe I’m impressed after 24 hours. I’m more impressed because I was already green and it pushed it to the next level. 48 hours I’ll post another update, I’ll be really impressed if it gets even darker.

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by FedDawg555 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Awar
TLF Supporter
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: ATL area, GA
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,200 sq-ft
Mower: Swardman Edwin 2.1 55

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Awar »

Wow that's impressive for just 24 hrs! :thumbup:

I added 3 oz/k Main Event and 3 oz/k 20-20-20 to my PGR app this morning. I went light as I'm going to throw down my monthly granular fert app mid week and it also contains some iron.

Maybe mid next week I'll go all-in like you if I don't have the deep green that I'm looking for.
My bermudagrass lawn journal - from sod (2016) to present: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18372

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

Awar wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 pm
Wow that's impressive for just 24 hrs! :thumbup:

I added 3 oz/k Main Event and 3 oz/k 20-20-20 to my PGR app this morning. I went light as I'm going to throw down my monthly granular fert app mid week and it also contains some iron.

Maybe mid next week I'll go all-in like you if I don't have the deep green that I'm looking for.
Yeah it’s been fun playing with this mixture. I will say mixing the Jacks and Feature in hot water is a must for theses quantities to get a complete Dissolved mix. Sprayed it with the red XR tee jets no problem.

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

So here is 48 hours later pic on right. Pic on left is at 24 hours. Definitely darker at the 48 hour mark.
On a side note you can definitely see the Tiftuf vs the 419 on the hill shot and the cultivar split clear as day.

Image


Image

Image

Image

Bermuda_Triangle
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Location: Atlanta
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14000
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Bermuda_Triangle »

@FedDawg555 which cultivar do you prefer?

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

Bermuda_Triangle wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm
@FedDawg555 which cultivar do you prefer?
Tiftuf by a mile. That hill get lots of shade in afternoon so I went with it there. If I could go back a year I would have don’t Tiftuf everywhere.

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

FedDawg555 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 pm
Bermuda_Triangle wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm
@FedDawg555 which cultivar do you prefer?
Tiftuf by a mile. That hill get lots of shade in afternoon so I went with it there. If I could go back a year I would have don’t Tiftuf everywhere.
Tiftuf greened up a month earlier than 419
Holds color better than 419 Even in drought conditions like last summer and shows stress less.
Requires way less water and the roots just seem to dive deeper too. I like the dense blades better. Personally it’s tough SOB cultivar imo.

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 pm
Location: Hawaii
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Greendoc »

419 is not the best Bermuda for a home lawn for many reasons. It was meant for open areas with no buildings, trees, and a staff capable of attending to its agronomic needs.

Bermuda_Triangle
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Location: Atlanta
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14000
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Bermuda_Triangle »

Greendoc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 pm
419 is not the best Bermuda for a home lawn for many reasons. It was meant for open areas with no buildings, trees, and a staff capable of attending to its agronomic needs.
Any reason why almost every builder in GA chooses to lay 419 sod? Is it availability, price...etc?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 pm
Location: Hawaii
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Greendoc »

Availability and price. In Hawaii, one variety of Zoysia is installed by builders, landscapers etc even though it is nematode susceptible, does not do well in shade, cool weather, or rain. Availability and price.

corneliani
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:24 am
Location: NE Atlanta suburbs
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by corneliani »

It’s an interesting cycle, this price/availability vs demand circle. If you get a quote as a builder for landscaping it’s almost assumed that you’re going with 419, unless you specify otherwise. There are multiple local farms that grow it because, well, that’s what’s being requested by the landscapers ... and the landscapers request it because, well, that’s what’s readily available and cheap. Breaking these cycles require some strong outside forces. Same thing pertains to fertilizers .. it‘s all the same thing until finally there’s enough demand to get the big boys to change up their product line.

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

corneliani wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 am
It’s an interesting cycle, this price/availability vs demand circle. If you get a quote as a builder for landscaping it’s almost assumed that you’re going with 419, unless you specify otherwise. There are multiple local farms that grow it because, well, that’s what’s being requested by the landscapers ... and the landscapers request it because, well, that’s what’s readily available and cheap. Breaking these cycles require some strong outside forces. Same thing pertains to fertilizers .. it‘s all the same thing until finally there’s enough demand to get the big boys to change up their product line.
That’s exactly what happened to me...when we hired the company to put the yard back together after the pool build they quoted Bermuda sod. I didn’t ask more questions so I got 419 and that’s my fault. However a month later when we repaired the hill side I made sure to get Tiftuf. Lesson learned. I’m hoping in a few years when the 419 is more mature and established its high maintenance will diminish. But right now it’s like a whiney little spoiled baby crying all the time. Needs constant attention. The tiftuf is like a grown adult. Doesn’t need much but some food and cutting.

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 pm
Location: Hawaii
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by Greendoc »

FedDawg555 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am
corneliani wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 am
It’s an interesting cycle, this price/availability vs demand circle. If you get a quote as a builder for landscaping it’s almost assumed that you’re going with 419, unless you specify otherwise. There are multiple local farms that grow it because, well, that’s what’s being requested by the landscapers ... and the landscapers request it because, well, that’s what’s readily available and cheap. Breaking these cycles require some strong outside forces. Same thing pertains to fertilizers .. it‘s all the same thing until finally there’s enough demand to get the big boys to change up their product line.
That’s exactly what happened to me...when we hired the company to put the yard back together after the pool build they quoted Bermuda sod. I didn’t ask more questions so I got 419 and that’s my fault. However a month later when we repaired the hill side I made sure to get Tiftuf. Lesson learned. I’m hoping in a few years when the 419 is more mature and established its high maintenance will diminish. But right now it’s like a whiney little spoiled baby crying all the time. Needs constant attention. The tiftuf is like a grown adult. Doesn’t need much but some food and cutting.
419 is for the golf fairway or sports field with the Super and his crew giving it constant attention. That is not really going to change over time. There are almost no 419 lawns in Hawaii. Too fragile.

User avatar
Topic Author
FedDawg555
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Athens, GA
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf+419+Common
Lawn Size: 14200
Mower: Toro GM 1600+Ferris Z

Re: Feature 6-0-0 Max Rate You’ve Used?

Post by FedDawg555 »

Greendoc wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:32 pm
FedDawg555 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am
corneliani wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 am
It’s an interesting cycle, this price/availability vs demand circle. If you get a quote as a builder for landscaping it’s almost assumed that you’re going with 419, unless you specify otherwise. There are multiple local farms that grow it because, well, that’s what’s being requested by the landscapers ... and the landscapers request it because, well, that’s what’s readily available and cheap. Breaking these cycles require some strong outside forces. Same thing pertains to fertilizers .. it‘s all the same thing until finally there’s enough demand to get the big boys to change up their product line.
That’s exactly what happened to me...when we hired the company to put the yard back together after the pool build they quoted Bermuda sod. I didn’t ask more questions so I got 419 and that’s my fault. However a month later when we repaired the hill side I made sure to get Tiftuf. Lesson learned. I’m hoping in a few years when the 419 is more mature and established its high maintenance will diminish. But right now it’s like a whiney little spoiled baby crying all the time. Needs constant attention. The tiftuf is like a grown adult. Doesn’t need much but some food and cutting.
419 is for the golf fairway or sports field with the Super and his crew giving it constant attention. That is not really going to change over time. There are almost no 419 lawns in Hawaii. Too fragile.
I’ve really considered overseeding the 419 with Arden 15. Just not sure if it would out compete the 419.

Post Reply