A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
Topic Author
cperry7467
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 12,000sq ft
Mower: Walk behind

New House, Soil Test

Post by cperry7467 »

Hey I'm new to the board. Just moved into a new house, new construction where KY bluegrass sod was used. The lawn is thin so I had a soil test done. The products recommended are sold out, anyone have any advice on where to start? They recommend lowering the pH, adding a 14-14-14 and adding micronutrients. The Pennington 14-14-14 they recommended is sold out, any recommended alternatives? Also do you think it's worth it to lower the pH and add micros?

Ridgerunner
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Re: New House, Soil Test

Post by Ridgerunner »

Whoever sold you that soil test and made the recommendations owes you your money back. Gypsum will not lower pH.

Topic Author
cperry7467
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 12,000sq ft
Mower: Walk behind

Post by cperry7467 »

I noticed that too and scratched my head a little. But the results are consistent with another test I did with my local county extension office. Mainly the low P and K. I've never had to address that before. I see things like TSP and SOP but I've never used them before. Looking for good brands and application rates. Most of what I see are meant for gardens, just don't want to kill my grass.

ksturfguy
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20,000 sqft
Mower: Gravely Pro-Stance

Post by ksturfguy »

Like their recommendation said I would apply a balanced fert like a 14-14-14 or 13-13-13, something that gives you a good percentage of all N-P-K. With new sod a starter fert would also be a good option to help develop the roots.

OnTheLawn
Lawn Size: 1400
Mower: Great States 18” Reel

Post by OnTheLawn »

Gypsum? For a lawn high in calcium? Hmmmm. Definitely not going to lower the pH. You’re not too far off from what’s ideal, so taking a long term approach is gonna be best. As far as what to use, that’s above my pay grade. I would send both of your test results to John Perry (lawncology.com) and pay him $15 to analyze and recommend a program/products. Unless I’m missing something, I just don’t see how gypsum will help lower pH.
2020 Lawn Journal
GCI TTTF Renovation
Southern NJ

ksturfguy
Lawn Size: 20,000 sqft
Mower: Gravely Pro-Stance

Post by ksturfguy »

I wouldn't pay an extra $15 for John Perry to tell you what anyone knowledgeable on here could tell you. Your lawn is brand new, it's lacking pretty much everything. The pH I wouldn't worry about too much its not too far off.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 29603 sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

Lower pH with sulfur 21-0-0 ammonium sulfate. Man don't spend money you don't have to. Everyone selling something and most of this stuff you do not need.
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial