Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

J_nick's Riviera Reno 2017

Post by J_nick »

I plan to do a renovation this spring. My yard is around 13,500 sqft and is common Bermuda with some improved common (Sahara) in a few places from a seeding in 2015 when I didn't know much about planting grass seed.

The main reason I'm doing a renovation is that my lawn is very bumpy. It will take a lot of dirt work to fix the issue. Walking arcossed the back yard every step is a elevation change right now.

I installed an irrigation system in June 2016, I did most of it myself with some help from my dad. Let me tell you a couple days of hard labor was worth every drop of sweat once you turn it on. Before it took me 2 days to water my lawn and now it takes 6 hours. The irrigation covers around 8,500 sqft. I left additional zones open for expanding the system at a later date. I would like to get the hell strip done this spring - summer it's just under 2,000 sqft.

My plan is to renovate the 8,500 sqft section that I would call my main yard. Once green up has began I will start spraying glyphosate and work on knocking down the Bermuda that is there now. I know it's almost impossible to kill Bermuda once it's established but I'm hoping multiple rounds of glyphosate and the dirt work will let the new grass take hold and have the advantage and choke out the lesser quality grass (which I've witnessed over the last growing season the Sahara take over the common Bermuda).

I plan on renting a Harley Rake and going over the yard leveling and smoothing out the soil. I'm also making a Land Plane to attach to my lawn tractor to level more once the ground has settled. I also have a drag mat and lawn roller I will be using.

I'm trying to secure some Latitude 36 Bermuda sprigs from a sod farm. So far not so much luck but I've talked to a couple different contractors and they were pretty confident they could purchase them for me if I needed them to. I will exhaust all options before I give up on the sprigs. If all that fails I will be seeding Riviera Bermuda. All the main dirt work will be the same for sprigs vs seed expect a few differences the day its goes down. I would much rather use sprigs 1. L36 is the highest quality Bermuda on the market and 2. You can use a pre emergent. I found online where you can buy Ronstar. It's a pre emergent that golf coarses use when they sprig. It's mode of action is different than many preM's as it doesn't affect root growth.

My plan is to try and have the sprigs/seed in the ground around the beginning of June. We have a lot of 100*F days in June and that will get the grass going strong. It will also give the grass a few months of growth before going dormant.

Here are some good articles for either sprigging or seeding.

Sprigging: http://www.stma.org/sites/stma/files/ST ... agrass.pdf

Seeding: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/MP477.pdf

Oh and I forgot to mention being from Oklahoma and a fan of OSU Cowboys I made sure that they developed the grass I will have on my lawn. Latitude 36 and Riviera Bermudagrass are both at the top of NTEP rankings for vegetative and seeded varieties.
Last edited by J_nick on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated link

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Re: J_nick's Spring Reno 2017

Post by Redtenchu »

I'm excited to follow this thread!

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

+1, this is going to be epic.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

It will be interesting to watch for sure!!!

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 6,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Cool

Post by dfw_pilot »

No pressure. We're all counting on you! Looking forward to the progress.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Weeds

Post by Ware »

I probably wouldn't worry too much about no spring pre-e/summer weed pressure in year one - that's something you can easily whip back into shape once the bermuda takes off.

Also consider that if your plan is multiple applications of Roundup through the end of May, that's going to take care of any weeds that happen to germinate in the spring - when weed pressure is heaviest.
Last edited by Ware on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

A couple months ago I had talked to my local Sunbelt Rental to see if I could rent a Harley Rake. The guy told me they didn't have one in stock but could get one in a a few days. While checking their website the closest one is in Joplin, MO. This worries me about them being able to get one in. So today I've been calling and seeing what other rental places have them just in case. I'll be doing a daily rental so from the time I pick it up I have 24 hours to return it to them (glad it wasn't the same business day). This tool will be an essential part of the Reno and don't know if it will be feasible to do without it.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 6,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Transport

Post by dfw_pilot »

I wonder if that location of the Harley changes all the time? If so, it may be no big deal that it's in MO today, OKC the next week, and Tulsa after that. I wouldn't let that stall you - a quick call to the guy may sort out that concern. Good idea to have a backup plan, though.
Last edited by dfw_pilot on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

Yeah that could very much be true. I'd say it's more to ease my mind having a backup plan in case #1 falls through.

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

As of now it looks like the sprigs are not going to happen. Sod farms just don't want to deal with it since it's so small of a project. The landscaping contractor I was talking to put me in touch with the magnager of the sod farm. The cultivars i was wanting weren't at his farm they were in the farm in Tulsa. Tulsa won't even give me a call back once I say "sprigs" I would get an "oh... let me give your information to whoever".

So now I'm full bore towards the seeding. I've read so many university study's over the last week someone should send me an honorary horticulture degree. I've also read quite a few horror stories of homeowners trying seeding Bermuda, but who doesn't like a good challenge!

Starting to see a little bit of green shooting out. I hope we have a really early green up so I can start the kill sooner than expected. I want to get at least 2 good sprays of gylphosate + fusilade before the dirt work starts.

I removed an old stump from my yard last weekend. I have a 5' circle of bare dirt so it gave me the opportunity to try a few different seeding techniques and was happy with the results. Bermuda grass seed shouldn't be covered by more than 14" of soil with 18" being the sweet spot. I wanted to see what would work the best before it was seed down day and I realized I was doing it all wrong.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

What kind of seed are you thinking of going with? I've heard it's better to get it early before most of the seed suppliers run out.

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

I plan on buying Riviera, I live just over an hour west of where the grow the seed for production so I planned to just drive to Johnston Seed Company and pick it up. Thanks for the tip I plan to buy it around mid March as I'll have some extra spending money around then.

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu »

I'm excited, you'll be the first Homeowner with Riviera on the site :beer:
Last edited by Redtenchu on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iriasj2009
Grass Type: Tifgrand Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sqft
Mower: Toro gm1000

Post by Iriasj2009 »

When your seeding, all you need is patience. :dancenana:
Last edited by Iriasj2009 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

Made a trip today to the seed company, it was more uninventfull than I had thought about. Basically like going to the co-op but I did talk with one of the guys about the different fertilizers they make. They make over 10 different blends of anything you could want. I ended up buying my 25# bag of Riviera, 2 bags of 10-20-10 starter fert and 4 bags of 40-0-0 slow release. Last year I had a hard time searching for fertilizer and wish I would have stumbled onto the place. I was paying $40 for a 45# bag of 30-0-3 with 6% slow release and wasn't happy with it but it was the best I could find. I bought these 40# bags of 40-0-0 all slow release for $22.50. So as long as I don't start fertilizing with poop microbs Johnston's will be the place I'll be buying my fert from now on.

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

Another big reason I'm doing this Reno is for the picture below. I battled leaf spot all last year and it's already back. The desease tolerance of my grass is extremely low.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn »

J_nick wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm
Another big reason I'm doing this Reno is for the picture below. I battled leaf spot all last year and it's already back. The desease tolerance of my grass is extremely low.

Maybe you should get a soil test done :lol:

Topic Author
J_nick

No Turning Back Now

Post by J_nick »

Sprayed the renovation area tonight with a deadly cocktail, 1.9oz of 41% glyphosate + .55oz of Fusilade II per 1000 sqft. :shock:
Last edited by J_nick on Sat May 13, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu »

Congrats! I hope you get a good kill!

Topic Author
J_nick

Post by J_nick »

Redtenchu wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 am
Congrats! I hope you get a good kill!
Thanks Red I guess I'll know in a week or so, I'll spot spray if I missed anything. I felt like I got really good coverage though. The upgraded spray rig did a fantastic job
Last edited by J_nick on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.