Need assistance interpreting these soil test results.....

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
Topic Author
nebulli
Grass Type: KBG, Fescue, Rye Mix
Lawn Size: 23K Sq. Ft.
Mower: Cub Cadet LTX 1042 KW

Need assistance interpreting these soil test results.....

Post by nebulli »

Hello Folks, I finally received my soil test results today after submitting my samples back in Mid-March. Covid-19 shut everything down and really set me back some...

Anyway, I am new to lawn care and trying to learn what I need to do to make sure I am giving my lawn best chance grow healthy and strong. I would appreciate any help you all can give based on the results. To date, I have applied the following
to my lawn....
April 2020
Applied Milorganite Fert @12.8 lbs/1 ksqft
Applied Prodiamine @ 3lbs / 1ksqft (1/2 rate) First App
May 2020
Applied Prodiamine @ 3lbs / 1ksqft (1/2 rate) Second/Last App for year
June 2020

Here are the results of my lawn test before these applications.

Any help on what I should do to get my levels up where you think maybe needed. Not sure if my situation is dire since this is new to me but how can I raise some of these levels in the quickest way vs most economical way.

Thank you for your help.

Neb

gatorguy
Grass Type: Cool Season
Lawn Size: 2200 sq. ft
Mower: Mclane20,HRX217,HusqvarnaMZT52

Re: Need assistance interpreting these soil test results.....

Post by gatorguy »

A 14-14-28 type product may fit the bill. Or else a 0-0-50 for your K along with a starter fertilizer like 16-32-6 for your P

Your pH is super low. Pound on the High-Cal like monthly like 5 -10 lb/m it will raise your pH and give you Calcium.

I'm sure others will have better ideas, hopethis helps.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

This is a typical MA soil. You need 150lb/ksqft of lime to raise your pH. This will take years. I think you should use calcitic lime. Try to find the cheap stuff (not fast acting). If you find it, do 75lb/ksqft now. Then next spring do 50lb, and fall 25lb.

P, K and Sulfur can use a boost. Focus on the lime first. Try to find SOP for the K and sulfur. For P Milo works, but $$$. Folks in MA use another biosolid, oceangro or baystate. I don't remember the name. Check the hometown folder for local sources.

A balanced fert might be a good option for you too. Check the soil remediation guide for more details.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

I just checked your lawn size. You might want to check to get a pallet of lime delivered.

gatorguy
Grass Type: Cool Season
Lawn Size: 2200 sq. ft
Mower: Mclane20,HRX217,HusqvarnaMZT52

Post by gatorguy »

Maybe get a local farm supply to drop off a 2000lb bulk bag of it. Probably much cheaper in the end vs paying for packaging.

Topic Author
nebulli

Post by nebulli »

g-man wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 am
This is a typical MA soil. You need 150lb/ksqft of lime to raise your pH. This will take years. I think you should use calcitic lime. Try to find the cheap stuff (not fast acting). If you find it, do 75lb/ksqft now. Then next spring do 50lb, and fall 25lb.

P, K and Sulfur can use a boost. Focus on the lime first. Try to find SOP for the K and sulfur. For P Milo works, but $$$. Folks in MA use another biosolid, oceangro or baystate. I don't remember the name. Check the hometown folder for local sources.

A balanced fert might be a good option for you too. Check the soil remediation guide for more details.
Thanks for response. I will start looking for lime and you are correct, in MA, biosolid is Baystate. Thank you for the link to the Soil Remediation guide...lots of good info there.

Topic Author
nebulli

Post by nebulli »

gatorguy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:38 pm
Maybe get a local farm supply to drop off a 2000lb bulk bag of it. Probably much cheaper in the end vs paying for packaging.
Crazy....they make bags that big? I will start asking around for some options. Thank you.